Bona Drag

swiss

Listened to it again for the first time in absolutely ages last night and what a top album it is. Moz early stuff for me is still his greatest. For me it has overtaken Vauxhall and I in my favourites list.

Any Comments.......

it is an amazing album but for me nothing beats vauxhall, that album breaks my heart, the opening track now my heart is full just kills me everytime.

Theres no doubting its a fab album. I still prefer V & I though.....

My favourite Moz album for numerous reasons.

I even have a "Bona Drag" Tattoo in my right arm!! I love the songs, the title... and the cover!! I remember when I've got this album. I was around 17 years old and I was fascinated by the image in the cover and that lovely photo in the back. I would play the record over and over again and lay in my bed holding that picture.

A complete masterpiece.

it is an amazing album but for me nothing beats vauxhall, that album breaks my heart, the opening track now my heart is full just kills me everytime.

I totally agree with you Now My Heart Is Full is a masterpiece. It is emotional and beautiful. Bona Drag has been one of my favorites since day one. Every track is enjoyable for me. I even love such obscurities as Yes, I am Blind and He Knows I'd Love to See Him.

Yup, Bona is indeed a brilliant compilation album. I'd argue though that it doesn't compile the very best songs from those early singles. Would've preferred to have had 'Sister I'm A', 'I Know Very Well' and 'Michael's Bones' over stuff like 'Yes I am Blind' and 'Lucky Lips'.

Those early songs are just so ... zingy. Even without the singing, the music stands up on its own. I think that was actually an objective of Kevin Armstrong who wrote a couple of the songs. He said he was trying to do what Marr did and write a fantastic musical composition which was strong in its own right.
I think Moz really lost that quality from much of his music in the post Vauxhall years...

A great compilation but NOT a masterpiece. Because, like all compliations, it feels like a compilation of great songs, rather than a cohesive entity in its own right. Also, it could have been better. It got mixed reviews (naturally) on its release and even I saw it as a missed opportunity at the time. I never really liked Suedehead and Sunday being on there right after Viva Hate and they interupt the flow of the album. And great b-sides like I Know Very Well, Sister I'm A Poet, Girl Least Likely To, even Michael's Bones and East West should have been included instead. I think the following would have been much better -

Piccadilly Palare
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Interesting Drug
November Spawned A Monster
Michael's Bones
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
East West
Will Never Marry

Hairdresser On Fire
Sister I'm A Poet
Yes, I Am Blind
He Knows I'd Love To See Him
Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Girl Least Likely To
Disappointed

I do wonder why Morrissey have never included I Know Very Well How I Got My Name on any compilation. Any theories?

My favourite Moz album for numerous reasons.

I even have a "Bona Drag" Tattoo in my right arm!! I love the songs, the title... and the cover!! I remember when I've got this album. I was around 17 years old and I was fascinated by the image in the cover and that lovely photo in the back. I would play the record over and over again and lay in my bed holding that picture.

A complete masterpiece.

It's at the top of my list too. It's all I listened to when it came out. Holds a very special place in my Mozzy heart :)
It has a great opening track, a great closer and such brilliant songs in between. I don't care if it's a compliation, I adore it. And I LOVE the cover/back! :)

bona.jpg
bona-1.jpg

I think the back cover picture is just beautiful, really. :o
And I love the album. Its near the top of my most-listened-to. Hairdresser On Fire, Such A Little Thing, Lucky Lisp, Yes I Am Blind. Love 'em :)

Back
Top Bottom