Yellowstone Warning

mozzette

Worrying stuff :(

Evacuation Warning - Yellowstone National Park Area

"I am advising all State officials around Yellowstone National Park for a potential State of Emergency. In the last week over 300 earthquakes have been observed by the USGS. We have a 3D view on the movement of magma rising underground. We have all of the pre warning signs of a major eruption from a super volcano. - I want everyone to leave Yellowstone National Park and for 200 miles around the volcano caldera."

This is Non Official but the Geologist has a point

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second...ultiple-tiny-earthquakes-rattle-ye-2008-12-30

Dec 30, 2008

Multiple tiny earthquakes rattle Yellowstone. Could the big one be far behind?

David Biello

Any disaster fiend will tell you that Yellowstone National Park is long overdue for a monster eruption that could leave as much as half the U.S. under a blanket of ash. And there are rumblings the big one could be imminent in the wake of a series of 30-plus mini-earthquakes in the park over the past few days—too weak to be felt by humans for the most part but picked up by the seismometers at the University of Utah.

After all, the geologic record shows that the giant caldera we affectionately call Yellowstone has blown every 600,000 years or so over the past 2 million years. The last big eruption? About 640,000 years ago when the park spit out about 240 cubic miles worth of rock, dirt, magma and other stuff.

But don't panic yet. Although the earthquake swarm continues, according to the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, the volcano alert level remains normal. And a slew of larger earthquakes have occurred throughout the western U.S., Alaska, Puerto Rico and even Pennsylvania in the past week without incident, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

In recent years, Yellowstone's caldera has been rising thanks to uplifting magma beneath it—leading to more cracks, hot springs and even more frequent eruptions of Steamboat Geysers. Paired with the earthquakes, such magma movement might presage an eruption—either big or small. Unfortunately, scientists can't really predict when the next such eruption will happen, and the range of possibilities is large: from later today to a million years from now.

How will we know if we should start worrying? The real warning signs will be rapid changes in the shape of the ground as well as volcanic gases leaking from the ground, neither of which have been sighted—yet.

"Eruptions are far enough apart that there is a very low probability of the next eruption happening in our lifetimes or anytime soon," Daniel Dzurisin of the USGS told me in 2006. "The flipside is: [Yellowstone] has been active for millions of years and it's going to erupt again sometime."

If that caldera blows we can all kiss goodbye to everything we know and love, and welcome another ice age. And that's global.

Peter

If that caldera blows we can all kiss goodbye to everything we know and love, and welcome another ice age. And that's global.

Peter

Why do you say that?

Oh God please don't blow before the 31st of March;)

On a serious note, that is freaking me out..scary stuff.

Apparently it blows every 600,000 years. The last time was around 630,000 years ago. If it goes, most of us will be toast! :p

Yellowstone is a super volcano.

Well that certainly is frightening. For comic relief here's something similar.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJOwQJsFi9I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJOwQJsFi9I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I don't believe it. Nostradamus said the world would end in 2012. Of course, it's entirely plausible that it would take three years to finish us all off. Shall we get the Mythbusters on the case to explore the possibilities?

Only Wall-e can save us now when that volcano blows. Or sucks as the case might be. :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrMBHK3-FPs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JrMBHK3-FPs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

My dad is kind of crazy but has done lots of research on Yellowstone and how once it blows we are all screwed. Even though we live on the east coast we are still screwed and eventually the rest of the world is too. I always scoff at his crazy theories but he is convinced that is how its all going to end for this civilization. I hope to God he's wrong about this too.

Tags
carl finally found a way to get that gopher
Back
Top Bottom