"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" is the best song Morrissey has done since VAI

chrisarclark

Boycott Moz
"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" is the best song Morrissey has done since Vauxhall And I. hard to say what held that distinction prior to now ("Southpaw"?), but id say it's pretty clear now.

thoughts...?

Well I wouldn't dare to call it the best song since Vauxhal-era, but it truly is a great song. "the making love on on the floor"-part in the middle of the song is very catchy and takes the whole thing in to new refreshing directions.

well, somehow this thread got fuct- there was supposed to be an accompanying poll, but it's somehow been attached to an older thread.

eh, I dunno about that one. I think everyone wants to think its as good as V & I, but I just don't see it.
However, it is a great track in its own way, and it fits very well on YOR.

eh, I dunno about that one. I think everyone wants to think its as good as V & I, but I just don't see it.
However, it is a great track in its own way, and it fits very well on YOR.

im not necessarily saying it is as good as the best of VAI (NMHIF, WDYFOFY, "Speedway", etc.), but ithink it is the best thing he's done since by a clear margin.

I have nearly worn out my download of YOR and yet when I hear 'It's Not Your Birthday....' it still sends shivers up my neck. I absoloutely love it:):)

It's very, very good, although I wouldn't say it's as good as "Maladjusted", "Trouble Loves Me" and "Life is a Pigsty". In fact I probably prefer "Carol" on this album now - it's really grown on me.

Still a great song, though.

more like one of his worst songs...ever. jesus the music is so cheesy and what a predictable formula for an "epic" song. sounds like it belongs on radio disney or a coldplay b-sides comp. very unmorrissey. one of my least favorite songs.

You know what? Honestly, I just don't like It's Not Your Birthday Anymore all that much. I get the impression that the people who go so crazy for it on these boards do so largely because they so badly wanted to see a masterpiece on YOR, and so everybody's kind of latching onto it. Not that the reviews necessarily mean much, but I haven't seen a single reviewer single it out as a highlight of YOR. Also, whenever I play it at work, sometimes my casual and non-Morrissey fan colleagues skip past it without asking me (as with You Were Good in Your Time. I love Morrissey's softer and more sentimental sounding songs, but Birthday just doesn't do anything for me.

more like one of his worst songs...ever. jesus the music is so cheesy and what a predictable formula for an "epic" song. sounds like it belongs on radio disney or a coldplay b-sides comp. very unmorrissey. one of my least favorite songs.

how any Morrissey fan could not lov this song is unthinkable- the vocal alone is reason enough.

I get the impression that the people who go so crazy for it on these boards do so largely because they so badly wanted to see a masterpiece on YOR, and so everybody's kind of latching onto it. Not that the reviews necessarily mean much, but I haven't seen a single reviewer single it out as a highlight of YOR.

hardly- iwas pretty much waiting to trash this album as id been quite disenchanted with Moz of late- my expectations were extremely low, not to mention the last "masterpiece", "Life Is A Pigsty" is one of the most overrated Moz songs ever.

and ihavnt read many reviews as yet, but the two reviews ican remember reading both cited INYBA as one of if not the highlight- one was the very first review that came out (ithink it was pretty much juste a fanboy review for some nothing publication) and the other was pitchfork.

Back
Top Bottom