Morrissey's Best Band Line-Up

Morrissey's best band line-up

• 1999 - 2000: Boz, Alain, Gary and Spike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Poll Request: Morrissey's Best solo band lineup

Well we must respectfully agree to disagree when it comes to jesse. My preference of Solomon over Gary is nothing to do with aesthetics even though you're probably not addressing me personally alone here, as a straight guy I really couldn't care who looks like what.. but he has flare and the most interesting bass that a Morrissey band member has produced in a long time. Gary is ok, but to me he's just an average bass player, he did his job but he didn't seem to excell in any way .. Solomon has made his mark and I don't think it's detracted from the songs so I'm all for more of him.

I don't think Tobias is an overly excellent guitarist, I'm sure Morrissey can find much better, he's written some very average songs for Moz .. I really like OK by myself and All you need is me though .. but I just prefer his stage presence and I find his rendition of songs pretty good ... I'm a fan of the new harder edged TCM, sure it isn't as delicate as the original and some may argue it's uglier for lack of a better term, but it's not bad, it's just different.
Like I say though, basing my best band formation purely on live performances, if it were studio/song writing partnerships then Alain would replace Jesse for sure. Jesse to me a good session muso, can handle a guitar well but shouldn't be included in the creative process.

I found Alain quite dull on stage besides his odd banter with Moz and since Boz doesn't do his dance routines anymore Jesse just brings a bit of spice to the stage, he'll come out of his shell a bit and walk around and act like he's getting into the show ... Alain for the most part just seemed to stand stionary and play likewise and even more so with Gary. Of course no one wants or expects them to take over and become focal points of the gig but lifeless bands bore the hell out of me, show some passion.
So you're willing to take someone who "isn't an overly excellent guitarist" (your words) over someone who is superior in both performing and songwriting simply because you feel he is "dull onstage" (your words again)?

Obviously something is very much wrong with your logic and taste.

Jesse Tobias can do all the open handed power chords, dips and intense facial expressions he likes but he is still a horrid guitar player and songwriter. I've seen people who take home videos of themselves and post it on YouTube who are more proficient than Jesse Tobias. Tobias has single-handedly led Morrissey down an abysmal path of mediocrity and career stagnation through his poor writing and butchering of other people's work, both live and in the studio.

If Morrissey is content with keeping Tobias in the band, then he may as well just commit career suicide now and save us all the torture of another album.

That being said I would go for the line up of

Boz
Jesse
Solomon Walker
Matt Walker
Mike Farrell

That was my vote.. "Other" which was not a poll choice.

The poll is really about what lineups have actually existed rather than what you would like to have -- but "Other" fits that scenario fine.

Jesse -- his compositions are still very linear and simplistic, but I really enjoy Sorry nowadays. I'm OK... I like overall and think it has the energy for an album closer, but if you were to hear the music standalone it'd be, as Jamie said, a b-side at best. I've never seen Jesse on stage, but the guy never cracks a smile or really engages the audience, despite his playing efforts. Alain always added a really good vibe to proceedings. I'm probably way off base but I think he was always the brunt of Morrissey's jokes because Moz was a ever so slightly jealous of him.

I just think Moz is physically driven by Jesse's work for its bull-headed forward motion (he stated I'm OK is his own favourite track). Meanwhile Alain's range just keeps getting wider and deeper.

Boz does excellent music for "pleasant" tracks (Christian Dior, Paris, The Public Image) but fares much worse with rock these days (That's How...).

Kristopher Pooley's work ranges from mondo bad to strangely inspired. He's all over the map so it's hard to judge, but there's something there. Mikey was a big loss, though.

About Solomon being eye candy -- that's exactly the criticisms leveled at the original "Lads" lineup in the early 90s, but now they're regarded as a classic group.

So you're willing to take someone who "isn't an overly excellent guitarist" (your words) over someone who is superior in both performing and songwriting simply because you feel he is "dull onstage" (your words again)?

Obviously something is very much wrong with your logic and taste.

Jesse Tobias can do all the open handed power chords, dips and intense facial expressions he likes but he is still a horrid guitar player and songwriter. I've seen people who take home videos of themselves and post it on YouTube who are more proficient than Jesse Tobias. Tobias has single-handedly led Morrissey down an abysmal path of mediocrity and career stagnation through his poor writing and butchering of other people's work, both live and in the studio.

If Morrissey is content with keeping Tobias in the band, then he may as well just commit career suicide now and save us all the torture of another album.

I said I think Alain is the better song writer, but Jesse can handle playing the songs just as well as Alain plus he just brings more in a live setting. Skill wise I don't think there is really all that much between Alain and Jesse, it's purely song writing that Alain trumps him on. I like the set up of Alain writing the songs and Jesse performing them.

So much hate for Jesse, besides the fact he's written some pretty average songs I cant see this negative impact he is having on Moz's career that is "leading him down an abysmal path". I think Moz could do much better than Jesse, but then again he could have always done much better than Alain too.

I've never seen Jesse on stage, but the guy never cracks a smile or really engages the audience, despite his playing efforts. Alain always added a really good vibe to proceedings. I'm probably way off base but I think he was always the brunt of Morrissey's jokes because Moz was a ever so slightly jealous of him.

I just think Moz is physically driven by Jesse's work for its bull-headed forward motion (he stated I'm OK is his own favourite track). Meanwhile Alain's range just keeps getting wider and deeper.

It's pretty clear that Morrissey is very fond of Jessie, and vice-versa. At the Bowery Show Moz was ecstatically embracing Jessie when the time came to take a bow. I think that younger, "bull-headed" energy is just what Morrissey needs to stay in the game. If/when Morrissey gets bored with the whole thing, he's finished.

Yes, Jessie is a bit aloof on stage, and yes, he is a mediocre songwriter at best, but I think he's improving as a guitarist - he actually did a fairly decent job a few weeks ago. Morrissey should be working with the most accomplished musicians around, no doubt about it, but it seems he has other priorities, and he could have done worse.

About Solomon being eye candy -- that's exactly the criticisms leveled at the original "Lads" lineup in the early 90s, but now they're regarded as a classic group.

Matt and Solomon are a very good rhythm section. No one in the current band is an artist that is going to push Morrissey to new creative heights (which is unfortunate), but they have a raw, visceral energy that Morrissey obviously enjoys, and I think they are definitely a musical asset (it doesn't hurt that they are very, very easy on the eyes). If Morrissey were to replace them tomorrow, they would be missed.

Boz is the essential player, and Alain is a great writing partner. Both should be a part of the process, always. It would be wonderful if Alain made a stage appearance from time-to-time.

It really is a shame that Mike Farrell left the band - Pooley isn't quite up to the task yet.

Yeah pooley is the biggest weak link, how anyone can complain about Jesse when Pooley is still around is beyond me. His work on this tour is disgraceful (besides Seasick, I actually quite like his dreamy keyboards with that). Mikey was talented in the sense that he could do so much on stage ... those synth trumpet keyboards in Carol as just horrible, as is what One day goodbye will be farewell has become too ... i used to love the horn intro to that, seems it was dropped when Pooley came because he couldn't play it.

I quite enjoyed what Mikey brought to the table originally, but when compared to the virtual shit-show that is Pooley, Mikey looks like a genius.
I think the current line-up does a good job (with the exception of Pooley), but nothing can match the background vocals from the 91-93 era. Whenever I listen to old bootlegs of something like "My Love Life"
from 91-93, the backing vocals almost give me the chills (in a good way).
Was that Gary or Alain? Anyone?

Alain and Boz. Mostly Alain.

I quite enjoyed what Mikey brought to the table originally, but when compared to the virtual shit-show that is Pooley, Mikey looks like a genius.
I think the current line-up does a good job (with the exception of Pooley), but nothing can match the background vocals from the 91-93 era. Whenever I listen to old bootlegs of something like "My Love Life"
from 91-93, the backing vocals almost give me the chills (in a good way).
Was that Gary or Alain? Anyone?

Not just 91-93. Alain's backing vocals are an unsung loss (pardon the pun) in his live departure and added extra clarity to the studio albums, something sorely lacking on Years of Refusal. They really added something to You Are The Quarry and Ringleader especially, but think of how unique Southpaw sounded with Alain singing through his live guitar pick-up - something that even started back on Vauxhall / Moon River. Arguably, it is a significant sonic element on at least Southpaw. He added some really nice backgrounds to Maladjusted, also. Wide to Receive is on a whole other level because of his harmonies with Morrissey.

As I've said, in recent tours, it took both Boz AND Mikey to even come close to taking up the slack for his backing vocals.

Cheers,
Jamie

For me what's interesting about this poll is that, seeing all the lineups outlined like that, I realize I have neither the desire or the ability to distinguish any of the musicians as players. As songwriters, perhaps, but not players.

But, uh, I'll go with the 1991 line-up for sentimental reasons.

The 91-93 lineup is cleaning up. Three of the members were there for 99-2000 but it rates a big fat goose egg. Is it all down to dislike for Spike T. Smith or are people voting not the members but the era? Or a combination? Strange.

I completely forgot that Spike did a bongo version of Boxers. You can see the video and hear his work on Meat is Murder on his myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/spiketsmith

Kristopher ;)

Current band sans Kris and with Mikey V. Fact. FACT.

I second this. Although the songs that were written during the Boz, Gary, Alain, Spencer time were the best songs, I feel that live, now and with Mikey, is my cup of tea. We all know how I feel about the brothers Walker. Like it or not :p

Oh, and to be controversial, I want to make it clear.

Matt Walker > Deano > Spencer > Joyce > Smith

Solomon Walker > Gary Day

This post could be a complete joke but I would have to agree. Talent wise, I think that's just about right on. Although I might switch the order of Deano and Spencer.

I agree 100 % although I'd put Deano as probably the worst drummer he's had, he just seemed so boring and lifeless, his drummng could have easily been that of a DAT recorder.

That being said I would go for the line up of

Boz
Jesse
Solomon Walker
Matt Walker
Mike Farrell

Really dont like what Pooley brings to the table, but other than that the current line up rocks .. at least gig/live wise ... Matt just pounds those drums and brings them to life, Solomon's fuzzy/thundering bass is badass, Boz is just Boz and that's enough, Jesse has lifted his game which brings some energy to the show and I prefer his attempts at Johnny Marr's guitar over Boz and Alain's.
I think Alain is Moz's best song writing partner though since Johnny but as I said, basing this purely on live performances rather than writing credentials.

:clap:
I agree with all of this. Thank you!

When was this? Was it any good? (Re: Vincent Jones)

Pasadena, CA Feb 2007 (3 shows.) Perhaps my most favorite Morrissey adventure.

As for his skills, I can't really remember, though I doubt I was paying much attention to him.

5.2002-2004:
Boz
Alain
Gary
Dean Butterworth
Mike Farrell

No keyboardist in 2002, as far as I can recall.

Last edited:

These are always "agree to disagree" ventures, but it's been a while since I've had a go at Tobias.

So Jesse's continued cack-handed attempts to find half a clue of a melody for his compositions are excused because he can do lifeless karaoke versions of Smiths (MOST Smiths songs - his predominance on This Charming Man renders it into a formless lump) which should ALWAYS be the secondary (if not tertiary) focus at Morrissey's shows? Something is wrong with this picture. He and Solomon are absolute boors to watch on stage.

I enjoy the fact that Jerry Finn didn't like I'm OK By Myself. I wish he had lived to convince Morrissey that it is a weak B-side AT BEST. Somebody needs to stop this clown from co-writing Morrissey's songs while he still has a legacy remaining. Schedule an intervention with Morrissey if it's necessary.

Yes, I get that Alain is not going to play live with Morrissey anymore and may not wish to - but Morrissey can and should do better than Jesse Tobias. And those blinded by Solomon Walker's aesthetic appeal have suddenly overrated him, too. Better than Gary Day? We'll see if he makes half as much progression if he sticks around for a decade.

It's not being "nostalgic" or "stuck in the past" when the replacements are not a patch on the originals. At least Matt Walker's skills imply Morrissey has SOME quality control in his band selections left.

Cheers,
Jamie

Jesse really butchered the Reader Meet Author solo during this tour.

Back
Top Bottom