The Songs in The Songs That Saved Your Life.

I am sporadically reading this excellent-cum-far-too-anorakish volume, which I recently bought. Enjoying it, but nowhere near as much as The Severed Alliance or, more specifically, Saint Morrissey. Good thing Moz had so many bookish fans, or nowhere near as many books would have been written about him! But I suppose ultimately they're all companion pieces that all add something to your knowledge of the band.

But I have a question for youse good people. The book mentions a few songs (Wonderful Woman is one title I can remember, but there are others) I had never heard of before that are not, insofar as I know, available on record. Anybody know where it would be possible to hear these old songs? And also, if a bootleg of the first recording of the first album is available at all? I would LOVE to hear that.

Also, any recordings of These Things Take Time apart from the ones on The World Won't Listen and Hatful of Hollow would be welcome, and What Difference Does It Make on Hatful too. I am just asking because I love these songs so much, and would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

G.

Wonderful Woman was the b-side to the 12-inch This Charming Man. (Rewritten from What Do You See In Him?, which can only be gotten on bootleg)
Jeane is the b-side to This Charming Man, the 7-inch
I Keep Mine Hidden is b-side to Girlfriend in a Coma
What's the World was on the cassette I Started Something.... I think

And also, if a bootleg of the first recording of the first album is available at all? I would LOVE to hear that.
G.

Do you mean the initial Troy Tate sessions? I'm sure someone will post it, as it's quite widely available. I would give it a go, but as I'm at work I'm not able to at the moment.

Yes, I mean the Troy Tate sessions. And I would love to hear that, if you could post it.

Cheers.

Yes, I mean the Troy Tate sessions. And I would love to hear that, if you could post it.

Cheers.

Check the downloads/bootlegs section of the forum. Someone posted them recently. :D

Thanks. Guess I just haven't checked out that much of this site yet.

Yeah, well, I'm so crap and outdated I couldn't even work out how to download the sessions, cos it didn't include a simple download link to press for an old computer-semi-literate person like me who just wants to hear the music.

Sure it sounds interesting.

Shrug.

Oh well.

Which part are you having trouble with? Perhaps I can help.

I dunno. I went to the Smiths torrent thingummy (so technical) site, went to the Tate sessions link...and all the song titles were not links, and I got the feeling that they were meant to be and that somehow I was missing something. I registered and went back to the thread, but it was still the same unilluminating unilluminated stuff. I dunno, maybe I'm just too old or did something wrong. All I wanted to do was go to a site, press some link that would download the album for me, and then listen to it. I don't know about these 'torrent' things (I'm 38 and not too hot on computators) or any of that jazz.

Your offer of help is very kind, by the way, and even if it comes to nothing I still very much appreciate it.

Cheers.

Try this:

Click on the RapidShare link.

That will take you to their website. From there, click on the "Free" button on the bottom right of the page.

That will start a download ticket countdown. When it counts down to zero, a box will appear underneath the letters with pictures of cats around them. Enter the text you see into that box and click the "Download" button.

After you've clicked that button, a box will pop up to ask you what you want to do with the file. Select "Save to Disk" and that will start the download. You'll need to have software to extract the files. You can get that here: http://www.extractnow.com/

Hope this helps!

I'm rubbish at all this technology too, but luckily there are lovely people in the world who put things on youtube, that I am eternally grateful for.

This is Wonderful Woman, live at the Hacienda, on the 6th of July 1983.
Uploaded by lightbox07

This is Jeane, uploaded by grazianeddu

And, I Keep Mine Hidden. With a dancing Morrissey cartoon. Uploaded by kajagoogoo20

Last edited by a moderator:
he looks so awkward in the WW video!

i love it!
was that whole show recorded??

I don't know about whether it was ALL recorded, but I've had a look, and lightbox07 has more from that show. So, certainly quite a lot of it was. :)

Accept Yourself

Miserable Lie

Hand In Glove

I Don't Owe You Anything

These Things Take Time

What Difference Does It Make

Reel Around The Fountain

Handsome Devil

You've Got Everything Now

All thanks to lightbox07. Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"That wasn't Miserable Lie, that was Hand In Glove. If you've bought Hand In Glove, why don't you go out and buy it again?"

Classic.

Going back to the songs that saved your life ....

'The Ordinary Boys', the song not the awful, awful band
It is by no means my favourite song but it's poignant at this part of my life because it's really gives me a feeling of superiority over the small minded morons that surround me at school.
As does 'Heaven Knows ...' mainly because of 'why do I smile at people I'd rather kick in the eye' because unfortunately that's exactly what I do.
And 'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores ... actually brilliant.

'Half a Person' because I'm quite a lonely ... sod?
'November Spawned a Monster and 'I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now' for the same reason.

:)

and 'That's How People Grow Up'

Last edited:
I have the troy tate sessions,But would like to know if it is "illegal" to post them anywhere,I don't want to spend time in Strangeways and share my cell with a fat man from Doncaster who likes "sticking" things.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom