johnny marr is interviewed in this documentary:

ScottWalker.jpg

Begin forwarded message:
From: The Scott Walker Film Newsletter <[email protected]>
Date: 20 November 2008 03:38:19 GMT
Subject: SW30 needs YOU. USA Release
Reply-To: [email protected]
Hello America.
With the winds of Change blowing through the country, we finally have the wind at our backs and, at long long last, will be bringing you the US release of "Scott Walker - 30 Century Man."
Plexifilm will be releasing the film starting on Wednesday December 17th at the IFC Center in NYC. Plans are still in the works for an official opening party – might happen on the weekend with me bringing The Scott Walker Lounge DJ set to a bar near you…watch this space for more info.
Additionally, we have just booked the Landmark Cinemas in San Francisco and Berkeley, CA starting January 23rd, 2009.
Other cities are being considered, but to make it work, we need your help. Below is a list of cinemas/cities we may attempt to book.
If you live in any of these places (including the above mentioned NYC and SF) and want to be involved on a local level to help get the word out, send us an email.
Additionally, if you or someone you know is connected to a local radio station, newspaper, magazine, blog, record store, cinema club/group/society, film festival, or anything that would facilitate communication about the Great Scott to as many people as possible, be in touch:
[email protected].
If you manage a club/bar that would host a Scott Walker Lounge (DJ’d by me or a local Scott nut), be in touch. Maybe your band has a set of Scott covers up its sleeve…whatever. We’re looking for as many unique ways to promote this film around the country as possible.
Even if you would simply show up – send an email (and tell us how many friends you would bring with you.) Any sense of a growing audience helps a cinema feel more confident about booking a small film about a mysterious cult artist!
If you don’t see your city or town on this list and feel like a local art house, museum, school, etc. would be into screening the film, if you live among a hidden Cult of Walker, be in touch.
The DVD will probably drop around Spring 09, but we want the film to reach as many of the faithful as possible on a great big screen.
So – here’s the list of possible cities – thanks in advance for your support! SK.
Los Angeles, Nuart
Seattle, Varsity
Portland, Cinema 21
Chicago, Music Box
Austin, Alamo
Boston, Kendall or Coolidge
Philadelphia, Ritz
Washington DC, E Street or AFI
San Diego, Ken
Atlanta, Midtown
St. Louis, Tivoli
Detroit, DIA or Maple
Denver, Starz
Tucson, Loft
Santa Fe, The Screen
Taos, Cinematheque
Cleveland, Cinematheque
Hartford, Real Art Ways
Wilmington, Theatre N at Nemours
Lake Worth, FL, Playhouse
Coral Gables, Bill Cosford
Miami, Cinematheque

Again – that email address: [email protected]

to unsubscribe from this newsletter, visit http://www.scottwalkerfilm.com/blog/?page_id=88

NETFLIX: For all US fans. PLEASE do us a huge favor. If you are Netflix users, add "Scott Walker - 30 Century Man" to your queue. Even though the DVD release date is unknown, the film is in the system. The greater the pre-rental demand is, the more units the buy! Thanks.
It's been in my queue for over a year now. Thanks for the info. Look forward to seeing it in January.

Thanks for the invite. :)

your in!

More Info:

"Hello Drifters... It's that time again - posters & postcards are ready to be distributed around the city and the more hands on this the better. We're racing against the clock here people - we have ONE WEEK to the US Theatrical debut in NYC at IFC Center on Wed 17 Dec. Whatever you can pledge to do would be great. We have Williamsburg covered, need to cover downtown, etc. Record stores, cafes, shops and bars...you know the drill. Scott Walker needs YOU. be in touch. thanks."

OTHER MUSIC
PRESENTS
SCOTT WALKER: 30 CENTURY MAN
PREMIERE PARTY

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 17
K&M BAR, WILLIAMSBURG
North 8th Street (at Roebling)
9PM to 1AM
No Cover / 21+ with ID

To celebrate the NY release by Plexifilm of SCOTT WALKER - 30 CENTURY MAN, Other Music is throwing a premiere party that Wednesday night at Williamsburg's K&M Bar, with OM DJs playing Scott Walker tunes and songs by the countless musicians that he's influenced. Stephen Kijak will do a guest-DJ set premiering some songs from the soon-to-be-released Scott Walker covers album. There will be movie poster and movie pass giveaways (good for any night of the film's showing at the IFC Center).

No RSVP needed - come one come all...

cash bar. cheap drinks. good tunes.

www.othermusic.com

www.plexifilm.com

www.ifccenter.com

SWpostcardback.jpg

Just got this. Saw the film for the first time in NYC -it blew me away.

Are we allowed to post interviews with Stephen here ?

"Do I hear 2009...2009...2009...?
Happy New Year to all. Hope you all have been enjoying the holidays. Thanks again to everyone in NY who braved the elements and turned out for our US theatrical debut.
We're off to (yet another) good start...

Next up: San Francisco/Berkeley runs begin on Friday January 23 at the Landmark Lumiere and Shattuck cinemas.

Premiere party plans are just now taking shape and as always, if anyone wants to pitch in to help us promote the Bay Area, please be in touch. (Still trying to lock down the best venue for our opening night party so if anyone has an in at a Scott-friendly bar, etc - let me know.) It would help us out even if you just forward this info on to a friend or two in the Bay Area.

Scott will be there in person over the opening weekend to do Q&A's.

Opening night party to be announced soon.

LA also taking shape - NuArt engagement begins Feb 27. Other US cities will be booked shortly...stand by.
Thanks - SK.

Just got this. Saw the film for the first time in NYC -it blew me away.

Are we allowed to post interviews with Stephen here ?

"Do I hear 2009...2009...2009...?
Happy New Year to all. Hope you all have been enjoying the holidays. Thanks again to everyone in NY who braved the elements and turned out for our US theatrical debut.
We're off to (yet another) good start...

Next up: San Francisco/Berkeley runs begin on Friday January 23 at the Landmark Lumiere and Shattuck cinemas.

Premiere party plans are just now taking shape and as always, if anyone wants to pitch in to help us promote the Bay Area, please be in touch. (Still trying to lock down the best venue for our opening night party so if anyone has an in at a Scott-friendly bar, etc - let me know.) It would help us out even if you just forward this info on to a friend or two in the Bay Area.

Scott will be there in person over the opening weekend to do Q&A's.

Opening night party to be announced soon.

LA also taking shape - NuArt engagement begins Feb 27. Other US cities will be booked shortly...stand by.
Thanks - SK.

:eek: I wish i could go!

Just a reminder, the film is premiering next week in the SF Bay Area. From Landmarktheatres.com:

This first-ever documentary film about Scott Walker's career and music traces his evolution from jobbing bass player on L.A.'s Sunset Strip to his meteoric rise to fame during London's Swinging '60s as lead singer of The Walker Brothers and as a brooding, crooning solo artist, through to his current status as one of the most astonishing and important sound-makers of the last 30 years. Colleagues and collaborators from the '60s to the present weigh in on the evolution of Scott's song writing and often unorthodox working methods and an impressive roster of fans (including David Bowie, Sting, Brian Eno, Radiohead, Jarvis Cocker) line up to speak about the enormous impact he has had on their lives and music. Four years in the making, director Stephen Kijak's film is a visually stunning and in-depth look at a man who turned his back on fame to follow a very singular and uncompromising artistic path. :cool:

Last edited:
Just a reminder, the film is premiering next week in the SF Bay Area. From Landmarktheatres.com:

This first-ever documentary film about Scott Walker's career and music traces his evolution from jobbing bass player on L.A.'s Sunset Strip to his meteoric rise to fame during London's Swinging '60s as lead singer of The Walker Brothers and as a brooding, crooning solo artist, through to his current status as one of the most astonishing and important sound-makers of the last 30 years. Colleagues and collaborators from the '60s to the present weigh in on the evolution of Scott's song writing and often unorthodox working methods and an impressive roster of fans (including David Bowie, Sting, Brian Eno, Radiohead, Jarvis Cocker) line up to speak about the enormous impact he has had on their lives and music. Four years in the making, director Stephen Kijak's film is a visually stunning and in-depth look at a man who turned his back on fame to follow a very singular and uncompromising artistic path. :cool:

also.....
Just a few announcements about the Bay Area run of "Bride Wars", er, um, sorry, "Scott Walker - 30 Century Man"...

Venue Change: SF run will now take place at Landmark's Opera Plaza on Van Ness @ McAllister. We're still at the Shattuck in Berkeley. Showtimes w/ SK appearances as follows:

Opera Plaza-SF: Fri-Thu at 2:10, 4:45, 7:10, 9:45
(Stephen Kijak in person Fri 1/23 at 7:10 & 9:45)

Shattuck-Berk: Fri-Thu at 2:30 5:15 7:30 9:50
(Stephen Kijak in person Sat 1/24 at 5:15 & 7:30)

Premiere Party:

NoisePop & Aquarius Records present "The Scott Walker Lounge" 9:30pm on Friday Jan 23 at Casanova, 527 Valencia in the Mission. SK Dj set + giveaways: LPs/CDs, posters and movie passes. All Scott All Night! Free.

"****Walker Week in Los Angeles****

To gear up for the Los Angeles premiere of the film, I've teamed up with some friends to produce a great live event celebrating the songs of SW:

Don't Knock The Rock & The Fold
present

"Scott Walker - 30 Century Man"
pre-release party

A Tribute to Scott Walker
live at Bordello
Wednesday, February 25
Bordello
901 E. 1st Street
Downtown Los Angeles, 90012
door: 7:30 pm
$12
21+
www.foldsilverlake.com for tickets
(ticketing should be up soon - tix will also be available at the door)

featuring:
John Doe ("X")
David J (Bauhaus/Love & Rockets) & Michael Berg
Ann Magnuson & Kristian Hoffman (The Mumps)
Evie Sands
Rob Dickinson (Catherine Wheel)
Levinhurst (Cindy & Lol "The Cure" Tolhurst)
Jason Falkner
Jenny O.
Julianna Raye
Fitz & The Tantrums
Weave!
Dan Crane (aka Bjorn Turoque)

And if you survive that and make it to the film on Friday, Feb 27th at the NuArt, we are continuing to bring you The Scott Walker Lounge as an official opening night after-party.
This time, featuring DJ's Cyrano & Señor Amor (from KXLU's Molotov Cocktail Hour) spinning vinyl Scott at:

LIQUID KITTY
11780 Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles 90064
9:30 pm
5 mins from NuArt. No Cover - Free!
giveaways: CDs/Posters/Movie Passes
$2 off drink specials w/ ticket stub!

As for the run at the NuArt, I'll be on hand to do Q&A's following the 7:30 shows both Fri 27 and Sat 28 and I will be joined on both nights by a very special guest, Mr. Chris Walter - renowned rock photographer responsible for the lion's share of the great 60's stills in the film. He was there when the WB's arrived in the UK and captured it all, creating some of the most iconic images of SW and the Bros.

Tickets should be available for pre-order soon at www.landmarktheatres.com

SK
"

hello friends -

just a quick alert about a few more theatrical dates...more to come so do stand by.

20-Mar Grand Rapids, MI Urban Institute of Contemporary Art
25-Mar Huntington, NY Cinema Arts Centre
4/2 and 4/3 Cleveland Cleveland Cinematheque

And if there's anyone in LA who feels like joining the SW30 postcard distribution intitiative...be in touch asap!
(there's a free movie ticket & poster in it for you...)

sk

"Hello Walkerphiles,

A big thanks to all the LA fans who came out to support the film this weekend at the NuArt - we had our biggest opening numbers yet - quite amazing. More US dates should follow...we'll be sure to keep you updated.

And when I jumped in my car on Saturday morning I tuned into KCRW and heard the DJ give "Montague Terrace" a spin. Before Indie 103.1 went off the air, you could occasionally hear Steve Jones play "The Sun Aint Gonna Shine Anymore" but now our on-air allies have seriously diminished.

IF you can be bothered, do us a favor and either call or email a request to hear some more Scott to the good people of KCRW. You can tell 'em you saw the film and can't get enough Scott and absolutely must hear it again on the radio...NOW. The film plays for a mere four more days here in LA...trying to keep the awareness up! Thanks.

http://www.kcrw.com/about/contact_main

KCRW main: 310-450-5183

(Reviews and Articles/Interviews pages updated on the website - lots more good ink from LA.) "

"Hello Tilters, Drifters...

Just a reminder to fans in Denver that SW30 starts a week long engagement at the most excellent Starz Filmcenter tomorrow, Friday March 6th. Click HERE for more info and tickets.

And it appears that the film is screening at a MusicDoc Festival in Moscow along side some of the best rock docs of the last few years - read all about it in the Moscow News (in English).

Press archive recently updated with all the reviews/blogs/interviews from the LA release and yes, posters still available to purchase. (Request a signed poster and I'll autograph it for you - that should jack up its ebay value by a few bucks, eh?)

(And for any Angelino who may have missed it (today is your last chance to see it at the NuArt) a one-off screening somewhere on the east side is in the works...stand by...)

thanks,

SK"

"Hey y'all. Just wanted to let our friends in Nashville know that we have just booked a limited run at the wonderful Belcourt Theatre. "Scott Walker - 30 Century Man" will play for three nights, April 3-5 (longer if there's a good turnout.)

Any ideas/tips/offers to help on getting the word out in the great city of Nashville, please pass 'em on. Not sure if I'll be able to make it there for q&a's, but I'm sure thrilled to be brining the film to the Music City...

SK

and as a reminder...dates coming up in the following cities:

20-Mar (one week) Grand Rapids, MI Urban Institute of Contemporary Art
25-Mar (one night only) Huntington, NY Cinema Arts Centre
4/2 and 4/4 Cleveland Cleveland Cinematheque"

"One night only...

"Scott Walker - 30 Century Man" returns to the scene of its US Premiere (at the SXSW Film Fest in 2007) for a screening at the Alamo Downtown for a Music Monday screening on Monday, March 23rd at 10:15 pm.

(A week-run may follow there starting on the 27th...keeep an eye on hyour local listings.) "

"hello friends,

Wanted you all to be the first to get a look at the track listing for the soon-to-be-released album that I produced with my friends at Lakeshore Records.

Titled "Music Inspired by the Film Scott Walker - 30 Century Man", it's a collection of 12 covers of Scott Walker originals, done mostly by some brilliantly talented women, (with a few male voices thrown in as well.) The results are stunning.

We're just putting the final touches on it. We should have a release date in the next few weeks. In the meantime...here's what will be on it:

"Duchess" Peter Broderick
"Big Louise" Sally Norvell
"World's Strongest Man" Damon & Naomi
"Manhattan" Saint Etienne
"The Electrician" Laurie Anderson
"The Seventh Seal" Nicole Atkins
"Montague Terrace (in Blue)" Dot Allison
"The Bridge" Bee & Flower
"Rhymes of Goodbye" Stephanie Dosen
"It's Raining Today" Ulrich Schnauss
"A Lover Loves" Jarboe
"Such a Small Love" Little Annie