Top bands/musicians/songs of 80s/90s/all time

V

Verve

I haven't been here for a while and I just read some posts from moz fans whining about the top bands at that LA station. Repeat after me people MORRISSEY IS NOT A GOD! True, he may be the greatest singer/musician alive, but he does not take the place of every other band on the planet. It is OK to have Sublime and RATM on the same list as the Smiths (Okay, maybe not Green Day). Relax, take a deep breath and remember that it is OK for people to like music that you don't. I love Morrissey and The Smiths,in fact I'm listening to Bona Drag as I type this; but I also love tons of other musicians. And I don't like them trampled on all the time because they're not the almighty Moz.

Variety is the spice of life Ladies and Gentlemen, and tolerance is Sublime.

Cheers..

> Repeat¿ after me people MORRISSEY IS NOT A GOD! True, he may be the¿ greatest singer/musician alive,

Before you think we are gonna say that @#!!!, read that line you wrote, then get a dictionary and look up oxymoron.¿ It is OK to have Sublime and¿ RATM on the same list as the Smiths (Okay, maybe not Green Day).

Sublime sucks for one reason and one reason only--HE'S DEAD!! For chrissakes, Brad Knowell must be this generation's Roy Orbison. He's dead, but he's still making records, the band is still touring in support of those records, and I'm just tired of hearing dead people sing!! (The only exemption is Jeff Buckley, however.)

As far as Rage goes, I can appreciate their message, but people make too much a deal of them. Now that they are a stadium act, do you think they care about Che Gueverra or Mumia anymore? Just watch when this new record comes out--they're gonna be doing commericals and ads up the ass. It all went downhill when they did Godzilla. Or even the king of sellouts, Puff Daddy.¿ Relax, take a deep breath and remember that it is OK for people¿ to like music that you don't.

...because if everyone else didn't listen to CRAP, then The Smiths would've never existed. There wouldn't be a need for them.¿ I love Morrissey and The Smiths,in¿ fact I'm listening to Bona Drag as I type this; but I also love¿ tons of other musicians. And I don't like them trampled on all¿ the time because they're not the almighty Moz.

But I despise the fact that their careers were given boosts as a result of Moz's dismissal. Since Nirvana, the Manchester era had died and had been dismissed as a fad. That's bull@#!!!. Crap like Green Day, Bush, Blink 182, No Doubt, Live, 311, Limp Biskit, Korn......all of those stuff are fads. None of it ever belongs in Rock history. And, The Smiths very much deserve to be in history books. We have a right to be angry that these stupid, second-rate bastards are successful as a result of The Smiths' contemporary dismissal.

And the one thing that causes our anger with the contemporary bands is their lack of respect for history. There are some punks that don't like the Sex Pistols--the band that created it entirely (with Malcolm McClaren, of course). There are rap artists who care more about acting like tough @#!!! rather than having the all-important jazz roots (or any musical background at all). There are hardcore kids that don't know there was hardcore before Korn. And people swear that Gravity Kills or Rammstein are industrial--they are metal bands that are influenced by industrial bands.

And do you know why we find it so insulting? Because the music of today is FASHION MUSIC. These kids will sell their CDs the same weeks they sell clothes. Whereas, The Smiths will always stand the test of time. Give me one artist whom debuted from 1997, and I guarantee that artist will never be seen again. The Smiths should not be treated like a second-rate-never-was. They did alot of importance in music history. It is unrecorded only because their music is what is for sale, not soda or video games.¿ Variety is the spice of life Ladies and Gentlemen, and tolerance¿ is Sublime.

Variety is important, but are you foolish enough to think the bands of today are doing anything original? Everything is either a cheap fusion of two styles [in order to please fans from both sides], or straight out karaoke.

I hope you don't think Sublime is ska. Or even Buck-O-Nine, or any other American band with trumpets. Ska is Jamaican, and what Americans did to it was make it punk with trumpets. Sublime has nothing to do with Jamaica, and it's CRAP.

Once was the day when Bob Marley was ska. (After all, reggae came from ska.) I challenge you to find stuff from that era. That's the real deal, not Sublime.

> I haven't been here for a while and I just read some posts from¿ moz fans whining about the top bands at that LA station. Repeat¿ after me people MORRISSEY IS NOT A GOD! True, he may be the¿ greatest singer/musician alive, but he does not take the place¿ of every other band on the planet. It is OK to have Sublime and¿ RATM on the same list as the Smiths (Okay, maybe not Green Day).¿ Relax, take a deep breath and remember that it is OK for people¿ to like music that you don't. I love Morrissey and The Smiths,in¿ fact I'm listening to Bona Drag as I type this; but I also love¿ tons of other musicians. And I don't like them trampled on all¿ the time because they're not the almighty Moz.¿ Variety is the spice of life Ladies and Gentlemen, and tolerance¿ is Sublime.¿ Cheers..

Well it's just a fact of life that most people have bad music taste and I'm not just talking about in America where sure it's bad, but everywhere, including the UK where the charts are possibly even worse - filled with bad embarrassing cheesy manufactured pop which will get nowhere over there and you'll be lucky to avoid, at least the US is mostly rock-oriented even if it's bad.

¿ Sublime sucks for one reason and one reason only--HE'S DEAD!!¿ For chrissakes, Brad Knowell must be this generation's Roy¿ Orbison. He's dead, but he's still making records, the band is¿ still touring in support of those records, and I'm just tired of¿ hearing dead people sing!! (The only exemption is Jeff Buckley,¿ however.) THat is very wrong and i have more then one reason umm.. if morrissey was dead would you stop listening to him? and if some of his material wasnt released and he died when he was in the smiths would you get mad that they were still releasing records? I dunno but i know i wouldnt.Thank god that didnt happen but if it did i would still be listening to him today. I happen to enjoy sublime and just because he is no longer here doesnt mean i DOnt still love or appreciate their music.¿ belongs in Rock history. And, The Smiths very much deserve to be¿ in history books. We have a right to be angry that these stupid,¿ second-rate bastards are successful as a result of The Smiths'¿ contemporary dismissal. I agree on this that the smiths do
deserve to be in the record book very much. And most of the bands out now do suck but the bands that dont need all the hype to touch people aere the only ones that matter in the end> I hope you don't think Sublime is ska. Or even Buck-O-Nine, or¿ any other American band with trumpets. Ska is Jamaican, and what¿ Americans did to it was make it punk with trumpets. Sublime has¿ nothing to do with Jamaica, and it's CRAP.
sUblime never said they had anyting to do with jamaica ..you should be happy that he found his own style of music and made it with what influenced him the most. alot of bands today also did the same. Once was the day when Bob Marley was ska. (After all, reggae¿ came from ska.) I challenge you to find stuff from that era.¿ That's the real deal, not Sublime. yes bob marley is the real deal .. SO?

Back
Top Bottom