I've Just Come Home From Midnight Mass

Here's an old pic Nugz gave me, I hope she doesn't get mad at me for posting it.

amish%20girl-thumb.jpg

hahahhaa, oh noes, you are bannd nao!!!! :p

your sig cracks me up btw.

I've always wanted to be Amish. Doesn't that dress look so comfortable?

That is it, plain and simple.
All the other things added on: confessing to a priest, observing specific days as "holy", praying to Mary and "saints", purgatory, etc etc etc are what make Catholicism a religion and not Christianity.

This wasn't just made up. It's all in the bible. I'm tried of writing and saying this over and over. So, look it up yourselves. :):D:guitar:

This wasn't just made up. It's all in the bible. I'm tried of writing and saying this over and over. So, look it up yourselves. :):D:guitar:

the bible says to confess your sins to no one but Jesus. not a man, who is a priest. there's no purgatory in the Bible either. maybe it stems from some loose interpretation of a certain verse, but I think the bible is very clear when it says you either go to heaven or hell. it also says nothing about having to pray to Mary. again, you're only supposed to pray to God.

Re: talking to myself!

I've just read a little bit of Arsenal's arguments and I'm beginning to think of The Pigsty as Auschwits, like all the trolls were rounded up and sent there to be exterminated. I thought it was just a place where we could cuss.

Re: talking to myself!

I've just read a little bit of Arsenal's arguments and I'm beginning to think of The Pigsty as Auschwits, like all the trolls were rounded up and sent there to be exterminated. I thought it was just a place where we could cuss.
well, even in the camps they had these guards that were inmates :eek:
who would that be in 'the sty' :rolleyes:

the bible says to confess your sins to no one but Jesus. not a man, who is a priest.

John 20: 22-23 : 'And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."'

James 5:16
'Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.'

there's no purgatory in the Bible either. maybe it stems from some loose interpretation of a certain verse, but I think the bible is very clear when it says you either go to heaven or hell.

Well, it's not in YOUR bible.

2 Maccabees 12:40-45 But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain. They all therefore praised the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings to light the things that are hidden. Turning to supplication, they prayed that the sinful deed might be fully blotted out. The noble Judas warned the soldiers to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought.'

it also says nothing about having to pray to Mary. again, you're only supposed to pray to God.

We do only pray to God. He is the only one that can do anything. We're aware of the 1st commandment. Hahaha. :) But we're in what's called the Communion of Saints where everyone in Heaven, purgatory and Earth are united in prayer. We pray not TO one another, but FOR one another; Including Mary, who was highly exulted by God (Luke 1:28). She prayer for us to God. She alone can do nothing without God. :guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ready With Ready-Wit is starting to remind me of a poster i use to fight with when i was a bad man on here
so i think i'll stop reading this thread maybe
but dude, quoting scripture a lot(unless you are real good friend of mine) is always a buzz kill, always has been
always will :o

Ready With Ready-Wit is starting to remind me of a poster i use to fight with when i was a bad man on here
so i think i'll stop reading this thread maybe
but dude, quoting scripture a lot(unless you are real good friend of mine) is always a buzz kill, always has been
always will :o

Yeah same here. I'm done. :o

John 20 22:23 : 'And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."'

'Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.'

Well, it's not in YOUR bible.

2 Maccabees 12:40-45 But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain. They all therefore praised the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings to light the things that are hidden. Turning to supplication, they prayed that the sinful deed might be fully blotted out. The noble Judas warned the soldiers to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought.'

We do only pray to God. He is the only one that can do anything. We're aware of the 1st commandment. Hahaha. :) But we're in what's called the Communion of Saints where everyone in Heaven, purgatory and Earth are united in prayer. We pray not TO one another, but FOR one another; Including Mary, who was highly exulted by God (Luke 1:28). She prayer for us to God. She alone can do nothing without God. :guitar:

what about that verse that says "no one comes to the father but by me" -Jesus.

im not looking it up, but thats from my head. i think that kinda says it all right there. where does it say Mary has to pray for us or whatever. why do we have to pray FOR her? isnt she in heaven? that doesnt make any sense.

John 20: 22-23 : 'And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."'

:guitar:

Todays "Solo" Bible lesson (and probable thread ender) part 1

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]"There are three closely related statements by Christ to His disciples which have created much controversy over their interpretation: 1) "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven" (Mt 16:19, 18:18); 2) "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching [concerning] any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven" (Mt 18:19); and 3) "Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained" (Jn 20:23).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In seeking to understand any passage in Scripture, one rule must govern: whatever the Bible declares, the Bible itself (not some outside authority) must interpret. It is from the Bible that we learn the gospel, about the church Christ established, about discipleship and the responsibilities, authority and power He has given to His own. Therefore, it is to the Bible that we must look to understand these things—and the Bible is understandable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]God's word is presented to all mankind. Never does the Bible suggest that a special rank of spiritual leaders must explain it to the rest of mankind; and that without such help ordinary people could not understand it. In fact, the opposite is taught in Scripture. Consider a few examples: "Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Dt 8:3, quoted by Jesus at Mt 4:4, Lk 4:4); "Blessed is the man...[whose] delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law doth he meditate day and night" (Ps 1:1-2); "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word...(Ps 119:9).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Notice that in each case an ordinary man (or woman), and even a young man/woman, meditates upon and obeys God's word. There is no hint that the persons mentioned needed to consult any special teacher concerning the scriptures. Therefore, we must conclude that to be the case for everyone.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The New Testament also supports this conclusion. Consider Christ's rebuke of the two on the road to Emmaus for not knowing and understanding the scriptures. That neither of them was part of the inner circle of disciples is clear, because they hurried back to Jerusalem to tell the eleven (Judas was dead) of Christ's appearance (Lk 24:33-34). Yet Jesus rebuked these ordinary people: "O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken" (Lk 24:25). He would not have used such harsh language, holding them personally accountable to know all that the prophets had said, unless the scriptures were understandable to ordinary people.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Those in the city of Berea (both Jews and gentiles) "searched the scriptures daily, [to see] whether those things [which Paul preached] were so" (Acts 17:11]). These ordinary people were praised for not automatically accepting the great Apostle Paul's biblical interpretation, but for checking it out for themselves from the scriptures. From these and many other examples that could be given, we can only conclude that it is the responsibility of each individual to know and understand God's Word based upon what it says, not upon what some religious authority claims it means.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This fact exposes as totally spurious the claim by the Roman Catholic Church that its magisterium (the hierarchy of bishops, in concert with its pope) alone can interpret the Bible. That Church did not even exist for the Bereans to consult, much less for the two on the road to Emmaus or for anyone in Old Testament times. Likewise, the claims of any other church or cult that its leaders alone can interpret the Bible are also exposed as contradictory to Scripture.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Three things are abundantly clear: 1) the Bible has been given by God as His Word to all who will receive it; 2) it is intended to be understood by ordinary people, even by youths, without special training or looking to religious leaders for interpretation; 3) everyone is accountable to know God's Word personally, and that responsibility cannot be passed off to pastor, priest, pope or anyone else.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]With this understanding, we may now consider the controversial passages mentioned above. To support the Catholic concept of a pope as Peter's successor, it is claimed that the promise in Matthew 16 of the keys of heaven and binding and loosing was addressed to Peter alone. Even if that were true, the promise of the keys is linked with the promise of binding and loosing, and in Matthew 18:18 and John 20:23 Christ gives the power of binding and loosing, and remitting and retaining sins to all of His inner circle of disciples. That fact eliminates any special priority or authority to Peter and is of vital importance to our understanding of these scriptures. Why? Because whatever responsibility and authority Christ bestowed upon His original twelve was passed on to every true Christian.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That conclusion follows directly from Christ's command to His disciples to "go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature (Mk 16:15)...teaching them [who believe the gospel] to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..." (Mt 28:20). Thus all of the promises Christ made and all that He taught His original disciples and commanded them to do was to be passed on to every Christian throughout history, including to us today. Obviously, the "all things whatsoever I have commanded you," which every new disciple would be taught to observe, included the promises concerning the keys of heaven, binding and loosing, and remitting and retaining of sins—and the authority and power to do so.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]New disciples were to make more disciples and to teach them also to observe all things Christ had commanded the original twelve—which included making more disciples. As a result, an unbroken chain of discipleship has come down through the centuries. Every Christian, being a disciple of a disciple of a disciple (all the way back to the first disciples), is a successor of the Apostles and is indwelt and empowered by the Holy Spirit to act accordingly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thus, the authority and power which Christ gave to the original disciples of using the keys in binding and loosing, and remitting and retaining of sins, does not belong to an elite class of leaders, but to each one who is born again of the Holy Spirit through faith in Christ. But "binding and loosing" what? Christ said, "whatsoever." That's broad indeed. Was he, at least in part, referring to demons? Surely one would not turn demons loose! Nor is there even one example in the Bible prior to the Millennium of demons (or "territorial spirits") being "bound." Even Christ allowed those He cast out of a man to go into a herd of swine (Mk 5:1-13). Then what is meant?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Christ gave all of the twelve the promise of binding and loosing (Mt 18:18) and then He repeated the promise in different words in verse 19: "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching [concerning] any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven." Verse 20 follows: "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Here, at least, we understand that the binding or loosing of "whatsoever" is to be effected by asking the heavenly Father to bring to pass that which two or more Christians have agreed upon on earth, meeting in Christ's name with Him in their midst..."[/FONT]

Tags
church is for schmucks why go in the first place
Back
Top Bottom