New to Morrissey/The Smiths

zepfan1

Good evening -

I have just "discovered" Morrissey after reading reviews of his new cd. I am extremely impressed at his body of work, ideals etc...

Would you be able to recommend what I should listen to first as a formal introduction into the Smiths/Morrissey ?

I am excited to learn about his music and any suggestions would be appreciated! I am so glad that I found this website !!

Thanks folks !!

Laura :)

i would suggest listening to everything in chronological order so you can get a good sense of his evolution throughout the years. I started listening to the Smiths first, and discovered Morrissey's solo stuff a couple years later. so if you really want to listen to everything, start from the first Smiths album to the latest Moz album. if you just want to get a good idea of the stuff first, I'd pick up the latest Smiths compilation (Sound of the Smiths) or maybe the Smiths singles collection. and to get a good idea of Moz as a whole, pick up Bona Drag and that Greatest Hits that came out a few years ago, NOT the one that came out this year.

hope that helps.

Get The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come by The Smiths and You Are The Quarry and Vauxhall And I by Morrissey.

Or preferably do what Nugz suggested.

Except don't listen to Led Zep...:p

And welcome...:)

Get The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come by The Smiths and You Are The Quarry and Vauxhall And I by Morrissey.

Or preferably do what Nugz suggested.

Except don't listen to Led Zep...:p

And welcome...:)

see, "zepfan", i told you!!! we are not welcome here! :D

I would recomend cronological listening of Moz's albums starting with The Smiths..

and also, highly recomend that you stay away from the Moz Frink thead here at the site.... we've lost many posters who've lost themselves in there for years and have never been seen again elsewhere.... :tears:

see, "zepfan", i told you!!! we are not welcome here! :D

You kept that little detail quite during the Election...:p

I would recomend cronological listening of Moz's albums starting with The Smiths..

and also, highly recomend that you stay away from the Moz Frink thead here at the site.... we've lost many posters who've lost themselves in there for years and have never been seen again elsewhere.... :tears:

this is true

You kept that little detail quite during the Election...:p

haha, i have never made my love for Zeppelin a secret. :p

haha, i have never made my love for Zeppelin a secret. :p[/QUOTE]

Well that's a policy that needs, frankly reviewing..:)

Zeppelin rules!!!

Rule 1. Don't listen...:)

No, each Morrissey and Smiths album is very different in my eyes. I think chronologically is the best way but do not just pick out albums such as Vauxhall. I started with Viva Hate bonus tracks and got totally confused as to where and when I was with the music. I happen to think that Your Arsenal is Morrissey's most upbeat album for some strange reason but e v e r y album has a different feel to it. To think that Kill Uncle was just a year before Your Arsenal is very confusing.

It shows how much he changes his music for each album.

And of course his work with being Mr Smiths is in a different league all together.

If you like rockabilly, go for Your Arsenal and some of Kill Uncle.

Sorry I can't stop talking about Kill Uncle, bloody adore it.

Sorry I can't stop talking about Kill Uncle, bloody adore it.

I completely agree.

I think the first songs I heard were (besides the 'Kilborn Sessions') He Knows I'd Love To See Him and Ouija Board. I had no idea what album they were on once I started listening more.

I would say look for the b-sides as well. Some of them are far better than the album tracks. Not to say that the album tracks would ever be bad.

I completely agree.

I think the first songs I heard were (besides the 'Kilborn Sessions') He Knows I'd Love To See Him and Ouija Board. I had no idea what album they were on once I started listening more.

I would say look for the b-sides as well. Some of them are far better than the album tracks. Not to say that the album tracks would ever be bad.

WOO another Kill Uncle fan!

Oh yes well said, the b-sides are just as good.

I would recommend downloading ''Hang Around to be enticed'' on Torrent. I know it's naughty to talk about torrent but how else does one get a copy of all those b-sides?

Back
Top Bottom