Morrissey comment on TTY about the Hollywood Bowl DVD!

OK, I wont buy the DVD, I'll donate the money I would have spent on purchasing it to Mike Joyce instead:D

Jukebox Jury

Just saw this posted on TTY!!!!!
:tears: I feel torn!!!

Message from Morrissey

14 August 2008

MESSAGE FROM MORRISSEY.

The slapdash release of Morrissey live at the Hollywood Bowl is done by Warner without any consultation to me whatsoever, and is in breach of their terms as laid out by themselves in an agreement made for the film between Warner and my ex-manager. Being Warner, predictably the sleeve art is appalling. It is the work of cash-hounds, and I urge people NOT to buy it. I am not signed to Warner, and no royalties from this dvd will come to me. Please spend your money elsewhere.
thank you, MORRISSEY.

Morrissey, you are money-hungry plutocratic pig sometimes. :mad:
If your dispensible income allows you to donate £25,000 to Salford Lads' Club, then so what? No royalties from one fecking DVD? Life goes on.
Maybe I need to grow up.

That's not to say what Warner are doing is right, and they're just going to get the money from it now, aren't they? So I'm just going to sit inside and read Marx on the 6th of October. :p

The only reason that Morrissey wouldn't receive royalties is if Warner had some sort of court order on them to keep back all the royalties for Mike Joyce. I can't see this being true and if it is Morrissey is an idiot for doing business with them.

I think the truth is he probably received a fee up front for the gig and as is usual with record contracts, the project won't recoup so he won't receive anything else.

Other than that he will receive writers royalties as his publishers will deal with that. So he is being very economical with the truth here. I doubt a big company like Warner's would risk their reputation with other clients just to make a few bob with a Morrissey release.

Just saw this posted on TTY!!!!!
:tears: I feel torn!!!

Message from Morrissey

14 August 2008

MESSAGE FROM MORRISSEY.

The slapdash release of Morrissey live at the Hollywood Bowl is done by Warner without any consultation to me whatsoever, and is in breach of their terms as laid out by themselves in an agreement made for the film between Warner and my ex-manager. Being Warner, predictably the sleeve art is appalling. It is the work of cash-hounds, and I urge people NOT to buy it. I am not signed to Warner, and no royalties from this dvd will come to me. Please spend your money elsewhere.
thank you, MORRISSEY.

Interesting.

Let's but one copy, upload it, then disperse it on here. A way to stick it to them :cool:

I'm not buying. f*** Warner.

me neither...
I think this is a fab idea... i'll donate 5 pence towards the one copy though. ;)

What if some newbie comes along, never heard of Morrissey, buys this on a whim and becomes a fan, buying all his albums etc.. Im sure Morrissey would be pleased he has made another fan with his music... mind you, until that fan says "its cos i bought your hollywood bowl dvd.."

"Slapdash release". Not the true "Morrissey Brand Luxury Experience", in other words. I guess he doesn't realize that for many of us "slapdash release" would be a generous description of some of our most prized possessions, namely bootleg tapes of concerts, yet we should forego this one because of contracts, clauses, royalty streams, cover art, attorneys, ex-managers...why are we consistently asked to care about this, as if we were business partners and not fans?

I think things generally aren't going well for him at the moment. It's all been downhill since the end of last year and the NME incident, so he just needs something to grumble about. If he didn't want them to release it why on earth would he let them film it? Did he think they were doing it out of charity, or for their own private collections?

I don't think his Israel concert is considered an event worthy of being labeled "downhill."

...and here we go again. :sleeping:

I seem to remember similar issues with "Live at Earl's Court." Wasn't he estranged from his label then, and unable or unwilling to promote that album?

There's always some sort of drama surrounding these live releases - either he has phenomenally bad luck, or someone is always trying to do him in, or he gets terrible legal advice, or he's mad.

I seem to remember similar issues with "Live at Earl's Court." Wasn't he estranged from his label then, and unable or unwilling to promote that album?

There's always some sort of drama surrounding these live releases - either he has phenomenally bad luck, or someone is always trying to do him in, or he gets terrible legal advice, or he's mad.

Or someone is always trying to do him. :horny::D:rolleyes:

On a side note... There IS one legal possibility that I am surprised no one else has brought up. Morrissey may have had an outstanding commitment with Warner Brothers (when he was signed with them) that required a live video/dvd release. This may have been realized AFTER "Who Put the M in Manchester?" and may have been the reason behind the delay of this DVD to begin with as a tug-o-war type of situation may have existed behind the situation. Morrissey may have wanted to release the DVD and Warner Brothers wanted it for themselves to fulfill outstanding contract commitments.

That's plausible. There may also have been a commitment strictly for the Hollywood Bowl show, since, at the time, he was technically adrift before signing with Decca/Polydor in November 2007. This would go some lengths to explaining the year-long delay in the release, which would have been more pertinent as a fall/pre-Xmas release.

When Morrissey refers to "ex-manager," I am curious if he is referring to Merck or the woman who he hired back at the tail end of 2007. The press release about the "Years of Refusal" delay indicated he had yet ANOTHER manager. It is a very confusing state of affairs these days (no American label, etc).

For my part, I'd rather that "South With Morrissey" was given clearance for release....;)

Cheers,
Jamie

it can be pre-ordered on recordstore.co.uk for £17.99..man I hope this gets released in the states.

HMV are showing it for £10.99 (and I'd preordered it before his comments -oh well he can always offer to spank me)

But...but...WHAT ELSE CAN I SPEND MY MONEY ON?

Dammit, I needed to redeem myself for my last purchase.

Oh well, I'll just look for a torrent instead.

i know i am not a lawyer but i would assume he still gets royalties,unless he was drunk one night and gambled away his songwriter rights i would assume he gets royalties,perhaps he is not getting as much as he would want,i dunno.
and i dunno if i was him if i would be complaining about artwork when you consider many of the covers of the last few releases.

maybe he is just grumpy and needs a nap.

Tags
diva piss and groan
Back
Top Bottom