Football Fans Crushed To Death In Ivory Coast

AFRICA FOOTBALL DISORDER
May 2008: Two-day riot over club's relegation in Algerian city
May 2001: Stadium crush in Ghana's capital Accra kills 126
April 2001: Match stampede at Congolese city leaves 14 dead
April 2001: Crush at Ellis Park in Johannesburg leaves 43 dead
July 2001: Disorder at World Cup qualifier in Zimbabwe kills 13

That's quite a disturbing read.

Why did you have to throw 'Justice to the 96' into a post that has absolutely nothing to do with the Hillsborough disaster?

Why did you have to throw 'Justice to the 96' into a post that has absolutely nothing to do with the Hillsborough disaster?

The Hillsborough Disaster's 20th anniversary is two weeks away. If you cannot make the connection between this latest tragedy and the Hillsborough Disaster, let me know and I'll make that connection for you.

Justice For the 96

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Yes, but this is a totally different disaster. It is a little disrespectful to those that died in this disaster to start talking about a different event wouldn't you think?

Why not make a tribute thread to those victims of Hillsborough when the anniversary comes round, instead of having the ignorance to assume that this disaster should simply make people think of the British football fans that died 20 years ago as opposed to showing sympathy for those that died here.

Oh and by the way it's 'Justice For the 96' actually. I'm sure you can understand how differently 'Justice To the 96' would be taken. If you're gonna have the arrogance to assume I don't know what you're referring to at least get it right yourself.

Yes, but this is a totally different disaster. It is a little disrespectful to those that died in this disaster to start talking about a different event wouldn't you think?

Why not make a tribute thread to those victims of Hillsborough when the anniversary comes round, instead of having the ignorance to assume that this disaster should simply make people think of the British football fans that died 20 years ago as opposed to showing sympathy for those that died here.

Oh and by the way it's 'Justice For the 96' actually. I'm sure you can understand how differently 'Justice To the 96' would be taken. If you're gonna have the arrogance to assume I don't know what you're referring to at least get it right yourself.

How was it a totally different tragedy?:confused:

Thanks for correcting me on the name. I look forward to reading your future posts and will highlight any mistakes to you in a patronising way. All you had to say was ''Oh, by the way, a slight error, it's 'Justice For The 96''.

I do intend making a thread on the anniversary.
I think you will find my original post was showing sympathy for those that died over the weekend AND reminding people that English football suffered a similar fate 20 years ago. I do not think that is ignorance.
I went on one messageboard and someone said 'It was only a bunch of Africans, no big deal'. I was horrified. They were fellow football fans. Football has no boundaries or barriers. Fans are fans.

Justice For The 96

Jukebox Jury

How was it a totally different tragedy?:confused:

Thanks for correcting me on the name. I look forward to reading your future posts and will highlight any mistakes to you in a patronising way. All you had to say was ''Oh, by the way, a slight error, it's 'Justice For The 96''.

I do intend making a thread on the anniversary.
I think you will find my original post was showing sympathy for those that died over the weekend AND reminding people that English football suffered a similar fate 20 years ago. I do not think that is ignorance.
I went on one messageboard and someone said 'It was only a bunch of Africans, no big deal'. I was horrified. They were fellow football fans. Football has no boundaries or barriers. Fans are fans.

Justice For The 96

Jukebox Jury

Well for a start, 1 took place in Sheffield 20 years ago, the other took place in Ivory Coast yesterday. That's the primary reason for it being a different disaster. I'm sure if people started talking about Heysel in 2 weeks time as opposed to the Hillsborough disaster, or if people had been mentioning the ETA Madrid train bombings a day after the London 2005 bombings you would have been a bit confused as to why that was the case...wouldn't you?

Perhaps I would not have mentioned the 'Justice to...' mistake if you hadn't been patronising in the first place by telling me you could explain it all to me, as if I was some sort of stupid person who had no idea what you were on about.

Well for a start, 1 took place in Sheffield 20 years ago, the other took place in Ivory Coast yesterday. That's the primary reason for it being a different disaster. I'm sure if people started talking about Heysel in 2 weeks time as opposed to the Hillsborough disaster, or if people had been mentioning the ETA Madrid train bombings a day after the London 2005 bombings you would have been a bit confused as to why that was the case...wouldn't you?

Perhaps I would not have mentioned the 'Justice to...' mistake if you hadn't been patronising in the first place by telling me you could explain it all to me, as if I was some sort of stupid person who had no idea what you were on about.

I was being sarcastic about the 'explain it to you' not patronising.
The title of this thread is
Football fans crushed to death in Ivory Coast.
Hillsborough headline would have been
Football fans crushed to death in South Yorkshire

That's the connection, fans died in similar and tragic circumstances.

Had the Spanish train bombing been carried out by the same group of people who attacked London then YES there would have been comparisons made, don't you think?

Jukebox Jury

Terrible shame, wouldnt wish it at any football ground and yes....JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Terrible shame, wouldnt wish it at any football ground and yes....JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Nice one MozSR

I was actually at Ewood Park on the day of Hillsborough.
Rovers stuffed City 4-0.
Walking back to Mill Hills station, those fans with radios were shouting out the death total..... it kept rising every 5 minutes. At first City fans were cheering.... but they were soon told where to go and as the number kept rising, the tears were flowing.
We got the special train back to Victoria and the Pink headline was in the 60's. By the time I got home it was higher......

I went to Anfield on the Monday and attached my City baseball cap to the Shankley Gates:tears:

Jukebox Jury

Nice one MozSR

I was actually at Ewood Park on the day of Hillsborough.
Rovers stuffed City 4-0.
Walking back to Mill Hills station, those fans with radios were shouting out the death total..... it kept rising every 5 minutes. At first City fans were cheering.... but they were soon told where to go and as the number kept rising, the tears were flowing.
We got the special train back to Victoria and the Pink headline was in the 60's. By the time I got home it was higher......

I went to Anfield on the Monday and attached my City baseball cap to the Shankley Gates:tears:

Jukebox Jury

I hate it when "football" fans start singing anti-hillsbrough and munich air disaster ect ect, it is a real tragedy for the game and the country and real fans do pay respect thankfully. Rovers are away at Liverpoo on the weekend of the aniversary and hope the traveling fans pay respect(i will be from a pub in Krakow:D, think i mite have a drink for all 96)

Justice For the 96

p.s its Mill Hill, no s(i live there unfortunatley you see)

im american, id link a link please to read about this "96" :straightface:

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/home.shtm

Robby
In 1989, 96 Liverpool fans tragically died at the Hillsborough stadium before an FA Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest.

In those days, fans in the standing terrace were fenced in due to crowd violence. At Hillsborough, the area behind the goal was sectioned into four pens, fenced in on three sides.
For various reasons (traffic etc) fans arrived late.... a crush developed outside the stadium which caused concerns. The police opened an exit gate to relieve the crushing outside the ground. Unfortunately, the fans then poured into the two centre pens rather than be directed into the two outer pens that were relatively empty. Crushing then developed in the two centre pens and those at the front and middle, who had been in there for a good while were in danger. Just as the game started, fans began to scale the fences. The police, fearing a pitch invasion, batoned the fans back down until they realised what was really going on.......
By then it was too late.......
Afterwards, the newspaper The Sun, printed ''Hillsborough - The Truth'' in which it (wrongly) claimed that fans pick pocketed the dead (they were looking for ID), the police were urinated on (when you are being crushed, you urinate) and that fans were drunk (no evidence appeared). To this day, the newspaper is still boycotted by football fans in Liverpool and beyond. The paper, 10 years afterwards issued a half hearted apology but the then editor still refuses to apologise.
The main issues are around the fact that the police were accused of negligence and found not guilty..... police officers on duty that day received huge amounts of compensation for the trauma they encountered on the day. The stadium didn't even have a safety certificate....... the families of the fans who died were shafted by the enquiry and subsequant court cases and have sought justice for the 96 ever since......

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Justice for the Heysel 39!

Yes you are right, but it gets over looked quite a bit unfortunatley, dont know to much about that disaster tbh

It was more a case of hooliganism than a disaster, tbf. Although the two terms can be used in the same context.

Ok, European Cup final in Brussels, Belguim, 1985, Liverpool v Juventus.
The stadium was very archaic and badly in need of redevelopment and yet UEFA chose this to host the showcase of the season.
Segregation as ever, was the key to crowd safety. Yet UEFA allowed tickets to go on sale to fans in Belgium right next to where Liverpool fans were housed. The Belgium fans then sold these tickets on to Juventus fans on the day of the game and the two sets of fans were right next to each other. Running battles then occured between the rival fans and a wall at the front collapsed killing Juventus fans.

Whilst not in anyway advocating the violence was acceptable, again (as with Hillsborough), the responsibility for the organisation for this game was greatly lacking and as ever, it was fans who suffered.
The stadium should never have been chosen. The tickets to neutrals should never have been sold in a section next to either of the visiting fans on terraces.

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom