What should be on the new Smiths greatest hits CD?

Panic
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Ask
Bigmouth Strikes Again
How Soon Is Now?
This Charming Man
What Difference Does It Make?
William, It Was Really Nothing
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
Girlfriend In A Coma
Hand In Glove
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
I Know It's Over
Sheila Take A Bow
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
Still Ill
Shakespeare's Sister
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

:rolleyes:

If it's called "greatest hits" rather than "best of" they'll have to just put singles on there surely? And seeing as we already have a singles collection, it seems a complete waste of time.

You are not serious... there is yet another Smiths compilation coming out???

If it's called "greatest hits" rather than "best of" they'll have to just put singles on there surely? And seeing as we already have a singles collection, it seems a complete waste of time.

The terms 'greatest hits' and 'best of' are not legally defined!
They're just used for marketing purposes. They can put whatever they want on there.

There hasn't been a new Smiths compilation since the huge increase in interest in all things Morrissey related in 2004, so it seems like it probably is about time for a new compilation, but it's obviously not for the likes of us...

Last edited:
the sort of CD you’d burn for a mate who didn’t have a clue to encourage them to go out and buy all the albums.

I realize this isn't what you're asking here, but if I were introducing someone to The Smiths I would buy them "The Queen Is Dead" (preferably the vinyl album, if they had a turntable). Not only is it a great album to start with-- who wouldn't rush out to buy all the others after hearing those ten tracks?-- but it's a better introduction to the band because Morrissey's artwork is such a key part of the band's mystique/aura/image/"it" factor/whatever you want to call it. For the first five or six listens of "The Queen Is Dead", a new fan ought to be staring at the photos of Alain Delon wondering what the hell the connection is. Might spark even more interest, as it did with me.

Or not. I dunno.

I don't have a track listing because like others here I am speechless and horrified that they're releasing another GH compilation. The next and last Smiths release should be the box set, packed with rare versions and outtakes. Short of that it's flogging a dead horse.

Rubber ring without a doubt, come on guys!

Indeed. . . I refuse to buy these kind of compilation albums even if Moz takes a cut, but maybe it'll bring history to some new fans or fans-to-be if well- marketed.

they should have an online fan poll where the top 20 songs would make the album... let the fans pick what they want to hear ya know?

but yeah i would pick:

panic
bigmouth strikes again
i won't share you
boy with the thorn in his side
this charming man
what difference does it make?
asleep
unloveable
shoplifters of the world
i know it's over
a rush and a push and the land is ours