That guy from Blur is a LAGER-EATER!

S

Sarah Marie

So I was strollin' around Tower Records and I came across this book... blur , in their own words...or something like that...so anyway I was flippin' through it and I came across a little comment by one of the bandmembers (I can't remember who) damon or alex possibly, I'm not familiar w/ the band but...

paraphrased obviously:
"...I hate @#!!!s like that. They use someone else to make them look good. Where would Morrissey be without Marr? He is a lager-eater."

he also made a few comments about blowing REM out of the water, giving them a run for their money or something to that effect...

What the @#*! is a lager-eater?...perhaps I'm just simple...please explain...Do any of you think that Morrissey would never have found any success if it weren't for Marr? I think he was a major part of it but Morrissey "looks good" all on his own...no?

An obscure insult, indeed. Perhaps a lager eater is someone who eats beer with a spoon instead of drinking it. Still sounds meaningless. We've all seen Morrissey chugging back the Coronas, anyway.¿ What the @#*! is a lager-eater?...perhaps I'm just¿ simple...please explain...Do any of you think that Morrissey¿ would never have found any success if it weren't for Marr? I¿ think he was a major part of it but Morrissey "looks¿ good" all on his own...no?

impossible to say

> "...I hate @#!!! s like that. They use someone else to¿ make them look good. Where would Morrissey be without Marr? He¿ is a lager-eater."

God knows what a lager-eater is. Maybe he means lotus eater? You might call Morrissey a lotus eater, and he would probably agree with you.

Anyway, it's impossible to say what would have happened if Moz and JM hadn't met. They're both genuises. Let's face it - most bands don't have that combination of brilliant lyrics and brilliant music. Morrissey had already done a bit of singing with the Nosebleeds before he teamed up with JM, so he obviously wanted to be involved in music, and maybe he would have found himself a decent band and achieved some kind of success. Nothing on the scale of the Smiths, though. It's the same thing with Johnny. Individually they're talented, but together they were amazing. They complemented each other perfectly.

The world is full of great artists who never get any real success - like Nick Drake or whoever. Moz can thank JM and JM can thank Moz for the heights they attained with the Smiths. And obviously, without the Smiths (i.e. Johnny Marr), Morrissey wouldn't have much of a solo career. He wouldn't have worked with Street, Boz, Lillywhite and all those guys if he were an underground nobody.

Back
Top Bottom