Play Very Loud???

Tito

i really dislike Years Of Refusal. It's the only Morrissey album I dislike.

and i think one of the reasons (besides half the songs being weak) is that it seems inappropriately loud. some songs like that mama why did ya do it song i reckon would be better if they were like mellowed vauxhall n i style.

play very loud??? bugger that. i returned my copy of Years Of Refusal back to the shop today. i'm gonna get that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind treatment to erase any memory i have of the album

and i think one of the reasons (besides half the songs being weak) is that it seems inappropriately loud. some songs like that mama why did ya do it song i reckon would be better if they were like mellowed vauxhall n i style.

I agree. It's all rock & swagger when a touch of finesse would have suited it better. Not to mention the bass sounding completely distorted (and not intentionally, like it is on "All You Need Is Me").

play very loud??? bugger that. i returned my copy of Years Of Refusal back to the shop today. i'm gonna get that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind treatment to erase any memory i have of the album

:lbf:

I'm cool with the rock swagger, but not for the whole album. While I enjoy YoR, I will agree that too many of the songs go for the loud sound, which makes some of the songs very samey.

I really dislike the production on Mama, Lay Softly on the Riverbed, though I love the song. It should sound like the live version, I think! It disappointed me greatly.

It is possible he's a changed person, maybe he doesn't want to make it sound like Vauxhall & I.

I find it difficult not to play it very loud. YOR might be my new favorite Moz record and I think it's because its loud and rocking. I think Jerry did a fine job personally. To me, nothing sounds louder or better than "I'm OK by Myself", namely due to the mixing and volume of the drums. And I like the distorted bass sound as well on previous tracks but mostly on "Goodbye...".

Play Very Loud....Gladly! :guitar:

I really dislike the production on Mama, Lay Softly on the Riverbed, though I love the song. It should sound like the live version, I think! It disappointed me greatly.

It is possible he's a changed person, maybe he doesn't want to make it sound like Vauxhall & I.

I agree. The synth's and distortion do detract from the song (IMO). However, I do like the overall sound of the album in as much as Moz is singing with the band as they play. I think it sounds better and more importantly different.

nah i didnt mean for the whole album to sound like V&I or at least of the style, but i just mean some of the songs are just loud for no reason. sometimes volume does do good to an album. say, like, Your Arsenal. THAT is an album ya can play loud.

Years of Refusal is best played on mute.

nah i didnt mean for the whole album to sound like V&I or at least of the style, but i just mean some of the songs are just loud for no reason. sometimes volume does do good to an album. say, like, Your Arsenal. THAT is an album ya can play loud.

Nothing personal but I'd have to say, :ha-no:

Sorry buddy.

I dislike this strong rock too, I'm not a rock kind of person and I miss the more subtle, charming Morrissey of the nineties.
The rest of your post, well, I forgive you.

BTW, I don't play music loudly, no matter how much I like it. I'll be hearing everything when Morrissey is completely deaf.

Ah, right, now I do know what you mean. In a way, I agree. But, then again, maybe it being loud wouldn't matter, had the production been slightly different in other parts. Perhaps if the production wasn't so clean, more gritty, which is what I really wanted from Mama.

Isn't it kind of cool that we have both the gentle, sensitive, low-volume Morrissey of the mid-90s and this newer, louder, more abrasive version? No?

Check please.

Isn't it kind of cool that we have both the gentle, sensitive, low-volume Morrissey of the mid-90s and this newer, louder, more abrasive version? No?

Check please.

well it is in a way.

kinda like with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, goin from Boatman's Call to Dig Lazarus Dig is quite similar to the V&I to YOR transgression. the only exception being Dig Lazarus Dig is a good album

well it is in a way.

kinda like with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, goin from Boatman's Call to Dig Lazarus Dig is quite similar to the V&I to YOR transgression. the only exception being Dig Lazarus Dig is a good album

I was going to reference Depeche Mode going from gay pretty boy jailbait synthpop to gay S & M black-clad synthpop but it's the same drift I suppose.

Wish you liked the album but to each his own. I barely listen to guitar-based music anymore so I find the bludgeoning wall of guitar noise kind of novel. Ballsy and defiant in its bullheaded mediocrity.

The reason I do believe for 'PLAY VERY LOUD' is to hopefully concuss the more weaker minded of you all, and to simply massage the already throbbing brains of those who DO NOT WEAR skintight jeans.

Check please.

I really did miss ya Worm. You always help me navigate the complexities of my thoughts regarding Moz. You also do it politely.:)

I'm happily willing to concede the following: YOR is full of catchy pop friendly tunes, the album starts very strong, Morrissey singing with the band brings a wonderful new energy, and it even has a fantastic cover photo.:)

However, I find (my opinion people, relax) the lyrics bland and uninspired. It seems either: Morrissey has said it better before, or one he does write a good song like "You Were Good in Your Time," he muffs it up by over dramatizing the musical ending. I buy a Morrissey record for his over-the-top theatrical lyrics and personality not his backing band's ability.

This new relaxed, and abrasive (your word) approach is perplexing. I don't begrudge the man changing (why would I), but why must the lyrics be so unclever, abrasive, and artless? His whole career has been exactly the opposite? By lowering the lyrical and metaphorical bars so low in this album, to me he opens himself up to comparison with the very pop stars he maintained "were afraid to show intelligence." With the lack of his clever wit, keen insights, and hilarious quips (IMO), YOR just becomes another pop record to be judged against other pop records, and I'm sorry but lots of other musicians make better music than Morrissey's band. Instead of the lyrical genius he IS, YOR is simply an average pop record sung by a man with a great voice about subjects any Morrissey fan would know have been done to death better.

YOR seems to me an easy out for Morrissey. Worm, as always please explain to me the error of my ways and what I'm missing here.:):confused:

play very loud???

I'm not sure how much clipping is present on "Years of Refusal." Oso Blanco, where are you? I'm certain you have much more knowledge than I on this subject!

It actually reminds me of the "play this album loud" line found inside of the Cure's "Disintegration" liner notes.

His whole career has been exactly the opposite

Not to throw out the rest of your post, which is thoughtful and interesting as always, but I wanted to focus on this line because you've got it here. There's nothing else to understand. It is an "opposite", but an opposite precisely placed within a (for the most part) carefully conceived whole.

Morrissey is going for "refusal"-- i.e. negation, just like "viva hate". Not a negation of his own past, mind you. That would be impossible anyway. He simply is his career. In every line of every song he is at one and the same time every single one of his other songs from 1983 to 2009. Going from wordy and allusive to spartan and direct isn't a rupture or a regression, it's an important new stage in a continuous evolution.

The thing is, to see why it's important, you have to have a sense of what the music isn't-- the vast negative space at the center of which his songs exist. You almost have to take the entire culture into account, not just pop music, to really get what's missing from YOR, which in turn allows you to appreciate what's there.

It's kind of hard to explain, but start by considering the possibility that there is a reason the lyrics to "All You Need Is Me" are different than "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "Frankly, Mr. Shankly". Contrasts within an artist's body of work take on more meaning when you consider everything as one coherent unity. White is a different color next to black; I like YOR because "The Queen Is Dead" is so damn brilliant.

Tags
silly child
Back
Top Bottom