Market Research. If I Ran a Forum....

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
...what would you like to see in it? This is about one third to one half serious, as from time to time I do contemplate starting up my own Morrissey/General Chat forum when this one annoys me.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Structure.

General Discussion Like on Solo, with sub-forums for tour news, downloads, etc.
Fen Den For fan art, embarrassing fannish outpourings, your home-brewed cover versions, showing off your etched 10"-ers and that sort of thing. Probably with a Buy and Sell sub-forum in there as well.
Frinkers' Ghetto With artist sub-forums. Makes the frink easier to avoid. :D
Other Music If it isn't Morrissey or the Smiths. To include sub-forums for ex-Smiths, Lads/ex-Lads.
Off Topic Including a "Births, Marriages and Deaths" thread, a "Happy Birthday" thread and a "Congratulations on Making X Amount of Posts" thread. Attempts at duplication will be merged.
Sin Bin If I don't like your thread, I will lock it and then move it to here for others to sneer at.
Nuts and Bolts Forum news, gremlins and other issues.

Note: The forum would be for the fans, not the artist. It would not seek the sanction or approval of Morrissey. If Morrissey turned out to like the place, that would be delightful, but it's not an essential part of the brief.

What do you think? All suggestions (sensible and/or amusing) welcome.

Kate

:)

I like your thinking, very democratic. ;) Sin Bin sounds like a fun place to be.:D

Sadly, to get the hits, I'd probably have to go with something depressingly sensible, like "Morrissey Chat". :(

Hopefully someone will suggest nice name in here. ;)

I'd like to suggest that no duplicate user names policy on new fan site.

There are some people have the same user names on Solo which is very confusing (eg with gap or without gap, capital letters or small letters etc). :o

Hopefully someone will suggest nice name in here. ;)

I'd like to suggest that no duplicate user names policy on new fan site.

There are some people have the same user names on Solo which is very confusing (eg with gap or without gap, capital letters or small letters etc). :o

Hmmm, yes. Maybe user names too closely resembling existing ones wouldn't be allowed. Good point.

Oh noes, I love scandals, can you copy paste it for me, puhleeeeeeeeeese... :pray:

Ha, no it was on a locked comm and comments were disabled so no bastard could turn round and argue with me (welcome to the word of modding, Kate-style :p). I took it down once I was sure I'd got the message over.

If you like online fandom scuffles in general, I can recommend Fandom Wank.

http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/ :)

Awight! :gun::gun::gun:

Do you thnk I'd need a Testosterone Handbag sub-forum to contain you boys and your manly scrapping? :p

Manly Scrapping? that's not something you see every day...
2675056402_c5bc80e7a9.jpg

what tends to annoy you about this one?

When I look at the OT forum it's like a big, tangled drawer of socks and undies. I'd like to put some drawer dividers in and roll the socks into pairs. Other Music's a bit like that, too. And I'd like to drag the really trivial threads on GD into the fan area I termed the "Fen Den", because they dilute (what I perceive as) the purpose of GD - the discussion of Morrissey and the Smiths in the broad context of their music. Meanwhile, in the Fen Den, people could anorak to their hearts' content over where Morrissey gets his nose-hair trimmed, etc.

I'd keep some areas of my forum as members-only, too. You'd probably have to have x-number of posts to be let in to certain forums. Hopefully, the trolls would have shown their true colours before they got to that number, thus limiting their impact on the site. For the same reason, you might also have to have a certain number of posts before you could start a new thread. To help the new forum get going, people whose "history" I had from this site, would be able to skip those qualifying post counts.

When I look at the OT forum it's like a big, tangled drawer of socks and undies. I'd like to put some drawer dividers in and roll the socks into pairs. Other Music's a bit like that, too. And I'd like to drag the really trivial threads on GD into the fan area I termed the "Fen Den", because they dilute (what I perceive as) the purpose of GD - the discussion of Morrissey and the Smiths in the broad context of their music. Meanwhile, in the Fen Den, people could anorak to their hearts' content over where Morrissey gets his nose-hair trimmed, etc.

I'd keep some areas of my forum as members-only, too. You'd probably have to have x-number of posts to be let in to certain forums. Hopefully, the trolls would have shown their true colours before they got to that number, thus limiting their impact on the site. For the same reason, you might also have to have a certain number of posts before you could start a new thread. To help the new forum get going, people whose "history" I had from this site, would be able to skip those qualifying post counts.

well they are some of the most sensible suggestions i have read in a long time -this should be in site suggestions TCM

Sounds lovely, Kate and I wish you well...but one web addiction is already too many ;)

I’m not saying I won’t visit! ;)

well they are some of the most sensible suggestions i have read in a long time -this should be in site suggestions TCM

Last week when a thread about mozwa was posted Kate had an idea to start her own forums which is the background of this thread.

Solo is Solo, it won't have a makeover for the time being.

Last week when a thread about mozwa was posted Kate had an idea to start her own forums which is the background of this thread.

Solo is Solo, it won't have a makeover for the time being.

I don't know whether to exile Kewpie to the Sin Bin or put her in charge of it. :D

Back
Top Bottom