WE should give moz a contract!

O

observer

If all the registered users of this site club together (over 4000 registered users) surely we could create our own label and become shareholders. The album could be sold through this site etc, come on ideas wanted?

I think this is a nice idea in principle. However, the problem is the *amount* of money Morrissey wants. It's clear to me that Morrissey isn't interested in an indie label. He has rejected numerous offers because they were too low in dollar terms.

4000 people isn't that many. Lets say Morrissey wants, a minimum of US$1,000,000. (And this is a *very* conservative estimate.) That's US$250 per person, asuming everyone contribtes. That's close on NZ$600 for me, or about what I earn in a week. I work hard for that money, and I object in principle to bankrolling a multimillionaire because he can't get off his arse and release something off his own back.

Think about it .... how rich is Morrissey? He could get a couple of web designers, a decent manager and a couple of staff and set up his own label. He could afford to record the album himelf, independantly release it over the web, get distribution etc. This way he'd actually make a hell of a lot *more* money because there would be no middleman.

Well, that's how I see it. I remeber Morrissey slagging off "Live Aid", saying that the people donating were the working class of Englan - the people who could least afford it - whereas the government and the crown could solve the problem without blinking." I think the same situation applies here. Why should a bunch of students, sales assistants and office workers bankroll a multimillionaire artist who is supposedly "desperate" to release new material.

my sentiments exactly

> Think about it .... how rich is Morrissey? He could get a couple of web
> designers, a decent manager and a couple of staff and set up his own
> label. He could afford to record the album himelf, independantly release
> it over the web, get distribution etc. This way he'd actually make a hell
> of a lot *more* money because there would be no middleman.

I've often wondered why Morrissey hasn't pursued the internet as a means of releasing his next album (Irish Blood, English Heart?). Like you said, there'd be no 'middleman' and all profit from the sales would be his. He'd bank a hell of a lot more doing it himself over going through the greedy corporate machine and he wouldn't have to contend with finding the perfect deal.

It's too bad Morrissey won't surface for a Q&A. I'd love to know his thoughts/feelings on such an idea. His whole 'lay in waiting' concept is growing old. If he is in fact giving up and going into retirement, he could at least give the people who gave him his bankroll some feedback on the issue, if nothing else as a thank you and show of appreciation.

> If all the registered users of this site club together (over 4000
> registered users) surely we could create our own label and become
> shareholders. The album could be sold through this site etc, come on ideas
> wanted?

If I didn't believe Morrissey actually takes us (the fans) all for granted now, and feels he doesn't need to really try any more.. and to rest on his laurels, then why should we subsidise him.. unless he issues a statement of formal retirement, he must be turning down better offers than anything we could ever throw in the hat.

Ahh well my lad, your hearts in the right place..

> I think this is a nice idea in principle. However, the problem is the
> *amount* of money Morrissey wants. It's clear to me that Morrissey isn't
> interested in an indie label. He has rejected numerous offers because they
> were too low in dollar terms.

> 4000 people isn't that many. Lets say Morrissey wants, a minimum of
> US$1,000,000. (And this is a *very* conservative estimate.) That's US$250
> per person, asuming everyone contribtes. That's close on NZ$600 for me, or
> about what I earn in a week. I work hard for that money, and I object in
> principle to bankrolling a multimillionaire because he can't get off his
> arse and release something off his own back.

> Think about it .... how rich is Morrissey? He could get a couple of web
> designers, a decent manager and a couple of staff and set up his own
> label. He could afford to record the album himelf, independantly release
> it over the web, get distribution etc. This way he'd actually make a hell
> of a lot *more* money because there would be no middleman.

> Well, that's how I see it. I remeber Morrissey slagging off "Live
> Aid", saying that the people donating were the working class of
> Englan - the people who could least afford it - whereas the government and
> the crown could solve the problem without blinking." I think the same
> situation applies here. Why should a bunch of students, sales assistants
> and office workers bankroll a multimillionaire artist who is supposedly
> "desperate" to release new material.

you know...yeah.

the thing is, i was thinking today...which is usually not a good thing, but here it goes: I'm sorta worried about the quality of an album that rested strictly on how much someone was willing to pay him for it.

i know that most of us demand to be paid what we are worth. baseball players whine. cashier workers whine. but in the end, they find a way to keep going on. you don't see baseball players retiring because of the salary cap. you didn't see football players pulling out because the money wasn't there. it's usually because of injury or they're too old. even all of the other artists who were let go from their labels, for the most part they didn't take that time to hang it up. they kept onward because it was something they enjoyed doing or that they understood that they did really well.

i'm not saying he's necessarily greedy or anything. i'm just wondering if he actually enjoys what he does anymore. Signing to a label doesn't mean they are going to break into his bank and steal his money. He would be compensated in some way as he isn't some struggling young artist who is having to prove themselves. They would try and get him decent producers and give him what perks he wants when he's on tour. And knowing that, and the fact that he wouldn't be any worse off for signing a simple deal makes me wonder about the true state of things. what he really wants these days. why he would prefer sitting at home and watching the loonies scale his gate rather than getting out. that sort of thing.

A group of people such as ourselves couldn't do that, because as optimistic as this other person was, we are in no position to march up to MTV, the radio stations, or Tower Records and demand anything. Producing an album is not enough at this point. You have to market the thing. And I don't think the internet is going to pay off that well as his only customers would be the people who come here. It's not a large pool to drink from. As a group, this might be his fiercest followers, but it doesn't eliminate many problems. Like who is in charge of the order taking and who gets paid and who does the taxes and who is the label representative. It's a great tool if you are someone who started out like Belle and Sebastian and are a roots campaign sort of band, but from what i see, moz likes everything to look polished and presented on a platter. A label composed of nutheads such as ourselves can't really speak the language or make the most of an album.

..or maybe....

maybe he's afraid what people would say if he took a lesser amount. and especially if he did and the album sales or reviews were what they could be, and then he'd have to hear people say, "see? we told you he wasn't worth what he was asking!"

Re: WE can't/won't even buy his Best of ... CD!

> wanted?

This stingy group couldn't/wouldn't even chip in enough to buy Morrissey a Christmas card!

> wanted?

I've never understood why Morrissey doesn't try and distribute
something, at least a single, through this web site.
It would be so easy. I'm not saying he should
release sh*t for the rest of his career that way,
but come on, throw us a few crumbs while we
wait for the next album! I used to think he
was punk rock!

(And I don't mean MP3s. That stuff is alien to me.)

Re: WE can't/won't even buy his Best of ... CD!

> This stingy group couldn't/wouldn't even chip in enough to buy Morrissey a
> Christmas card!

???

I did!

:^(

Hey! Suzanne...

Let's hang out. We can wax each other's bikini lines. I'll let you braid my armpit hair. You like me.

> ???

> I did!

> :^(

Re: i bought the best of morrissey even though I'd already heard all the songs...

so give it as a gift to someone who hasn't heard them. NM

NM

Back
Top Bottom