Morrissey / Smiths cover versions

j funk

.co.uk
I'm hoping this doesn't get merged in to a useless thread. I've already had a good search and can only find the 'best of 2008' thread, homemade ones, and such.

Can someone direct me towards the notable ones? i.e. not some solo American in his bedroom, which is what YouTube seems to be saturated with.

Good ones I have found so far are by:

Supergrass
Radiohead
Suggs
Nouvelle Vague
Killers
Oasis
Pete Doherty

Bad ones I have found include Barenaked Ladies, but at least they're a band I've heard of.

Can I have more like those please, ones I can actually hear e.g. on YouTube.

Cheers.

I think I've got over 300 Smiths & Moz covers here and there. I did a compilation of what I thought was the best (or funniest) cover versions a while back. I can repost if you like.

Peter

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/covers.htm

bad ones in my opinion where a jack the ripper cover by some amercan band (forgot the name )
and even though i like placebo i wasnt too fond of their version of bigmouth to say the least
both on youtube

*edit*
Congratulations to the first thread of asking about cover versions in 2009. :p

All the cover versions are listed in http://passionsjustlikemine.com/covers.htm (ooops, sistashiela was faster than me).

Also you find download link of good selection of them by Peter in bootlegs / downloads site directory.

Last edited:
Passionsjustlikemine is comprehensive, but I'm not finding many from bands I've heard of.

Also there are things like ...

Bernard Manning
Bernard Manning sang (or rather spoofed) this song as well as "This Charming Man" and "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" on a late 1980s programme titled The Last Resort.

...in the Recorded section. Not that helpful as I'm looking to make a compilation for a friend.

One I will seek from there is Placebo' Bigmouth however.

I'm just uploading my pick of the cover versions compilation I did a while ago. Here's the text I posted at the time...

"Okey dokey - as promised, I've compiled my favourite cover versions of Smiths & Morrissey songs. Not everyone will agree, but what I've tried to do is include songs for their musical skill, comedy value, sheer chutzpah or just because I like them - I've also tried to include a few that most users will not have heard before. Some just missed the cut (Mikel Erentxun, Elefant, Charlus, Bis, The Frank & Walters) - but I believe I've reduced the musical stock to an acceptable and tasty sauce. I scoured through over 300 cover versions, and narrowed them down to this list - 22 songs, 82 minutes (so just too much for a CD) - some are live, and they vary in recording quality. By the way, The Karelia is Alex Kapranos' former band. Enjoy.

Peter

Uncleskinny's Best Cover Versions Compilation

1 - Colin Meloy - Jack The Ripper
2 - The Divine Comedy - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
3 - Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over
4 - Bow Wow Wow - I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
5 - Billy Bragg - Back To The Old House
6 - Gene Loves Jezebel - Ask
7 - Alan Mesia - Pretty Girls Make Graves
8 - Anthrax - London
9 - David Ford - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
10 - Eddi Reader - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
11 - Everything But The Girl - Back To The Old House
12 - Hootie & The Blowfish - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
13 - James - We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
14 - The Karelia - Please, Please, Please Let me Get What I Want
15 - Mojo Nixon - Girlfriend In A Coma
16 - The Nolan Sisters - Panic
17 - Sandie Shaw - Jeane
18 - Sinead O'Connor - The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
19 - Supergrass - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
20 - The String Quartet Tribute To The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
21 - Tiger Army - The Loop
22 - Vision - Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before"

The RAR file will be available for download in about 30 minutes.

Cheers,

Peter

P.S For what it's worth, I think Tiger Army's version of The Loop is one of the very best cover versions.

Celia Black's version of "Work is a four letter word" is really sweet. :rolleyes:

Oh - there's also King Leer and Uncleskinny's version of Used To Be A Sweet Boy, which is pretty bloody good, if I do say so myself.:D

Peter

Peter, that's super.

Most I listed I did get off YouTube, but the quality is pretty good even on the live ones. Glad Noel doing There Is A Light in Germany wasn't ruined by screaming fans like in the other concerts I found.

Others like Doherty and Radio were recorded live in the studio, although the latter I found on YouTube too. God knows if it was released anywhere.

I can convert to MP3 and upload when I've collected enough.

Peter, that's super.

Most I listed I did get off YouTube, but the quality is pretty good even on the live ones. Glad Noel doing There Is A Light in Germany wasn't ruined by screaming fans like in the other concerts I found.

Others like Doherty and Radio were recorded live in the studio, although the latter I found on YouTube too. God knows if it was released anywhere.

I can convert to MP3 and upload when I've collected enough.

Here's the songs listed a few posts above. If anyone screams loud enough, I'll upload that cover of Used To Be A Sweet Boy:)

Peter

I'm just uploading my pick of the cover versions compilation I did a while ago. Here's the text I posted at the time...

12 - Hootie & The Blowfish - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Ew..:sick:

Little known fact: 'How Soon is Now?' was actually the Smiths covering T.A.t.U. :eek:

Ew..:sick:

Little known fact: 'How Soon is Now?' was actually the Smiths covering T.A.t.U. :eek:

I remember reading some articles either in British newspaper or magazine that Morrissey and Johnny earned more than £250,000 from T.A.t.U. cover version.

Last edited:
Mojo Nixon-Girlfriend is pretty great
I liked the Cursive-Frankly Mr Shankly

The vast majority of all the covers out there are just...boring (ie 10,000 Maniacs)

The Trashcan Sinatras version of I Know Its Over gets overlooked too often. Check it out.

Back
Top Bottom