Were The Smiths the greatest live act ever?

Mudbug

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The Stones, U2, The Smiths, Springsteen, Queen, Floyd?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

I'm afraid another very uninspiring list of greatest live act poll.

I don't know Smiths is entitled to be called greatest live act, but at least they're very good in live.

They were certainly the best band I ever saw live...... my all time favourite gig (stop me if you think that I've said this one before:D) was Salford Uni, July 1986 (and Kewpie was there too:cool:)

Second all time best ever gig.... Stone Roses at Blackpool 1989.

Third.... Siouxsie & The Banshees at The Elephant Fare, St Austel, Cornawall 1982.

Jukebox Jury

My parents saw them twice, and as I was born the year they broke up and from what they have told me about the shows and from what I have seen without doubt no one on earth was ever more original, inspiring and so ahead of their time than The Smiths. So much emotion.

Last edited:
I'm afraid sistasheila, Mudbug is asking people to vote for a poll.

Your thread was good one, but this is different from yours.

I'm afraid sistasheila, Mudbug is asking people to vote for a poll.

Your thread was good one, but this is different from yours.
oh thanks..but nonetheless..I still would love to hear it..
would you tell a bit more from what you still remember of that(or these) concert(s)?

Einstürzende Neubauten.

here here >raises mug of mead<

joins in..but i still wonder..didnt you both guys did not have a chance to see them live already...in flesh-so good old youtube,eh?
this must be one of the very few reasons why Im glad to live in germany..at least they come here..
but the US tours arent manageable anymore cause the shipping of their (special) instruments are too expensive

Last edited:
the premise of this poll is rather silly b/c a person's answer is going to reflect the type of music/bands they like.

A huge Stones fan is going to obviously pick them.

A huge AC/DC fan is probably going to pick AC/DC

And so on and so forth... its all relative. I hear Bruce Springsteen puts on a great show but I'll never know first hand because I can't stand the man's music.

I myself vote for MOZ! :D

I would say yes. But I am biased. Aren't we all?I saw them shortly before they broke up. In all honesty, I liked Morrissey's solo live act in the ten years to follow more than the Smiths live act.

I would say yes. But I am biased. Aren't we all?I saw them shortly before they broke up. In all honesty, I liked Morrissey's solo live act in the ten years to follow more than the Smiths live act.
maybe because he communicate more with hid audience nowadays than in the smiths days
edit..hmm but the early shows :91 etc he doesnt seems to be in a talkaTIVE mood either

joins in..but i still wonder..didnt you both guys did not have a chance to see them live already...in flesh-so good old youtube,eh?
this must be one of the very few reasons why Im glad to live in germany..at least they come here..
but the US tours arent manageable anymore cause the shipping of their (special) instruments are too expensive

Yeah, they haven't been to Canada ever (I think) and not in the US in a very long time. They said that the costs of coming over would be too high, and the demand to see them in America too low, so it's not cost effective to do so.

One day I would love to see them live, but I doubt it will happen.

Yeah, they haven't been to Canada ever (I think) and not in the US in a very long time. They said that the costs of coming over would be too high, and the demand to see them in America too low, so it's not cost effective to do so.

One day I would love to see them live, but I doubt it will happen.

Me too, but don't you think it it would take some of the magic away?

Back
Top Bottom