Warehouse worker nominated for Novello Award

anon x

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/22/musicindustry
"Nick Hemming, 35, originally from Staffordshire, now finds himself in competition with Elbow and The Last Shadow Puppets after being shortlisted for the best song musically and lyrically at the Ivor Novello awards.

It is the first time in the awards' 54-year history that a self-published musician has been nominated in the prestigious category.

Hemming, who wraps fabric in a furniture warehouse, is also a songwriter in the little-known indie band The Leisure Society. He has been nominated for the song The Last of the Melting Snow, which was self-published and self-produced."

Never heard of them before but after listening to this on youtube ,think i'll investigate them a bit more:

[youtube]2W9EvsP_fYI&eurl[/youtube]

Rightfully so, A great song, from a great album.I have loved this song from the first moment I heard it.Hopefully this announcement gives them some well deserved press.

Oh that's great,
I saw 'the leisure society' recently and they were really great.

So here's to the underdog!

Wow, a perfect mix of their flutes and sweetness and George's excellent songmanship. Thank you!

Actually, if i had to choose a favourite Beatle it would be Mr Harrison, can't do with PM.

Last edited:
Thank you for the song, good sir.

A pleasure as ever.
They're re-releasing "The Sleeper" album on the excellent 'Full Time Hobby' label in Oct, it will include this bonus disc:
1. Save It For Someone Who Cares (Single Version)
2. A Short Weekend Begins With Longing (Original Demo)
3. Cars (Gary Numan Cover)
4. A Passing Thought
5. Pancake Day
6. If God Did Give Me A Choice
7. Bonafide
8. The Wayfarer
This is their marvellous take on Gary Numan's Cars which i was lucky enough to witness first hand at a gig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom