Morrissey comment on TTY about the Hollywood Bowl DVD!

Is it too late to say I also like the cover?... someone said it harks back to Elvis - almost a late 50's look to it. Spot on.

I also can't wait to get my hands on a copy... sorry but I think this DVD will be great! I want one!!!

It's hard to be symathetic I sort of agree with Coiff. It seems odd to me that none of Morrisseys business relationships ever appear to run smoothly - at least that's the impression I get.

I like how quite a few people are getting very annoyed and saying they will buy whatever they want. Maybe that is Morrissey's plan-using reverse psychology to get his crtitics or wavering fans to buy the dvd out of a sense of defiance then in a few months say everything is tip top with warner so the rest of his flock can purchase it guilt free.
Good plan I say!!;)

I'm really not comprehending all of the bitterness towards Morrissey on this one. As an artist, he wants full control over his product and would like to reap the benefits (including the monies) of the work he's produced. By them releasing this dvd, it pretty much removes any possibility that he'll issue it at a later date the way he would intend for it to be.

If I'm just not seeing it, please explain it to me. It just seems to me that it's only fair to him that it be released how he would like and he should be compensated for it properly.

I'd love to see the footage of the show like all of you but I surely don't fault the man for his request that we not line the pockets of those bastards at the record company for a product he feels is not reaching it's full potential.

My vision of Morrissey is still from ten or so years back. Still love his shows, still like the guy, but he is far from the guy I first was attracted to.

I'll end up buying it, just like I end up buying all the other "unauthorised" releases. Look, I've spent thousands of dollars in the last two years alone following the man around the world, not to mention all of the "re-issue, re-package, re-issues" that have been tossed out in the last few years...true fans are't going to care about royalties. It's about the music for me. And I'm not sorry.

Last edited:
I was expecting more hardliners calling initiating a fatwa against anyone who dared defy the word of Morrissey and purchase this thing. I can't wait until it comes out, although right now I'm more preoccupied with the delayed region 1 version of the Sex Pistols "There'll Always Be an England." I will purchase this DVD the minute it becomes available, and as somebody once said "I'm Not Sorry.."

I'm really not comprehending all of the bitterness towards Morrissey on this one. As an artist, he wants full control over his product and would like to reap the benefits (including the monies) of the work he's produced. By them releasing this dvd, it pretty much removes any possibility that he'll issue it at a later date the way he would intend for it to be.

Do you know what happened?

Moz signed a contract to make a DVD with a record label that he was already pissed off at for ruining the Smith's back catalog with a bunch of cash-ins and was surprised when he got...more of the same.

youtube is where its at. how many of you have seen the swimmer from equatorial guinea? i loved it so much, i watched it 3 x in a row.

I've already ordered a copy from ebay. So there's not a lot I can do about that now. But to be honest I would probably still have ordered it had he made this comment a few days ago.

I think he's asking a lot for us to ignore this DVD. It's the first live DVD since 2005 and we have no idea when we're going to see another one. He should know how excited we are about this release and how much we want to see it. Especially the fans who attended this concert and of course his fans in Europe who didn’t get the chance to hear this particular set list live. And now also with the new album being delayed and no live shows planned for the remainder of 2008. This release is all we have to look forward too.

I don't have a problem with Morrissey wanting to make money from his work.
Or being unhappy that the timing/artwork/contents/etc..of this DVD was without his approval.

I may be mistaken, but I imagined the "Greatest Hits" was an unavoidable obligation of the latest recording deal. Morrissey is no longer in a position to call the shots, and that must grate. He sees clearly how people get pissed off with rehash. So he wishes to distance himself.

The message on TTY reads as hastily written in a strop. It reveals more than we care to see, but anyone who has hung around here long enough, knows that there's a distance between image and reality.

The magic is about the music and Morrissey does himself no favours by reminding us it's also a business.

I don't have a problem with Morrissey wanting to make money from his work.
Or being unhappy that the timing/artwork/contents/etc..of this DVD was without his approval.

I may be mistaken, but I imagined the "Greatest Hits" was an unavoidable obligation of the latest recording deal. Morrissey is no longer in a position to call the shots, and that must grate. He sees clearly how people get pissed off with rehash. So he wishes to distance himself.

The message on TTY reads as hastily written in a strop. It reveals more than we care to see, but anyone who has hung around here long enough, knows that there's a distance between image and reality.

The magic is about the music and Morrissey does himself no favours by reminding us it's also a business.

That pretty much sums it up. :)

Good post.

Re: this...

I may be mistaken, but I imagined the "Greatest Hits" was an unavoidable obligation of the latest recording deal. Morrissey is no longer in a position to call the shots, and that must grate.

As a few of us have said above, these deals and their "unavoidable obligations" are made by Morrissey's choice, plain and simple. There are alternatives. They're not very glamorous, but they exist. I sympathize with his predicament-- Elvis didn't suddenly start cutting indie 45s in the Seventies, and Oscar Wilde never bought a goat farm and retired to write in obscurity-- but if he wanted to avoid it and strictly make music, he could.

Last edited:
'There's so much destruction
all over the world,
and all you can do is complain about me!': guitar:

'There's so much destruction
all over the world,
and all you can do is complain about royalty streams and cover art!' :guitar:

I knew we would get more complaints!

Ha. Its more Moz, and whether he endorses it or not.. well its more Morrissey in the public domain and that is rarely a bad thing.

(P.s. I think the cover is quite good, but then im not artiste)

I will not buy if he is not happy . morrissey unhappy then it does not interesting .:confused:

Warner stupid should to express a press release, :p

who is his ex manager ? :rolleyes:

I will not buy if he is not happy. morrissey unhappy then it does not interesting. :confused:

Most of the people went to see the gig said that it's one of the best Morrissey gigs they saw.
How do you know it's not interesting without seeing it?

Warner stupid should to express a press release :p

What do you want from Warner? :confused:
They must be very excited that Morrissey himself did PR stant for them.

The only reason that Morrissey wouldn't receive royalties is if Warner had some sort of court order on them to keep back all the royalties for Mike Joyce. I can't see this being true and if it is Morrissey is an idiot for doing business with them.

I think the truth is he probably received a fee up front for the gig and as is usual with record contracts, the project won't recoup so he won't receive anything else.

Other than that he will receive writers royalties as his publishers will deal with that. So he is being very economical with the truth here. I doubt a big company like Warner's would risk their reputation with other clients just to make a few bob with a Morrissey release.
Exactly.
It's always someone elses fault, isn't it? :rolleyes: I mean, maybe he has a point. But I can't see it being 'breach of his contract' really, with a company as big as WB and with super hot shot lawyers. He needs to stop throwing the toys out the pram every 5 minutes.

Tags
diva piss and groan
Back
Top Bottom