Re-print of "The Smiths" Promo poster

Dave2006

I've just noticed this and it's got me thinking... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMITHS-DEBUT-...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
!BSLdKngBmk~$(KGrHgoOKkQEjlLmTodMBKB21IrsNg~~_1.JPG

There have been a few threads over the last few months discussing the Smiths Promo Posters and a few questions about 'fake' posters. This is the first time that I have seen one of the promo posters actually listed as a reprint.

To be honest, it is slightly different from the version of this poster that I have (I have 2 copies of the same one, the best of which is posted on Flax's site http://www.vulgarpicture.com/images/smiths/hi/1984/hi_1984_smiths_poster.jpg) - the text at the bottom is different.

The ebay seller is a big Smith/Moz dealer, I've bought stuff from him/her in the past and I've been happy, I don't want to raise questions about the seller - but I wonder why someone has reprinted this poster, how many have been re-printed, and whether other sellers will be as honest as to describe them as "re-prints" or whether they will try to pass them off as genuine articles.

If this one is reprinted, then why not the others as well - could become very dodgy to collect these posters unless you can vouch for their provenance.

Discuss.

Dave

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This poster and the 'I started' poster are the ones that concern me the most. They seem to end up in strange hands; sellers who know little about the smiths seem to have them. I have to say though I would be shocked if there were a lot of fakes out there, there seems to be a lot of factors that make them hard to imitate: paper thickness, colouring, smell (new inks smell stronger), etc.

Discuss further.

This is a wonderful thread; Smiths posters always struck me as exceptionally unique.
I'm getting more into collecting their posters and I'm trying to stick to strictly originals. I started off pretty good with a beautiful & pristine one from "Louder Than Bombs".

If there's anyone that is fortunate to own some of these original posters, it would be great if you guys talked about the specifics of them. Such as, paper texture/thickness or ink quality.
I think that would be a great way to help out fellow collectors here in spotting originals from fakes.

Can't say that I've noticed that new ink smells any different to old ink :lbf:

You are right that the I started something poster is in a never ending supply from one particular ebay seller. And Louder than Bombs is a different shape and on completely different paper than most - thick, almost cardboard.

I'm not a printer, so I wouldn't know how easy or difficult it was to re-print these posters - or are they simply photocopies?

There's another seller on ebay that occasionally sells "bootleg" Smiths posters - obviously fake and sold as bootleg. I bought a copy of Queen is Dead from her as it had the alternative image of Alain Delon which I thought was cool.

Dave

I've whinged about this a few times so I guess once more won't hurt.

I know that a Queen Is Dead poster I bought from someone who sells the rough trade promo posters on ebay - they never run out of them - is not the same as ones I got at the time of the release. The colours of the ink don't match although it's extremely close and you'd need to have both to see any differences. The image quality is slightly inferior in the most detailed areas too. Paper stock is very similiar but not the same.

I can't see how anyone could have so many posters in such good quality after 20+ years of them being printed.

But having said all that they are beautiful objects. Just a little cheeky to claim they're originals I think.

So for the last time I shout FAKER.

I know that a Queen Is Dead poster I bought from someone who sells the rough trade promo posters on ebay - they never run out of them - is not the same as ones I got at the time of the release. The colours of the ink don't match although it's extremely close and you'd need to have both to see any differences. The image quality is slightly inferior in the most detailed areas too. Paper stock is very similiar but not the same.

I can't see how anyone could have so many posters in such good quality after 20+ years of them being printed.

But having said all that they are beautiful objects. Just a little cheeky to claim they're originals I think.

I don't know about that particular poster but I take it you are aware from where the seller you mentioned aquired all his stock? Straight from the original source as far as I know.

I'm shocked that anyone would bother to replicate these posters? Honestly, how common can it be? Most people acknowledge they have fakes or don't know the origins, and it seems to be the same few posters.

As I've mentioned before someone tried to sell me a fake William poster, and I had never seen the original. Once I compared; it wasn't even close. The printer made everything too green. Seller admitted it was a fake before I payed, and I sent him on his merry way.

I can't see fakes being that common.

I once saw you saying something about the Hang In Glove 40x60" posters. How come someone could have a few of those for sale, in perfect condition?

Well... I have to say that I have one of those and it would be nearly impossible to duplicate. It would be so difficult to replicate the image and so expensive to reprint those that after selling 2 you would go bankrupt.

I obviously haven't seen the 2 queen is dead posters you're talking about so I have no idea what's going on there. But I can guarantee that unless you're printing dozens of thousands of 40x60" posters, there is absolutely NO way of doing it.

And from what I remember I think that seller had only 2 or 3 for sale.

So yeah... I am positive that the Hand In Glove 40x60" posters are genuine.

I don't know about that particular poster but I take it you are aware from where the seller you mentioned aquired all his stock? Straight from the original source as far as I know.

So the only possible explanation would be 2 print runs on different paper stock? I'm not convinced by that though.

I think the seller I bought from changed their ebay seller name at some stage. They stopped trading for a few months and returned with a diffrent seller name but the variety of posters & the images used to sell remained the same.

I would prefer to be wrong but the posters I've compared are simply not the same.

So the only possible explanation would be 2 print runs on different paper stock? I'm not convinced by that though.

I think the seller I bought from changed their ebay seller name at some stage. They stopped trading for a few months and returned with a diffrent seller name but the variety of posters & the images used to sell remained the same.

I would prefer to be wrong but the posters I've compared are simply not the same.

No. They still have the same name on ebay. They just don't have anything on ebay at the moment. But they're still around.

This is not my battle and I should probably not even have commented but the cries of fakes can be a bit tiresome. Mike, the seller, can speak for himself I am sure but maybe he thinks its pointless defending himself from these accusations. All I know is he has had these items for a very long time and only fairly recently decided to start selling a lot of it on ebay (he also has a website, morrisseymadness). I am only aware of two different sellernames he has used on ebay, one in his missus name. Do you think all the proof sleeves he has and have had are fakes too? All the various rejected artworks? All the works in progress with pencil drawings and notes by Jo Slee, also fake? A lot of collectors (who know their stuff) on these boards have bought from him in the past and/or from the same source. Risking his good name by making some re-prints for basically no (if any) profit is something I find highly unlikely.

I'd suggest £60 for a poster is a reasonably/extremely good profit.

(OK, so more fool me I admit but I was feeling rich at the time)

But either ways, I'm not looking for trouble here.
Should you care to come round my house and compare them just send me a message.
I live in London E1.

I would like to retract my comment 'So for the last time I shout FAKER.'

I'm going to settle for the different print run theory and run away.

Back
Top Bottom