How many of you are vegetarian because of Morrissey?

emmanuela_7

I have become vegetarian for two weeks now. If it wasn't for Meat is Murder and Morrissey I would have never have thought of becoming one.
I do miss meat but I can survive without it.
Sometimes I think I'm crazy for being a vegetarian just because Morrissey said that eating meat is murder....
How many of you have become vegetarian because of Morrissey?

I have become vegetarian for two weeks now. If it wasn't for Meat is Murder and Morrissey I would have never have thought of becoming one.
Sometimes I think I'm crazy for being a vegetarian just because Morrissey said that eating meat is murder....

I had been thinking about it for a long while and i had tried a few times but one day out of the blue i was eating my lunch and "meat is murder" keapt playing over in my head and i have never eat meat ever since. So maybe Moz did play a part in it but i had been trying before i was a Morrissey fan.

I went vegetarian years before I even heard about Moz, but I can see how it could've made me reconsider the whole thing, had I still been eating animals.
If you don't 100% agree with the background idea yourself though, you won't be able to make it..just for Morrissey.

2 weeks aren't too long yet.. Good luck ;)

For me it wasn't because of Morrissey... I became a vegetarian long before I got into the Smiths.

I just find that avoiding coagulated blood in my food was the obvious thing to do. Tomato sauce, pepper, paprika, cilantro, basil, garlic, soy sauce... much better than blood, thanks :)

Not BECAUSE of Morrissey, but he was certainly one of several factors, such as newspaper articles, TV documentaries, a liking for animals etc etc.

I was given a t-shirt with the word 'Vegetarian' emblazoned across the front & that did it for me!

love

the ultra fickle Grim

We're being inspired by others constantly, and to be inspired by Morrissey is not the worst you could do :)

I was inspired to go vegetarian by another musician. I didn't even love him that much, but he was on the radio and was saying something like "don't eat animals, eating animals is bad". It wasn't witty or anything but strangely enough it changed my life. I just never really thought about it before that day.

edit:and Peter Singer :)

Last edited:
It was only actually when I found Morrissey I began to make the assosciation between meat and animals. Strangely enough it had never came into my mind that animals were being killed to produce it. It just never confronted me I suppose. Of course not until I heard Morrissey.

I've been listening to Morrissey for a year or so. But I've only been a proper Vegeterian for about four weeks. I didn't do it just to satisfy Morrissey but he did help me alot by provoking me and making me think about it. Eventually I came the conclusion that I did think it was wrong because I felt that I had an emotional bond with my dog and I'm certain I'd be capable of having the same connection with other animals. So that was behind my decision.

I'm not too critical on other people for meat eating. But I actually feel so much better now that I've stopped eating meat. I feel more energetic and my stomach feels really clean or something.

So I'd just suggest it out of health and taste reasons more than anything.

PS.
I hate 'Meat Is Muder'. Crap song. :p

No, you're not crazy - you heard the irresistible Call of Truth.

I have a very close friend who has been a Meat is Murder vegetarian ever since he first heard the song when it came out, in 1985. The weird thing is, he's not even an animal lover - he isn't even a particularly sensitive or ethical person. He just heard the song, and he couldn't eat meat after that. I think he's had three pieces of fish in the last 23 years - that's it, otherwise no flesh whatsoever, and he says it's all because of Morrissey. Amazing.

I'm another vegetarian who started down that road when I was just a little girl, before The Smiths. Still, upon hearing the song, I knew there was no going back.

Hang in there, and good luck to you. :)

Your sig brightens up every thread, Mike.

Highlight of the thread so far.

What, you don't think it's a tad funny that a t-shirt made me a veggy? Just think of the possibilities?

Your sig brightens up every thread, Mike.

Wassit say I turned 'em off ever since some numpty had an ejaculating he-man piece of crap exploding all over the place!

love

Grim

Don't worry Grim, it was a very close second.

My sig currently has two parts. One part is a poster called 'Fireglo' asking me to die, and the other part is

georgewife.gif

That sig is funny, maybe I ought to switch back on, I could be missing out on lots of fun?

love

Grim
P.s. for x-mas I'm getting a t-shirt with Status Quo on!

I became a veggie three years before Meat is Murder was released.Back then I was made to feel like a radical freak.The album just cofirmed it was the right thing to do.

I became a vegetarian because of Morrissey.

Back in my teenage youth, I tried it for a few weeks and didnt get too far into it before I braked for the nearest In N Out...sorry mateys, LOVE Moz and animals but, I love me some bacon.

He was certainly a big factor in my decision. I had toyed with the idea before, but had never been determined enough, or felt it was something I NEEDED to do, so I didn't last long with it. Listening to Meat Is Murder made the idea come to the forefront of my mind again, and gave me more of an emotional feeling when thinking about becoming veggie. Though still, that didn't seem enough. But when I saw a video, accompanied by the song, that made me feel sick and cry, it affected me greatly. And I haven't eaten meat since...for over a year.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=75081

you are NOT crazy, what Moz says is right, MEAT IS MURDER.
ive always believed this, since i was old enough to figure out the connection between for example sausages and a pig... i was about 10 when i totally realised that they didnt 'give' us the meat they were killed for it, and i swore from then on not to cause death for my food.it took several years of battling with my mother and starving myself because she'd only give me meaty meals.... and i couldnt/wouldnt eat them, no matter how hungry i was.
eventually i started buying my own food, (then escaped from the mad bitch) and the rest is history,
I was so delighted when i discovered Moz, that he had this stance too, in fact its a big part of the attraction, a nice intelligent caring soul who isnt afriad to say whats what, and male, thats a rarity, LOL
:D

good luck with the veggie thing, there are so many alternatives out there that you never need give in.
(and if you ever feel the need to pm me and ill bombard you with pics of MURDERED animals.. that'll guilt you into staying veggie. ;))

Back
Top Bottom