Artist Douglas Gordon donates an artwork depicting Morrissey to Maggie’s

moz'art girl

oh la la
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.2463979.0.Artist_Gordon_donates_work_to_Maggies.php

October 29 2008
The leading Scottish artist Douglas Gordon has donated an artwork worth at least £44,000 to cancer caring charity Maggie's.

"The Glasgow-born artist, the first Scot to win the Turner Prize, has donated a work depicting the singer Morrissey, entitled Self-Portrait of You + Me (Steven Morrissey), to the campaign.
It will be displayed tomorrow night as The Herald's Friends of Maggie's campaign hosts the Scottish charity gala screening of Quantum of Solace, the new James Bond film, at the Cineworld cinema in Renfield Street, Glasgow.

The Herald's Friends of Maggie's campaign was launched earlier this year to mark The Herald's 225th anniversary.
Gordon, the acclaimed contemporary artist who lives in Berlin and Glasgow, became interested in Maggie's Centres through a chance conversation at one of his favourite pubs, the Viceroy Bar on Glasgow's Paisley Road West.
One of the Maggie's Centre staff members, Kate Jervis, who sometimes works in the bar, met the artist there and told him about the work the centres do, and the fund-raising gala tomorrow night. After their conversation, the artist immediately offered to help.
"It all came about very casually," the artist said, "I had heard a bit about Maggie's Centres, especially because of the noted architect Frank Gehry's Maggie's in Dundee, and when I was a student at the Glasgow School of Art I was told all about the work of Charles Jencks, the architect and founder of the centres.
"But I have not been around in Scotland a lot in recent years, I was very busy and in New York. By chance I was in the Viceroy Bar, which I do like to go to, and Kate came up to me and said: Can I have a word?' "She told me all about what they were doing and I said I would be happy to help."
The artwork, which he made last year, depicts a distorted view of the former lead singer of The Smiths, and has a reserve price of $70,000 or £44,100.
It will be sold at auction at a later date to be announced.
Ms Jervis, a community fundraising assistant for Maggie's Centres, said: "This will raise a minimum of £45,000 for Maggie's, which is a massive sum of money and will greatly help towards the running costs of our centres, helping thousands of people to build a life beyond cancer.
"Douglas is a world recognised artist but he is so down to earth - he is a regular in the pub I help out in and after me telling him about Maggie's and our Bond event he straight away offered to donate a painting to help towards our cause.
"I'll look forward to seeing him the next time he visits the Viceroy Bar and I'm sure he can have a pint on the house."
Gordon, born in Glasgow in 1966 and raised in Maryhill, said: "I did do a series of portraits as myself as the Bond girls that would have been ideal for this auction. Unfortunately they have all sold out, but there was this Morrissey picture, and he is still an icon.
"I made it in New York at about this time last year, so I hope it gets a good price."
Gordon recently allowed his Glasgow home, 21 Woodlands Terrace, to open up to the public as a gallery and is spending more time in Scotland, including studying for a Masters in the Reformation, at St Andrews University.
Gordon has long been considered one of Scotland's leading contemporary artists - he is perhaps best known for his work with video and film, particularly Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait, the film he made about the French footballer with co-director Philippe Parreno.
He studied for his BA at Glasgow School of Art from 1984 to 1988, and went on to study further at the Slade School of Art until 1990. His first solo show was as early as 1986, and he exhibits extensively. He also famously filled one of the halls of the Tramway in Glasgow with 24 Hour Psycho, his slowed-down version of the Hitchcock masterpiece.
After his Turner Prize triumph in 1996, he was awarded the Premio 2000 at the Venice Biennale, and the Hugo Boss Prize at the Guggenheim in New York in 2000.
He is currently working on a number of projects in Europe and the US: he recently opened a new exhibition at the Guggenheim and was given the freedom of the city of Avignon, in France.
Gordon added: "I am really glad to be involved in this because it is incredible what Charles Jencks has done.
"I remember being a student at the Glasgow School of Art and studying in the environmental art department, and he has used part of that same philosophy, but his application of it into people's real lives has been amazing - there is real beauty in what he has done, it is incredible.
"I know that Bono and Damien Hirst have sold art for charity recently - so why can't I?"

# If you are interested in bidding for Self-Portrait of You + Me (Steven Morrissey), please contact Kate Jervis on 0141 341 5679."

Thanks for posting the story.

Pity there's no picture of the actual artwork. :(

It will be shown tomorrow, so we will maybe see this artwork soon...:cool:

scanned from the 'Glasgow Herald'...
not exactly 'Guernica' is it ?
£44K ? :confused:

The stuff posted on the morrissey art thread is a 100 times better than this :confused:

But at least the moneys going to a good cause :)

I saw a documentary on tv a while back about the Maggie's Centres and they are truly amazing places and the people that work in them are pretty much saints in a shitty world right now. One single bonus paid to one of these hedge fund bastard bankers could effectively open a thousand such centres :mad:

omg that pictures AWFUL, :sick:
maybe hes donating it because he knows it wont sell...
they'd have to PAY ME £44k to take it away, :D

I've just saved £44K.

I am a fan of Douglas Gordon's work and i liek the picture but no way is it worth that much! At least the money went to charity.

its doesnt matter the worth as long as someone is willing to pay for it .. in this case it goes to help people and in my eyes 44k is better helping than brning a hole in some rich bastards pocket

Back
Top Bottom