Do you wear sweatshop clothes?

Do you buy from companies that use sweatshops?

• No

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Yes, but I feel bad about it

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Yes, and I don't feel bad about it

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
How shall I hijack this thread? Any suggestions?

How shall I hijack this thread? Any suggestions?

:D

sweathogs_top.JPG

Re: Hehehe

Leave the Munchy's thread alone, guys.

Munchy is the future, give her some respect!

The world is doomed.

i don't wear clothing from any of those companies, and i wear a lot of American Apparel clothing, which is sweat-shop free of course.

are you physically capable of posting something w/out the aid of a picture?

yes , but visual aids are generally a bit more entertaining .

What snarky point were you attempting to infer ? Your verbiage is a bit incomplete . :D

But truly , a better answer is , " What the hell difference does it make to you ? "

Last edited:
i don't wear clothing from any of those companies, and i wear a lot of American Apparel clothing, which is sweat-shop free of course.

AA’s amazing growth is aided by the attention the brand gets for being “sweatshop free.” Indeed, all of AA’s products are produced in the US under such sweat-free conditions as above-minimum-wage pay and (limited) health benefits. Consequently, AA is a pin-up model for both capitalists and do-gooders, the former stressing that being profitable can have principles, the latter that being principled can have profits. Much of AA’s press would have you believe its very existence makes possible the dream of someday living in a socio-economic utopia. Too bad it’s a load of crap.

yes , but visual aids are generally a bit more entertaining .

yes, but are often more effective if used less frequently

What snarky point were you attempting to infer ? Your verbiage is a bit incomplete . :D

just felt like pointing it out, Ms Palin. :p

But truly , a better answer is , " What the hell difference does it make to you ? "

it makes none. just felt like being "snarky" :cool:

AA’s amazing growth is aided by the attention the brand gets for being “sweatshop free.” Indeed, all of AA’s products are produced in the US under such sweat-free conditions as above-minimum-wage pay and (limited) health benefits. Consequently, AA is a pin-up model for both capitalists and do-gooders, the former stressing that being profitable can have principles, the latter that being principled can have profits. Much of AA’s press would have you believe its very existence makes possible the dream of someday living in a socio-economic utopia. Too bad it’s a load of crap.

i don't wear their clothes because of any of that anyway, i just like them.

I would have to answer a yes to this question, although most of my wardrobe is hardly sheik. Do Levis count as "designer"? Theres' not that many options in the US at least, barring american apparel, of course. It's all imported, and it's all tainted in some way. Heres' how I see it: Regardless of what I wear I will inevitably contribute to exploitation and brutality. The corporation I work for to pay my rent and feed myself is an inhumane organization, much of the food we carry comes from countries where people starve or there is serious malnutrition. The people who grow it get a pittance. This can be applied to EVERYTHING. The computer I'm typing on, the search engine Google which helps design software for oppressive police states, etc. At the core, most fundamentally, I pay taxes to a government that is carrying out an unconstitutional, immoral war, and providing military aid to governments that violate human rights conventions. It's impossible to escape. One important conclusion to draw from this is that boycotts, except in the incident of highly organized, national and international campaigns, and they DO exist, are problematic to say the least. Because, far from the popular wisdom, these problems are not specific, but SYSTEMIC. It is the NATURE of capitalism, it is the FUNDAMENTAL structure of the power systems to create and propogate this kind of inhumanity. This has all sorts of far reaching implications. This leaves me, and the rest of us, obligated to amending, changing, and occasionally dismantling and destroying these systems, while simultaneously thinking of new forms of social organizations and relationships to replace them. I protest, I petition, I vote, and at the end of the day I'm able to feel alright about it. While we should always apply self-criticism, and look inwardly, we should not be paralyzed by guilt, for the guilt is not truly ours. The anger should be directed at the institutions, not just for the aforementioned crimes, but for placing us in a position where we must have complicity in those crimes.

Back
Top Bottom