Curious...would you ever own a snake as a pet?

iamkali62

My friend Keith has a 4ft. long "ball" (?) python named Allen Ginsberg. I am not afraid of snakes (except the black mamba variety- with that scary hood) but I asked him last night, "You can't play with it like a puppy or kitten; what exactly do you DO with it?" He said, "I like to feed him mice and sometimes I put Roxy (his cat) in another room and lets Ginsberg out. I dunno; a snake is probably one of the last animals I would want to own.:eek:

ooooh man

i am deathly afraid of snakes,even the little tine ones you see out in the yard,i was mowing my lawn a couple werks ago and one slithered by and i must have jumped two feet

hahah

:o

ooooh man

i am deathly afraid of snakes,even the little tine ones you see out in the yard,i was mowing my lawn a couple werks ago and one slithered by and i must have jumped two feet

hahah

:o

I used to be like that
until my cousin Bob took out one of his coral snakes (it was like 6in. long. They're not slimy; they're (I can't think of the word.) But I guess if I were in the jungle and one dropped down on me, I'd probably scream bloody murder!:eek:

Last edited:
I used to be like that
until my cousin Bob took out one of his coral snakes (it was like 6in. long. They're not slimy; they're (I can't think of the word.) But I guess if I was in the jungle and one dropped down on me, I'd probably scream bloody murder!:eek:

haahahah i shouldnt even be looking at this thread,its making all jumpy even thinking about snakes.

haahahah i shouldnt even be looking at this thread,its making all jumpy even thinking about snakes.

Well, I could've made the thread about tarantulas! (now THOSE scare the freaking hell out of me- especially the jumping ones- ugh!)

I think I'd like a chance to be around one that I was used to, but I don't really like them. I mean, they're great, but I have never felt like I wanted to have one and I don't like having them clo0se to me.

I'm not so sure any animal that doesn't possess the ability to have a connection with its "owner" should be kept as a pet. I mean, if given the opportunity, would Allen Ginsberg return to your friend Keith if it happened to slither out the front door? I don't mean to get all soap-boxy or anything. Just my opinion. There are some animals that I don't think should be kept as pets.

I like snakes. I'd probably enjoy keeping a snake if I had the means to properly take care of it.
I generally prefer things with legs and fur, or exoskeletons, but snakes are alright.

Eventually I'll come into ownership of a snake, certainly not one that's big enough to have to eat mice... I hope.
A smaller type that eats worms and whatnot would be pretty fab. I'd name him Gregory.

I'm not so sure any animal that doesn't possess the ability to have a connection with its "owner" should be kept as a pet. I mean, if given the opportunity, would Allen Ginsberg return to your friend Keith if it happened to slither out the front door? I don't mean to get all soap-boxy or anything. Just my opinion. There are some animals that I don't think should be kept as pets.
Some animals shouldn't be kept as pets, defiantly, it would save my family a lot of money and stress if people wouldn't get these animals in the first place. They find that they can't take care of them right or they just ain't the right animal for them (gee I wonder why) so they bring them to us. I'm sure if a snake was brought to us we'd fall in love with it just like we always do, but animals like pythons and stuff should really be treated with respect. Once an animal is "domesticated" you can't really release it but it's worth it to give it a life better than anything else it could have in a the hands of a less capable "caretaker."

I gotta say though, garter snakes are actually pretty friendly. You can hand feed them a variety of food, they're small and they "hug" you. If anyone is interested in a snake, look into one of those. I've known people who keep them and in my experience with them they're easily tamed and show a lot of personality. All snakes aren't the same and those may actually prove to be a nice pet to someone who shows them respect.

As with any reptile, though, it's more of a caretaking thing than it is necessarily a having a pet thing.
There are people who really feel a kinship with reptiles but I feel they require a lot of respect and special care.
Go big or go home when it comes to caring for reptiles imo.

Last edited:
I love snakes. :D

I'm the first one to pick one up if I see one. See?

f63afa37.jpg

However, snake poo is some of the most foul-smelling stuff ever. :sick:

You rescue animals people don't want?

Basically. We don't go out of our way or advertise, people just find us somehow and bring us things. It's distressing.
I don't think rescue is the right word for it, cos being around me is just plain torture.

Most of our animals are given to us by people who can't take care of them but can't take to the pound or something similar.
Hugs > the pound.

Last edited:
It totally is. It beats out that rank liquid chicken poo and that says something.

I can't even describe what it smells like. It's just horrible. It's smells something like, "DAAAAAMN!" :eek:

To me it's more like "SWEET BONELESS CHRIST!"
Also, does you has a snake and if so what is his name. :D

A snake is one of the things I don't have. They're too much responsibility for me. :o

A snake is one of the things I don't have. They're too much responsibility for me. :o
Heh yeah, I'm dreading the day I have to take care of a snake. I'm sure it'd be a good experience but man it looks like a lot of work.
The tank alone would be annoying enough to get, my crabbies are hoggin' the 30 gallon, and snakes would need even more to be happy! D:

yay gir!

Back
Top Bottom