Morrissey's best band line-up

• 1999 - 2000: Boz, Alain, Gary and Spike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King Leer

Leering since '97
Poll Request: Morrissey's Best solo band lineup

Here's a new one -- I want to request someone else to post a poll of which is Morrissey's best LIVE solo lineup, going all the way from Gannon/Rourke/Joyce at Wolverhampton to today's crew of Boz/Solomon/Matt/Jesse/Christopher and every incarnation between.

I really want to see the results and read the comments, but I'm too busy to type up all the lineup members! Por favor!

Re: Poll Request: Morrissey's Best solo band lineup

Boz
Alain
Gary
Spencer

Here's a new one -- I want to request someone else to post a poll of which is Morrissey's best LIVE solo lineup, going all the way from Gannon/Rourke/Joyce at Wolverhampton to today's crew of Boz/Solomon/Matt/Jesse/Christopher and every incarnation between.

I really want to see the results and read the comments, but I'm too busy to type up all the lineup members! Por favor!

Kristopher ;)

Current band sans Kris and with Mikey V. Fact. FACT.

1.Wolverhampton:
Andy Rourke
Mike Joyce
Craig Gannon

2.1991-1993:
Boz
Alain
Gary
Spencer

3.1995-1997:
Boz
Alain
Johnny Bridgwood
Spencer

4.1999-2000:
Boz
Alain
Gary
Spike T Smith

5.2002-2004:
Boz
Alain
Gary
Dean Butterworth
Mike Farrell

6.2004-2006:
Boz
Jesse
Gary
Matt Walker
Mike Farrell

7.2007-present:
Boz
Jesse
Solomon
Matt
Kristopher Pooley

Alright, I'm going to post a poll thread and merge with this.

Last edited:

Oh, and to be controversial, I want to make it clear.

Matt Walker > Deano > Spencer > Joyce > Smith

Solomon Walker > Gary Day

That was quick! Now I can sit back and enjoy.

Whoops on the Kristopher spelling. And isn't it supposed to be "Jonny" Bridgwood? (hear his new slightly Morrissey/Bowie-like song on his Myspace page)

I guess the Little Barrie one-off doesn't count as a lineup, but maybe someone really liked him...sniff. And wasn't there a one-off keyboardist?

Hmmm. I think Matt gives it his all and his work on Years really drives the album (tracks like Mama and I'm OK especially) but Spencer pips him in the finesse department. Deano improved a lot throughout the Quarry era.

Solomon Walker is a lot more animated on stage and I like his fuzz bass solos but Gary was cooler. And Gary's work on Ringleader really stood out -- he was coming into his own on stuff like Pigsty.

Oh, and for the record I'd love it to be the Morrissey classic solo lineup (Boz,
Alain, Gary, Spencer) with the addition of Mikey.

Last edited:
The one off (well, technically three off) keyboardist was Vincent Jones.

I agree 100 % although I'd put Deano as probably the worst drummer he's had, he just seemed so boring and lifeless, his drummng could have easily been that of a DAT recorder.

That being said I would go for the line up of

Boz
Jesse
Solomon Walker
Matt Walker
Mike Farrell

Really dont like what Pooley brings to the table, but other than that the current line up rocks .. at least gig/live wise ... Matt just pounds those drums and brings them to life, Solomon's fuzzy/thundering bass is badass, Boz is just Boz and that's enough, Jesse has lifted his game which brings some energy to the show and I prefer his attempts at Johnny Marr's guitar over Boz and Alain's.
I think Alain is Moz's best song writing partner though since Johnny but as I said, basing this purely on live performances rather than writing credentials.

Jesse has lifted his game which brings some energy to the show and I prefer his attempts at Johnny Marr's guitar over Boz and Alain's.

These are always "agree to disagree" ventures, but it's been a while since I've had a go at Tobias.

So Jesse's continued cack-handed attempts to find half a clue of a melody for his compositions are excused because he can do lifeless karaoke versions of Smiths (MOST Smiths songs - his predominance on This Charming Man renders it into a formless lump) which should ALWAYS be the secondary (if not tertiary) focus at Morrissey's shows? Something is wrong with this picture. He and Solomon are absolute boors to watch on stage.

I enjoy the fact that Jerry Finn didn't like I'm OK By Myself. I wish he had lived to convince Morrissey that it is a weak B-side AT BEST. Somebody needs to stop this clown from co-writing Morrissey's songs while he still has a legacy remaining. Schedule an intervention with Morrissey if it's necessary.

Yes, I get that Alain is not going to play live with Morrissey anymore and may not wish to - but Morrissey can and should do better than Jesse Tobias. And those blinded by Solomon Walker's aesthetic appeal have suddenly overrated him, too. Better than Gary Day? We'll see if he makes half as much progression if he sticks around for a decade.

It's not being "nostalgic" or "stuck in the past" when the replacements are not a patch on the originals. At least Matt Walker's skills imply Morrissey has SOME quality control in his band selections left.

Cheers,
Jamie

Does anybody know if I can download "I was Morrissey's drummer" anywhere? And if yes, where?

Please search downloads forum. Type Andrew Peresi in search function.
Some download links are still available.

These are always "agree to disagree" ventures, but it's been a while since I've had a go at Tobias.

So Jesse's continued cack-handed attempts to find half a clue of a melody for his compositions are excused because he can do lifeless karaoke versions of Smiths (MOST Smiths songs - his predominance on This Charming Man renders it into a formless lump) which should ALWAYS be the secondary (if not tertiary) focus at Morrissey's shows? Something is wrong with this picture. He and Solomon are absolute boors to watch on stage.

I enjoy the fact that Jerry Finn didn't like I'm OK By Myself. I wish he had lived to convince Morrissey that it is a weak B-side AT BEST. Somebody needs to stop this clown from co-writing Morrissey's songs while he still has a legacy remaining. Schedule an intervention with Morrissey if it's necessary.

Yes, I get that Alain is not going to play live with Morrissey anymore and may not wish to - but Morrissey can and should do better than Jesse Tobias. And those blinded by Solomon Walker's aesthetic appeal have suddenly overrated him, too. Better than Gary Day? We'll see if he makes half as much progression if he sticks around for a decade.

It's not being "nostalgic" or "stuck in the past" when the replacements are not a patch on the originals. At least Matt Walker's skills imply Morrissey has SOME quality control in his band selections left.

Cheers,
Jamie

Well we must respectfully agree to disagree when it comes to jesse. My preference of Solomon over Gary is nothing to do with aesthetics even though you're probably not addressing me personally alone here, as a straight guy I really couldn't care who looks like what.. but he has flare and the most interesting bass that a Morrissey band member has produced in a long time. Gary is ok, but to me he's just an average bass player, he did his job but he didn't seem to excell in any way .. Solomon has made his mark and I don't think it's detracted from the songs so I'm all for more of him.

I don't think Tobias is an overly excellent guitarist, I'm sure Morrissey can find much better, he's written some very average songs for Moz .. I really like OK by myself and All you need is me though .. but I just prefer his stage presence and I find his rendition of songs pretty good ... I'm a fan of the new harder edged TCM, sure it isn't as delicate as the original and some may argue it's uglier for lack of a better term, but it's not bad, it's just different.
Like I say though, basing my best band formation purely on live performances, if it were studio/song writing partnerships then Alain would replace Jesse for sure. Jesse to me a good session muso, can handle a guitar well but shouldn't be included in the creative process.

I found Alain quite dull on stage besides his odd banter with Moz and since Boz doesn't do his dance routines anymore Jesse just brings a bit of spice to the stage, he'll come out of his shell a bit and walk around and act like he's getting into the show ... Alain for the most part just seemed to stand stionary and play likewise and even more so with Gary. Of course no one wants or expects them to take over and become focal points of the gig but lifeless bands bore the hell out of me, show some passion.

Back
Top Bottom