A few questions about cassettes

everydayslikesunday

Protective covers for cassette tapes

Does anyone know of any company in the UK that sells protective covers for audio cassette tapes? I normally use Covers33 for my vinyl and cds but they don't sell anything to protect my cassettes. There are a couple companies across the world that sell them, but I'm trying to avoid having to pay high postage charges.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I've started collecting more casstte tapes for my collection and a few things have struck me:

A - Why are cassettes generally ignored by collectors, surely cassette singles are rarer than cd singles and 7"s and yet are worth far less? I know someone will say that cassette are an extinct media, far enough, but then is that relevant, vinyl is hardly cutting edge and yet still demands serious money.

B - Why did The Smiths only release three cassette singles in the UK?

C - Why are the cassette and cd single versions of Ask generally worth less then the other singles? This has baffled me for years.

A - Why are cassettes generally ignored by collectors, surely cassette singles are rarer than cd singles and 7"s and yet are worth far less? I know someone will say that cassette are an extinct media, far enough, but then is that relevant, vinyl is hardly cutting edge and yet still demands serious money.

People who collect for the content will prefer cds. People who collect for the artwork will prefer the 12"s, and/or the 7". Only completists will go for cassettes, and there aren't many of those.

As for the value, it's not the rarity that dictates that, it's the demand. If there's no demand, it won't be worth much. There's no direct correlation between rarity and value.

B - Why did The Smiths only release three cassette singles in the UK?

Because this wasn't really done much before 1986. By the time it became more commonly done the band split up. Also at some point the cd-single format took over as the preferred third format.

C - Why are the cassette and cd single versions of Ask generally worth less then the other singles? This has baffled me for years.

Because many people only collect for the artwork, they were just as happy with the 1995 reissue of the single. Also the initial release of "Ask" came out in many countries, including the USA and Canada, so that flooded the collector's market and lowered the demand, so consequently lowered also the value. As for people collecting for the content, the cd-single doesn't feature any material unavailable elsewhere on cd. "Panic", "Barbarism..." and "Last Night I Dreamt..." do. "The Headmaster Ritual" and "William..." have unique artwork. Only "Ask" doesn't have much going for it.

Stephane

i would also guess that it's because the sound quality on cassettes is quite poor by todays standards and the sound deteriorates and fails after a couple of years.vinyl on the otherhand is pretty much indestructable and therefore a good investment.:)

i would also guess that it's because the sound quality on cassettes is quite poor by todays standards and the sound deteriorates and fails after a couple of years.vinyl on the otherhand is pretty much indestructable and therefore a good investment.:)

I once knew a girl who threw some records of mine out of a window, trust me vinyl is not indestructable!!

Generally people who collect don't play most of the items they buy, so I don't think the sound quality has anything to do with it. When I collected cassettes I didn't need to play them, I had those songs many times elsewhere. Except for those record company in-house cassettes with demos and alternate or work-in-progress takes.

But then I guess some people might collect cassettes and nothing else, but I've never heard of that.

Stephane

I've got a few cassettes but I don't truely collect them, I mean if they are there & very cheap then ok, I'm daft enough to buy them, it's the same with any Smiths/Moz stuff though, I only search out stuff that I haven't got, which is really either foreign pressings or promo/white label stuff. I guess that I was/am too old to be of that generation when cassette was king & I'm still in love with the vinyl age!

love

Grim

I need another box.

cassettes-1.jpg

Hi all,

Some cassettes are quite collectable though aren't they ??

It took me a while to get the 12" mixes tape and the Brasil issue of Panic.

While we are on the subject does anyone know why Panic was issued on tape in Brasil only ?? I have always wondered !!!

Cheers,

Del.

If you need some cassette sleeves I could send you some for the cost of the sleeves plus the cost of shipping. Probably wouldn't be much.

If you need some cassette sleeves I could send you some for the cost of the sleeves plus the cost of shipping. Probably wouldn't be much.

That would great if you could Beau, much appreciated, although I need about 50 sleeves.

PM me.

cassette singles quick question

1.Browsing through the musicstack website i ran into seller w/BOY RACER cass.single for 15$(i never knew this came out on cass single format too???)
anyone can confirm this??

2.Also,in description for USA "Now my heart is full"cass single it says different p/s...Can anyone please also lighten up this one,thanks

Re: cassette singles quick question

You can get decent money for cassette singles? Eye-opening. I wonder if anyone wants to fork out for "Free", by Ultra Nate? Or one of my other hundred or so...

1.Browsing through the musicstack website i ran into seller w/BOY RACER cass.single for 15$(i never knew this came out on cass single format too???)

2.Also,in description for USA "Now my heart is full"cass single it says different p/s...Can anyone please also lighten up this one,thanks

All the answers you are looking for at http://www.PassionsJustLikeMine.com/

Stephane

Could be this

DSC00878-1.jpg

All the answers you are looking for at http://www.PassionsJustLikeMine.com/

Stephane

yeah Stephane,i know that,but there was no BOY RACER cass.single listed under BOY RACER part of MORRISSEY COMPLETE DISCOGRAPHY on Your site!:tears:
so,the real question is,is there anyone who can surely know if BOY RACER came out officialy as a cass.single format ever???
If it didint it would be i guess only single up to end of Maladjusted era wich didint end up on cassette:D

thanks in advance for the help:)

Back
Top Bottom