Belle & Sebastian are crrrap!

N

nico

Excuse me, for I cannot help but notice. Is this anti-singing, anti-climatic, anti-style band supposed to be the new Smiths or the saviours of pop? I think not. Cool album covers do not cut it. And Johnny Marr references are a cheap way to get Smiths fans in your corner. Morrissey and the Smiths always had incredible style and interesting things to sing about. The praise B&S have received is not deserved. I would think Smiths fans would look for more. They sound old. Not old in a good way either. Just old and tired. Someone please give those people some singing lessons. I just can't believe the crrrrap everyone is buying into. Long live the Smiths and Morrissey, but please don't lower your standards for such a mediocre band. If I want to be inspired, I listen to the Smiths. If I want to fall asleep, then maybe I'll listen to B&S. Anyone agree?

>Anyone agree?

what you wrote is exactly what i thought the first times i heard belle and sebastian.

but after this i became an addicted.

i think you should give one more chance to this marvelous band.

the genius

> what you wrote is exactly what i thought the first times i heard¿ belle and sebastian.¿ but after this i became an addicted.¿ i think you should give one more chance to this marvelous band.

Just thought that i would mention that I thought they were just ok at first too.....now I like them so much I wrote the message below :p

Is It Wicked To Compare?

If you really don't like Belle & Sebastian's music (and this is, I hope, after having actually listened to them), then fine. But if your only reason is that they don't sound like the Smiths, then that's a pretty weak argument.

Regarding some points you made:

1. B&S DO have "style" - it's a style all their own

2. The fact that they mentioned Johnny in a song does NOT make them name-dropping hipsters - you would know that, had you bothered to really listen to their lyrics.

You seem to be accusing us Smiths fans of blindly worshipping a band that happens to be compared (in OTHER ways, not necessarily musically) to them. You may find this hard to believe, but we don't ALL sit and compare the two bands. Personally, I don't think they're ANYTHING like the Smiths. If you could just view them independent of Morrissey and company, you may find things that weren't there, before.

So, 'Nico' (didn't you die in a Rogan-esque pile-up on the motorway, or was it just that you fell off your bike, or something?)

Belle & Sebastian are 'mediocre' and 'anti-style' are they? Point one: If you gave them a chance (and, yes, most people tend to find them distasteful at first), you may finf that they'd fill your life with beauty in exactly the same way El Smiffos did (or, indeed do). They are also incredibly stylish, purely by disassociating themselves from the 'fashion' trap, in much the same way Mozz and chums once did - though I'm sure Lady Mozzarella wouldn't turn down a Face front cover, as B&S did a full 18 months ago. Go figure.

As for the mention of Monsieur Marr in a song being an attempt to get Smiths fans 'on-side', I too found that reference a tad sad, but the fact is that there aren't really that many Smith-ophiles around nowadays anyway (at least, not those who are prepared to investigate new music - I'm sure there are many who still cling to the songs that made 'em cry, etc, and refuse to move on, and half of B&S hate The Smiths, so it's hardly a fandom thingummydoodah.

All in all, your missive reminds me of the Spice Girls fans who despise All Saints, or the 5ive-hating Boyzone contingent. Like, y'know, maybe, like, get over it? As someone who was obsessed with The Smiths, and still plays Morrissey's solo stuff with alarming regularity, all I can suggest is that you ditch your dogmatic pettiness and at least attempt to hear B&S for what they are; which is nothing else but beautiful (only slightly mental). I decided very recently that B&S had superceded the Smiths as my all-time swoontastic favouritse band (My Bloody Valentine are third, as if you care). But it's not ABOUT 'points', it's about appreciation of the things that make life worth living.

Christ, I'm inarticulate tonight.

Uh.... anyone 'agree'?
Hee hee.
Stephen.

> So, 'Nico' (didn't you die in a Rogan-esque pile-up on the¿ motorway, or was it just that you fell off your bike, or¿ something?)¿ Belle & Sebastian are 'mediocre' and 'anti-style' are they?¿ Point one: If you gave them a chance (and, yes, most people tend¿ to find them distasteful at first), you may finf that they'd¿ fill your life with beauty in exactly the same way El Smiffos¿ did (or, indeed do). They are also incredibly stylish, purely by¿ disassociating themselves from the 'fashion' trap, in much the¿ same way Mozz and chums once did - though I'm sure Lady¿ Mozzarella wouldn't turn down a Face front cover, as B&S did a¿ full 18 months ago. Go figure.¿ As for the mention of Monsieur Marr in a song being an attempt¿ to get Smiths fans 'on-side', I too found that reference a tad¿ sad, but the fact is that there aren't really that many¿ Smith-ophiles around nowadays anyway (at least, not those who¿ are prepared to investigate new music - I'm sure there are many¿ who still cling to the songs that made 'em cry, etc, and refuse¿ to move on, and half of B&S hate The Smiths, so it's hardly a¿ fandom thingummydoodah.¿ All in all, your missive reminds me of the Spice Girls fans who¿ despise All Saints, or the 5ive-hating Boyzone contingent. Like,¿ y'know, maybe, like, get over it? As someone who was obsessed¿ with The Smiths, and still plays Morrissey's solo stuff with¿ alarming regularity, all I can suggest is that you ditch your¿ dogmatic pettiness and at least attempt to hear B&S for what¿ they are; which is nothing else but beautiful (only slightly¿ mental). I decided very recently that B&S had superceded the¿ Smiths as my all-time swoontastic favouritse band (My Bloody¿ Valentine are third, as if you care). But it's not ABOUT¿ 'points', it's about appreciation of the things that make life¿ worth living.¿ Christ, I'm inarticulate tonight.¿ Uh.... anyone 'agree'?¿ Hee hee.¿ Stephen.

ok Stephen, I'll give you your opinion if you give me mine. I just wanted to see if I was the only one puzzled as to the B&S hype, and happily now I know that I am not. Sure, I've listened to them plenty and my opinion has not changed yet. But thats the beauty of opinions. They usually don't affect others right? I do have to say that I am worried that a band such as B&S could EVER replace the Smiths as far as being their all-time favorite. For I would never utter such blasphemy (just kidding). Well, I'm off to kneel at the altar of Moz....again

Re: Is It Wicked To Compare?

> If you really don't like Belle & Sebastian's music (and this¿ is, I hope, after having actually listened to them), then fine.¿ But if your only reason is that they don't sound like the¿ Smiths, then that's a pretty weak argument.¿ Regarding some points you made:¿ 1. B&S DO have "style" - it's a style all their own¿ 2. The fact that they mentioned Johnny in a song does NOT make¿ them name-dropping hipsters - you would know that, had you¿ bothered to really listen to their lyrics.¿ You seem to be accusing us Smiths fans of blindly worshipping a¿ band that happens to be compared (in OTHER ways, not necessarily¿ musically) to them. You may find this hard to believe, but we¿ don't ALL sit and compare the two bands. Personally, I don't¿ think they're ANYTHING like the Smiths. If you could just view¿ them independent of Morrissey and company, you may find things¿ that weren't there, before.

I would never compare them to the Smiths. Thats exactly why I posted that. Because I saw so many posts claiming that B&S were the second coming of the Smiths. So, naturally I checked them out and found otherwise (in my opinion). Anyway, by themselves, yeah they do at least have a unique sound. I guess it will just take a loooong time to grow on me, if ever. Meanwhile, I'll continue to pray for that elusive reunion.

Back
Top Bottom