The Jesus and Mary Chain. Oh dear.

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I just saw an advert on telly (yes, telly), for a new Hugo Boss fragrance called "FEMME" (for, err, femme). The music was one of my favourite songs ever - Just Like Honey, by The Jesus and Mary Chain. I'm dismayed.

Peter

I just saw an advert on telly (yes, telly), for a new Hugo Boss fragrance called "FEMME" (for, err, femme). The music was one of my favourite songs ever - Just Like Honey, by The Jesus and Mary Chain. I'm dismayed.

Peter

We have to put the blame on Sofia Coppola who used the song in her Lost in Translation few years ago. :(

We have to put the blame on Sofia Coppola who used the song in her Lost in Translation few years ago. :(

Oh but that scene's so good!
Surely Jesus and Mary Chain had a choice whether it was used in the advert but yes it's sad because soon enough that's all it will be known for.

Oh but that scene's so good!
Surely Jesus and Mary Chain had a choice whether it was used in the advert but yes it's sad because soon enough that's all it will be known for.

Hmmm, I doubt Reid Brothers were consulted by thier record company.

Usually the actual band/artist aren't asked this kind of offer.
An ad agency asks the permission from the publishing or record company.

Must I? :o

It works really well I promise and I'd recommend seeing it, it's quite perfect.

It's not a matter of whether or not it works in the film it's the mere fact the song was used, thereby removing it from music geekdom and giving it to the world at large. I cringe at the thought of adding such a dear track to a mix cd and having someone say "Oh, I know this. Isn't it from..." I'd say I'm overreacting but I already noted I'm a pedantic little bitch and this is a Morrissey message board. :D

Why does it matter? It was a great song 20 years, has been for all those years and will remain for as long as people listen to popular music.

I don't understand why people get so precious about this sort of thing. Is it the song you like or the relative obscurity of it?

Why does it matter? It was a great song 20 years, has been for all those years and will remain for as long as people listen to popular music.

I don't understand why people get so precious about this sort of thing. Is it the song you like or the relative obscurity of it?

I agree with you. thats the most retarded thing ever. I got into MBV and the Jesus and Mary Chain BECAUSE of that movie. how awful, right? :rolleyes:

I watched Donnie Darko for the 75th time or so last weekend. I wonder how many people got into Echo and the Bunnymen b/c of that opening scene. how dare they! they arent "real" fans I bet, right?

Used to effect in a film no problem.
Used in an advert :sick:

Exactly.

In the film the song was used very effectively to enrich the scene and emotions of the characters.

Used in a perfume advert is rather shallow.

I saw this the other day, I was appalled! Also bad was the use of 'Jilted John' on a Dairylea advert...

But why is this so bad? If I saw the Smiths in a perfume ad I wouldn't mind at all.

Doesn't this just say that the ad-makers consider JMC chain to be classy music?

But why is this so bad? If I saw the Smiths in a perfume ad I wouldn't mind at all.

Doesn't this just say that the ad-makers consider JMC chain to be classy music?

You're a minority in here.

I'm glad I haven't spotted Smiths and Morrissey songs in an advert.

Normally people who work ad industry are considered as smug.

Another reason why it is good is because it tells us that the mainstream (ad-makers?) consider it good and "acceptable" music. You can argue that TJMC never wanted to be mainstream.

But isn't it the ultimate goal of any musician to become as popular as possible? By everyone, and not just the underground?

Back
Top Bottom