Bjork, yes or no?

Brilliant...Beautiful...and Bonkers! I love her!

040828_Bjork_vl_widec.jpg

Love Alma xxx

Absolutely agree 100% - she's amazing! Not sure if Moz would agree, mind....

passionsjustlikemine:
Army Of Me" - Bjork
In her "Post" book, she writes: " 'Army Of Me' is about Morrissey, or anyone who feels they can't cope". The song originally included a line mentioning Morrissey, something like "stop acting like Morrissey". It could be a coincidence echoing a line in the Smiths' "Ask", but in the video for the song, a timebomb with the word "Smith" on it bring her and her friend/lover together.

Fascinating - thanks for the info. Even in a negative way, Morrissey influenced one of her best songs.

passionsjustlikemine:

i cant quite understand why moz dislikes her-or at least the sugarrcubes as he had stated back then
(in the nme-i think).but mozzers` likes and dislikes of music i never could totally concur with my own-some I do, some not

The Sugarcubes were a long time ago. Perhaps he has changed his mind on Bjork, or perhaps he no longer cares. If he starts ragging on real artists, he's gonna back himself into a mean little corner.

did you know that the song 'army of me' was written for/about morrissey?

i have, or had, [its boxed away right now] the program of this album Post, the words to this song was written in her hand writing. when she talks about him, saying, stop complaining, you can see the word morrissey written in but scratched out. i guess she took the name out to make the song more universal or such. ill see if i can find it and scan it...i swear to god this is true

No, I wasn't aware of that; cool! I just bought Best Of, and Vespertine. But I noticed she is selling some SINGLES that are going for over $40! "Innocence" is one, and I've forgotten the other title. She's recording with Timbaland. But, SINGLES? Vespertine is supposed to be very strange, but that's an oxymoron when it comes to Bjork! Oh, and I don't know why Moz hates the Cocteau Twins. I love them. When I bought, "Influences" I honestly wasn't jazzed with some of his taste in music.

My answer would have to be 'meh'.
Sort of half-way between yes and no. I like some stuff and want to run away from other stuff.

I would prossibly buy new releases, again 'prossibly', half-way between probably and possibly.

Love Ptxx.

Some of her stuff I love but some of it I tried to get into but it didn't work, haha.

I have a special fondness for Joga, Venus As A Boy, and All Is Full Of Love.

edit: and while I'm here! what does she say around a minute before Joga ends? She says it a few times in the back of the 'state of emergency' part. (it sounds like "arms in a chair" but I know I'm completely off, hahaha.)

Last edited:
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. :p I can't explain, everything about her just annoys me.

edit: and while I'm here! what does she say around a minute before Joga ends? She says it a few times in the back of the 'state of emergency' part. (it sounds like "arms in a chair" but I know I'm completely off, hahaha.)

No idea. I don't have the lyrics booklet in front of me, but knowing Bjork, it's just some Icelandic gibberish. :p

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. :p I can't explain, everything about her just annoys me.

*un-friends EPbabe* :mad:

Some of her stuff I love but some of it I tried to get into but it didn't work, haha.

I have a special fondness for Joga, Venus As A Boy, and All Is Full Of Love.

Not sure, but I always sing it as "I'm still on top" - but prob Icelandic?

I love Bjork - she is a true artist. I saw her at the start of this year & it was an emotional experience, but fun & irreverent & amazing & inspiring. Can't give her enough praise.

I have to admit that her sound is not for everyone but I love Bjork!!! She if friggin' crazy!! But, she is also musically brilliant. Totally willing to try different things that no one has done before. If she fails, it is no big deal. Love her.

Love her. Debut was the first LP I ever bought (it took me a while to get into cds) and I haven't stopped listening since. I own all of her albums and I think she has only got better. I think "Volta" is probably her best album, although I am more emotionally attached to Debut, Post and Homogenic. But when I first heard "Declare Independence" I was aboslutely thrilled and I had to listen to it constantly for about a week. In the video she wears the flag of Greenland on her arm - the country, embarrasingly, currently colonised by my country. I was also incredibly pleased to se that clip of her chanting "Tibet! Tibet!" when she played in China. She probably won't play there again.

She is one of the few true originals that is left in pop music. She doesn't just keep doing what she knows works but continues to experiment. I think what makes her music unique is the combination of punk roots and the fact that she is also a classical composer. Her voice is, of course, instantly recognisable but so is her compositions, even when she doesn't sing. Listen to "Gratitude" from Drawing Restraints 9 (a film by her husband, the artist Matthew Barney) - there is no doubt that this is a Björk composition.

She is also brilliant as Selma in Dancer in the Dark (and that film is the most incredible work of art ever created but that is probably a whole other thread).

"Graitude"

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely YES!

And this may be blasphemous to some, but I rank her voice just above Mozzers. :eek:

I definitely recommend all her albums. Gling-Gló is one of my all time faves!

Nobody on this planet has a voice like hers. ;)

Maybe that explains why seeing/hearing her live is out of this world!:D

bjork31806_wideweb__470x333,0.jpg

bjork-4p.jpg

selmasongs_dancer_in_the_dark_b00004y6tq.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely YES!I definitely recommend all her albums. Gling-Gló is one of my all time faves[/IMG]

ahh Gling-Gló was the name of the jazz album (she recorded before debut)! i havent heard it for a while...
.when she thinks in her native language it is heartwarming-
i would love to see her live in iceland-
ive heard she translates all the english songs into icelandic while everywhere else she sings themas they appeared on the album-and the sugracubes reunion and live performance last year
wow..envy...

passionsjustlikemine:
Army Of Me" - Bjork
In her "Post" book, she writes: " 'Army Of Me' is about Morrissey, or anyone who feels they can't cope". The song originally included a line mentioning Morrissey, something like "stop acting like Morrissey". It could be a coincidence echoing a line in the Smiths' "Ask", but in the video for the song, a timebomb with the word "Smith" on it bring her and her friend/lover together.

drifter can you scan that i think you mmean that book right?

i adore her
have seen her 2 times (or 3 ) like in 2001 when she played a stunning concert in an operahouse very shortly after september 11..
with her inuit choir and an orchestra and her electronic duo musicians...ehh "matmos"
"play dead" live wow...venus as a boy ..ahhh
she is very unique and a true artist.

if she had continued bringing out albums in the same style like debut and post she could be an huuuuuge star(even much more bigger than she is now) who sell millions and millions and applies to the MTV generation of today -like gwen stefani--in that direction
..but she stayed true to herself and bringing out more "difficult" albums...i must say Im not too keen on medulla-not hearing it too often
but she is capable of writing perfect pop songs .if she does experiment and she dont care if she loses fans well then:respect!
her voice well you either love or hate her voice---
i repeat , i adore her..:sweet:even though I prefer her 3 solo albums to everything after homogenic
but some songs on selma songs are great.
one sing slighty offtopic
i cant quite understand why moz dislikes her-or at least the sugarrcubes as he had stated back then
(in the nme-i think).but mozzers` likes and dislikes of music i never could totally concur with my own-some I do, some not

i also like the jazz album she did before she brought out "debut" and i have some bootlegs with her singing coversongs some at sugracubes ,kukl times and some when she was child very obsure but great..i like her interviews
.like some stuff she tells about herself are interesting:"being totally happy on her own as a child a but the problems starts with the must of communitating with each other."
.so i can see why she as a young teenager developed a liking for the smiths...;)I think moz would like to beat up some journos too like she did once but Im afraid he will ever do...too bad :D

Bjork, yes or ?

sorry this took 5 months

i lost this bjork 'POST' zine. dug around in books stores for it again, and 'walla'

my proof 'army of me' was written about morrissey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes & Sigur Ros equally the same....been to Iceland twice & will never forget those experiences, it's SO unlike America! :)

Hmm, the jury's out...
I really liked the Sugarcubes back in the day....her first album was amazing...she did a number of good tunes after that and then, more recently I think she's utterly bizarre and unlistenable!

I don't even think you can call it avant garde any more can you? It's waaaay weirder than that! :D

Back
Top Bottom