The Smiths - Universal 2 cd box set

everydayslikesunday

Hello everyone. I thought I had aready posted this but it has dis-appeared(?), therefore:

Does anyone know anything about a two cd box set from Univerisal. The first cd contains songs from The Smiths, whilst the second one features music by the Smiths sung by other people. The disc's are pressed and not cd-r's. The case is slightly smaller than an A4 size book and has the photocover to 'The World Wont Listen' on both sides. There is no title on the front or the spine, just 'The Smiths'. The dealer believes it would be used by television and radio pragrammes. He also had a similar Joy Division box set. The asking price was £120 which seemed a bit steep.

Hello everyone. I thought I had aready posted this but it has dis-appeared(?), therefore:

Does anyone know anything about a two cd box set from Univerisal. The first cd contains songs from The Smiths, whilst the second one features music by the Smiths sung by other people. The disc's are pressed and not cd-r's. The case is slightly smaller than an A4 size book and has the photocover to 'The World Wont Listen' on both sides. There is no title on the front or the spine, just 'The Smiths'. The dealer believes it would be used by television and radio pragrammes. He also had a similar Joy Division box set. The asking price was £120 which seemed a bit steep.

was it released on universal ? do you have a photo ?

Yes it was released by Universal. Unfortunately I don't have a camera phone so I haven't got a photo.

Hi Scott,

I'm very interested in their origin, numbers produced, rarity, in fact anything you know. I would have bought it, but not knowing it even existed, I had no idea of it's value and £120 seemed a lot money to spend on a gamble.

I wish that I knew more about it.

All I can say is the copy I have is one of two I've ever seen.
It seems that it's a publishing CD, akin to "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" (that 2CD set with the Irish Blood cover) and the couple of Smiths publishing CDs that have crept out in recent years. If you want the track list for the two CDs, let me know and I can transcribe it for you.

It's hard to say if it's "worth" 120 pounds, but if you're waiting to find another one for cheaper, you might have to wait a long time. I'd say that you should buy it if you can afford it.

I'm actually interested to know about the Joy Division box that the seller has. After you buy the Smiths one for yourself (if, in fact, you decide to do so), would you mind passing the seller's information on to me?

Thanks!

I contacted the dealer last night about the Joy Division box set and unfortunately it has been snapped up. As he has connections with the publishling house, he said he'll keep a eye out for another copy, but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Sorry :(

i actually had 2 of these booklets at one point. i sold one of them to a fellow collector a while back. they are silver pressed discs, not like other publishing house cds that are cdrs. made by Universal UK i believe.

smithsuniversal1.jpg

smithsuniversal2.jpg

Hi .X.

Thanks for info. I've decided to take the plunge and have bought this boxset. I pick it up next weekend. It's nice to owe something that not everyone else has.

Back
Top Bottom