Fantastic Bird + You Should Have Been Nice To Me

Anyone have an opinion on these tracks?
I think, from what I have heard that they are really sounding quite catchy and certainly cannot see why they have been hidden away for so long.

Honey You Know Where To Find Me also sounds really fresh compared to the version I have heard.

Love PTxx.

Anyone have an opinion on these tracks?
I think, from what I have heard that they are really sounding quite catchy and certainly cannot see why they have been hidden away for so long.

Honey You Know Where To Find Me also sounds really fresh compared to the version I have heard.

Love PTxx.

I find personal reviews of 'new' tracks are entirely subjective. But I was really looking forward to hearing them both.

Fantastic Bird is lovely but sometimes I feel he was singing too deep. It's nice and I will listen again and again, but the earth didnt move.

However, "You Should Have Been Nice To Me".......:thumb::thumb: Wow.. I love it. Its one of those songs where you can visualise him singing it in your mind. Reminds me a bit of another track but I cant put my finger on it yet. As I said before, its subjective. This is one track I would put on repeat and never tire of.

Fantastic Bird / Honey You Know Where To Find Me

Just got SG...enterprising souls can, you know...HATE the "Honey" guitar solo! oh so mawkish-rawkish, much prefer the lovely demo....fantastic bird is pretty cool for a one-take one-off...you should have been nice to me is quite pleasing to the ears...not sure about the new song order...hmm...listened to l'orginale this afternoon on a walk & really think it's strung together nicely. Hope this "legacy edition" does spur/renew interest in this criminally over-looked record...love the liner notes!

-R

My copy of Southpaw re-issue arrived today and....

On first listen "you should have been nice to me" is a lost gem. Really I can not believe this was left out completely and never even surfaced as a b-side.

The pictures are really neat inside, some really great quif shots!

Morrissey's notes throughout are really surprisingly open and honest. "I repeated my world of morrissey gaffe by gluing together very unappealing artwork - the use of other peoples faces relieved me from staring back at my own. But it didn't work, and drabness reproached me from the HMV racks, with no one to blame but myself."

As it goes, re-issue re-package etc etc! I know everyone has used this comment but if the result of every re-issue is as good as this one I will be well happy. Great packaging, at least one great "lost" song and some great new Moz photos!

Nice one. Roll on the Liverpool gig!

I absolutely adore "You Should Have Been Nice to Me." The lyrics are fantastic and it sets a real epic mood. I can see though why it was originally left off of SG, mostly because it would have clashed with all the hard, driving numbers.

"Fantastic Bird" is very interesting Your Arsenalesque material, even a touch of rockabilly. Great guitarwork by Alain. Not sure if it quite fits on this legacy disc but its an interesting listen.

Not much to say for "Honey You Know Where To Find Me". Could've been improved by a second vocal take, and doesn't really fit with the rest of the album. It seems like it could've been a b-side to "Boxers" or on "The World of Morrissey" disc. But not particularly on SG.

I have enjoyed the new material. 'You should have been nice to me' is a good song and fantastic bird sounds like something between kill uncle and your arsenal that couldn't fit on either.
Honey you know where to find me is comes accross a bit like a demo - unfinished and unpolished. But new and welcome.
All the same its more music to the armoury. I wish Maladjusted would add new material as well after all there is plenty hidden.
In my opinion the best hidden gem is 'I'm just playing easy to get'. I do hope we see this released on some sort of cd soon

I posted my thoughts on the new tracks somewhere else, but I'll re-post em here.

Honey You Know Where to Find Me. a very good song, but the vocal we have sounds so uncertain and is so unfinished. Still, this is the only one of the three new tracks that sounds like it should have been on Southpaw. I would love to see him add it to his live set.

Fantastic Bird. Good rock n' roll tune that would sound better on a reissue of Your Arsenal, if for no other reason than because that's when it was recorded. Is that a sample from Death of a Disco Dancer at the beginning?
My favorite of the new tracks.

You Should Have Been Nice to Me
is a nice little ballad. Short and bittersweet.

Fantastic Bird is the real winner. Musically, a mixture between the NYD glam efforts of the early seventies and the guitar slashing style of The Whos Pete Townshend, the whole band performs so well you cannot imagine why it was not released earlier. Even The Mozzers "one take vocal" sounds fresher and funnier as on Yshbntm & Hykwtfm.
It was produced by the late Mick Ronson (as mentioned in the liner notes), which means it must have been recorded during the Your Arsenal sessions not later on in 1992 when Boz & Alain oversaw the recording of some b-sides

Absolutely love 'You Should Have Been Nice To Me' and 'Honey, You Know Where To Find Me', not soooo in love with 'Fantastic Bird' but it's a lovely addition.

Really all it serves is to show how much more exciting Morrissey was back in the late 90s, to where he is at this moment in time. Though my feelings for Years Of Refusal have somewhat softened since it's release, I don't think it comes closer to most of the songs on Southpaw Grammar or Maladjusted.
Sure both the albums have their weaker moments (still can't stand 'The Teachers Are Afraid...', 'Southpaw', 'Ambitious Outsiders' or 'This Is Not Your Country') but on the whole the albums both play astonishingly well. Years Of Refusal still sounds like a collection of OK songs, as opposed to a strong, complete body of work.

Fantastic Bird sounds like it was recorded simultaneously with Let the Right One Slip In. Very similar feel and energy. Nevertheless, a nice little gem and, frankly, one that would have been a more welcome B-side than You've Had Her. I find Morrissey's comments that Fantastic Bird is part of the riddle interestingly evasive. Perhaps there is some tie to be found that makes this a logical choice to include on Southpaw?

You Should Have Been Nice to Me and Honey... are both nice enough, but they clearly don't fit the "Southpaw sound." They would have made nice studio B-sides to The Boy Racer.

Cheers,
Jamie

Honey You Know Where To Find Me sounds nearly identical to the demo, which is great! however, it also still sounds like, simply another cool moz b side lol. Fantastic Bird, mmmmmmmm definitely feel the Your Arsenal(my fav) vibe on this track that everyone talks about but you can tell by how Morrissey sings, that it was recorded during the SP sessions. A great track for sure. You Should Have Been Nice To Me however, is worth the oh so many set backs of this records re-release. Words cant describe. :eek: Best track

Fantastic Bird, mmmmmmmm definitely feel the Your Arsenal(my fav) vibe on this track that everyone talks about but you can tell by how Morrissey sings, that it was recorded during the SP sessions.

Perhaps the vocal was recorded later, but if you take a look at the sixth image on post #458 on the Southpaw thread, the sleeve note states that Fantastic Bird was recorded in 1992 and produced by Mick Ronson.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=94832&page=23

Cheers,
Jamie

The vocals on "fantastic bird" difinitely represent the Morrissry of 1992. From my point of view there can be no doubt about it. The way he winds up the song is so typical for this era "Cause when you land all do I hear is my voice
Welcome I love you, don't you see don't you see". Musically much the vein of "Let the right one slip in" as someone stated earlier. It's a tour de force which beats the other 2 outtakes by a mile.

Can't take my ears off this song. Long live Your Arsenal!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom