MORRISSEY Contributes to New York Dolls Photo Book

SparkleBoy

worships Johnny Thunders
“The Dolls told me: We know you as you really are, and you’re OK by us.”--Morrissey, from his Afterword

Formed in New York City in 1971, the New York Dolls prefigured Punk, New Wave, and Glam Metal Rock with their over-the-top style and their ingenious sound, setting the tone for many rock bands that would later come on the scene. Comprised of singer David Johansen, guitarists Johnny Thunders and Sylvain Sylvain, drummer Jerry Nolan, and bassist Arthur “Killer” Kane, the Dolls are the acknowledged influence of bands as diverse as Blondie, the Ramones, Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, Morrissey, the Smiths, and the Sex Pistols.

Legendary photographer Bob Gruen has compiled the first photography collection devoted to the New York Dolls and their iconic and unprecedented style. Featuring over two hundred unforgettable images New York Dolls: Photographs by Bob Gruen celebrates one of the most important bands in music history.

About the Author
Bob Gruen is one of the most well-known rock-and-roll photographers of all time. For almost forty years his images have appeared worldwide in every form of print from postcards to posters to T-shirts and postage stamps. He is the author of John Lennon: The New York Years. He lives in New York City.

Product Details

* Hardcover: 160 pages
* Publisher: Abrams Image (September 10, 2008)

Available for Pre-order from Amazon.com

Book of New York Dolls Pictures - afterward by Morrissey

Book Collects Bob Gruen's New York Dolls Pictures:
http://www.aversion.com/news/news_article.cfm?news_id=11068

A legendary rock photographer's making a collection of pictures from a legendary rock act available in print.

Abrams Images will release New York Dolls: Photographs by Bob Gruen, a 200-photo collection of shots of the proto-punk band. Gruen's work covers everything from posed shots and live snaps to snapshots of the hard-living band's parties and backstage revelry. It includes text by Gruen, interviews with the band's two surviving members and, of course, an afterward by Morrissey.

Re: Book of New York Dolls Pictures - afterward by Morrissey

600px-Merge_sign.svg.png

Don't know the UK equivalent; sorry. :o

I read this at the local Border's last weekend. It's quite good - much better than his liner notes to "Under the Influence." He mentions discussing the Dolls in a Texas airport lounge with "the genial Gene Simmons of KISS," which is probably one of the more surreal celebrity conversations I could envision!

Cheers,
Jamie

I read this at the local Border's last weekend. It's quite good - much better than his liner notes to "Under the Influence." He mentions discussing the Dolls in a Texas airport lounge with "the genial Gene Simmons of KISS," which is probably one of the more surreal celebrity conversations I could envision!

Cheers,
Jamie

My friend had jury duty with Gene Simmons and agreed that he was "genial," despite the fact it was apparent he didn't want to be there. :o

Back
Top Bottom