The Smiths "Rare" album

barenstank

More like cow-pie...
Saw this smiths album entitled "rare" on Rhapsody music player. I have never seen nor heard of it. Any information on it?
1233395_170x170.jpg

Wonderful Woman
Jeane
Money Changes Everything
The Draize Train
Work Is A Four Letter Word
I Keep Mine Hidden
Accept Yourself
Handsome Devil (Peel Session)
What's The World?
This Charming Man (New York Vocal)
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Live)
Pretty Girls Make Graves (Non Album Version)
Stretch Out And Wait
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What Difference Does It Make (Peel Session)
Miserable Lie (Peel Session)
Reel Around The Fountain (Peel Session)
These Things Take TIme (David Jensen Session)
Still Ill (Peel Session)
You've Got Everything Now (Peel Session)
Back To The Old House (Peel Session)
This Charming Man (Peel Session)
http://www.rhapsody.com/thesmiths/rare

Rhapsody doesn't put bootlegs in their program.

It says it was released under faucet music.

We have to wait for Stephane and some other collectors to clerify it.

Official and unofficial release of Smiths alblums and singles are listed on Stephene's passionsjustlikemine.com, but this album isn't listed on there.

No crap. Listen to wonderful woman and tell me you've heard a better version. Jeane too. Those are the only two of this compilation that I hadn't heard this well produced before. All the other ones are the same ones we already have from sessions and b-sides. And the New York Remix is by Francois Kevorkian.

Last edited:
We have to wait for Stephane and some other collectors to clerify it.
Official and unofficial release of Smiths alblums and singles are listed on Stephene's passionsjustlikemine.com, but this album isn't listed on there.

It's a fanmade bootleg compilation of non-album studio tracks.

Those are not listed on "Passions Just Like Mine". Every week now someone puts up somewhere their own compilation of non-album tracks with their own artwork. It's impossible to keep up. As a general rule I have a policy of not covering bootlegs of officially released material, unless it's just a few tracks mixed with unreleased material.

Stephane

It's a fanmade bootleg compilation of non-album studio tracks.

Those are not listed on "Passions Just Like Mine". Every week now someone puts up somewhere their own compilation of non-album tracks with their own artwork. It's impossible to keep up. As a general rule I have a policy of not covering bootlegs of officially released material, unless it's just a few tracks mixed with unreleased material.

Stephane

How could a fan make a bootleg and get it put up on rhapsody? They need to pay someone for each time a song is purchased. There are contracts involved.

Seriously. Listen to the Wonderful Woman and jeane tracks. How can you think its just some fanmade bootleg when everyone is still distribubuting radio sessions of these tracks. Why haven't we heard these studio quality versions yet. Listen to the tracks from the link i posted before you go off saying what you think it is.

How could a fan make a bootleg and get it put up on rhapsody? They need to pay someone for each time a song is purchased. There are contracts involved.

I know what you mean, but it's still a bootleg. Even the artwork is bootleg quality. More surprisingly someone found this week a bootleg sold on HMV Japan. I'm guessing some people have found ways to make these slip through the cracks.

Stephane

I know what you mean, but it's still a bootleg. Even the artwork is bootleg quality. More surprisingly someone found this week a bootleg sold on HMV Japan. I'm guessing some people have found ways to make these slip through the cracks.

Stephane

Listen to the song, i realise it is bootleg quality album cover. But the SONGS are not.

Listen to the song, i realise it is bootleg quality album cover. But the SONGS are not.

Of course the songs are not, they sound good, they're all studio versions from officially released cds. Bootlegs are not necessarily all produced with inferior live material. I'm guessing you don't have the "This Charming Man" single which features the studio versions of "Wonderful Woman" and "Jeane" otherwise you wouldn't be that amazed by the quality.

Is anything else wasn't enough, the fact that it's credited to 'Faucet Music' is another clue. The rights for this material belong to Warner Music. I'm guessing it must be 'Faucet' as in 'Leaky Faucet'.

Stephane

Of course the songs are not, they sound good, they're all studio versions from officially released cds. Bootlegs are not necessarily all produced with inferior live material. I'm guessing you don't have the "This Charming Man" single which features the studio versions of "Wonderful Woman" and "Jeane" otherwise you wouldn't be that amazed by the quality.

Is anything else wasn't enough, the fact that it's credited to 'Faucet Music' is another clue. The rights for this material belong to Warner Music. I'm guessing it must be 'Faucet' as in 'Leaky Faucet'.

Stephane

Actually i do, and it definitely isn't as good as the ones on rhapsody... I'm guessing you didn't listen to it...

Oh I took it to be a reference to the "kitchen sink" dramas of the 50's and
60's that Morrissey was so fond of.

I also just became aware of this release today. I was driving to work this morning and heard the live version of the James song "What's the World" on the radio. Very surprising, as this station does not play bootlegs.

Murray Head, it's taken from a film "The Family Way".
The picture is used sleeve of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.

Last edited:
I was driving to work this morning and heard the live version of the James song "What's the World" on the radio. Very surprising, as this station does not play bootlegs.

And they still have not played a bootleg.....
'What's The World' was recorded live and officially released as an extra track on the cassette single only for 'I started Something.....'

Seriously. Listen to the Wonderful Woman and jeane tracks. How can you think its just some fanmade bootleg when everyone is still distribubuting radio sessions of these tracks. Why haven't we heard these studio quality versions yet. Listen to the tracks from the link i posted before you go off saying what you think it is.

you basicly have posted on there
the rarest smiths album EVER!
Hatful Of Hollow and a tiny bit of The World Wont Listen
and then some b-sides
seems you're trying to advertise for rhapsody

Last edited:
I saw on ebay the other day The Smiths debut album on vinyl and it was described as 'rare'.
I asked the seller what was 'rare' about the album and the reply was thus:

''OK, if you live in a big city in England then it isn't rare, but if you live in Norway, way up north in Norway then it is rare''.

So there you have it. What a muppet. I emailed him back and said

''So why don't you advertise it as 'rare in Norway but not in Birmingham'?''

I have not had a reply......

you're an idiot
either you're ignorant to the smiths discography
or you're just a lame trying to trick other people
you basicly have posted on there
the rarest smiths album EVER!
Hatful Of Hollow and a tiny bit of The World Wont Listen
and then some b-sides
seems you're trying to advertise for rhapsody
shouldn't the mods have something to ssay about promoting?

No need to be rude.

It's a good chance to give a lesson to barenstank who stubbornly refuses to accept the fact.

Back
Top Bottom