johnny marr covers the smiths

Devoted101

Crashing Bore
besides johnny covering, terribly, please please please, there is a light, and meat is murder are there any other smiths covers he does live that one could share?

besides johnny covering, terribly, please please please, there is a light, and meat is murder are there any other smiths covers he does live that one could share?

If his Smiths covers are so terrible, why do you want them? :p
Sorry, I had to.
And you won't like it, but he did HSIN with Rourke for the Manchester v. Cancer thing a few years back. I don't have it, but someone around here must..

just to hear them.. curiousity... but he is just awful at covering the smiths.. he should just keep to covering the the the.. thanks i got the HSIN

just to hear them.. curiousity... but he is just awful at covering the smiths.. he should just keep to covering the the the.. thanks i got the HSIN

Does he sing them? Or just play them with someone else singing them? He's not really covering them is he, he wrote them after all, well the music anyway. He seems much more grounded than Stephen.

I think his version of Please, Please, Please is fantastic!
I also heard that he did Cemetry Gates...I have no recollection of which source I got that information from however.

Love PTxx.

I especially like Johnny'scovers of The Draize Train and Oscillate Wildly.

When Morrissey sings a Smiths song, do we refer to it as a "cover"? On his recent interview with Maconie; Morrissey said something like "I don't see any difference between Smiths songs and Morrissey songs... they are all my songs... they blur...I've only had one life..." Or something like that.

Maybe Johnny is the same - they are all his songs.

Dave

I especially like Johnny'scovers of The Draize Train and Oscillate Wildly.

When Morrissey sings a Smiths song, do we refer to it as a "cover"? On his recent interview with Maconie; Morrissey said something like "I don't see any difference between Smiths songs and Morrissey songs... they are all my songs... they blur...I've only had one life..." Or something like that.

Maybe Johnny is the same - they are all his songs.

Dave

This is true, we would not have these songs if not for Johnny, in fact we may argue that we may not even have had The Smiths if not for Marr. When we look at the record we see Morrissey/ Marr. Johnny is not 'covering' these songs, he is merely playing his material.

Love PTxx.

to be fair i started this thread because i am pissed off when people say "morrissey covers the smiths" so to be equally as ridiculous i said marr covers the smiths..

without marr there still very well could have been the smiths.. they would have just sounded like the dolls but still with morrissey's vocals, vocal melodies, and lyrics.. and face it.. it is the words that make the smiths the smiths...

and face it.. it is the words that make the smiths the smiths...

Nah. It's Marr that makes the Smiths the Smiths, quite obviously, since he's the critical component present in the Smiths and not Moz's solo work. :rolleyes:

Nah. It's Marr that makes the Smiths the Smiths, quite obviously, since he's the critical component present in the Smiths and not Moz's solo work. :rolleyes:

right that is why we flock to Boomslang.. LOL and why everyone's fav smiths song is draize train... hahhaaha and that explains why your signature quote is from the healers... lol

i almost thought you were serious at first and thought you were either a troll or a retard..

nice one.. :D

ps
i'll see you in chicgao but you should go to the milwaukee show too!!

Last edited:
Johnny Marr makes The Smiths just as much as Moz. We are not debating solo careers, but the band. Without Johnny it seems Moz would have been some quiet boy still shut away in a bedroom somewhere in Manchester.

And why are Marr's versions of The Smiths songs bad?

Love PTxx.

Back
Top Bottom