Morrissey on Ian Curtis

Erik

Subscriber
Has Morrissey ever commented on Ian Curtis? I was just curious as to any connection (if any) Morrissey might have had with him or Joy Divison

i read he made some bad comments about joy division in an tv interview in the 80 ties (interviewed by tony wilson?) and some member of J.D.-then already new order member heart that and insulted him cause of that and moz storms of...

hmmmm. I've never listened to Joy Division and don't know anything about them or Ian Curtis - my sister just saw some movie about them and so I read they were from Manchester and were actually before The Smiths by a few years - from what I read about Ian - he seems a bit like Morrissey was - am I wrong?

I think i remember morrissey saying something about Ian Curtis killing himself. I can't give you a quote but i'm sure i read something he said something about him.

I dont know much about him but he comes across as a selfish tosser in the film Control... I thought he would be intelligent and witty and sensitive like Moz but he doesnt come across at all like that in the film.

yeah he was able to make great music but he was a a** privately...the film based on the book his wife wrote and well he doesnt seem to be "an ideal husband" well okay they married when they were very wrong but still,,,

I remember in an early interview that Morrissey said that he saw Joy Division just before the suicide and he, like the rest of the audience, were completely unmoved.

I haven't yet watched Control, but I did read Deborah Curtis's book a couple years ago. I didn't like the book; she seemed to be on a crusade for sympathy. Don't get me wrong, I can imagine her husband having an affair and killing himself would be awful, but it did seem engrossed in self-pity.

As for Morrissey on Ian Curtis....I haven't heard any direct quotes. I've heard Marr say that the Smiths didn't sign for a Manchester based label because they didn't want to be associated with the Joy Division Manchester scene, but that's all I really know.

Joy Division were a f***ing great band, Curtis a fantastic lyricist!!

He did seem to adopt quite an awkward, cocky personality but I think he can be allowed that given his health troubles...(Ok, I don't agree with the affair though)

I usually agree with pretty much everything Moz says but not in the case of disliking Joy Division. My Dad saw them support Buzzcocks and mentioned that on that night they made Buzzcocks looks very foolish.

Curtis' dancing was also great...you cannot take your eyes of him.

Love PTxx.

Last edited:

He did seem to adopt quite an awkward, cocky personality but I think he can be allowed that given his health troubles.

I usually agree with pretty much everything Moz says but not in the case of disliking Joy Division. My Dad saw them support Buzzcocks and mentioned that on that night they made Buzzcocks looks very foolish.

Love PTxx.

:)I totally agree with you.

hmmmm. I've never listened to Joy Division and don't know anything about them or Ian Curtis - my sister just saw some movie about them and so I read they were from Manchester and were actually before The Smiths by a few years - from what I read about Ian - he seems a bit like Morrissey was - am I wrong?

Morrissey is not like Ian Curtis. Other than some basic similarities like a love of books and a passion for music their personalities diverge on almost every point one might name.

Out of an admirable sense of respect for the dead, and probably also out of respect for what Joy Division meant to Manchester, Morrissey has always maintained silence about Ian Curtis (although he has slagged off the music of Joy Division and New Order, usually referring to it as "boring" or, when he's being nice, he says "their music never did anything for me"). In fact I would imagine that, privately, Morrissey would be as scathing about Curtis as he is about Robert Smith. Not that he'd be correct, of course-- about Ian I mean.

For those in this thread who have knocked Curtis, I won't even bother defending Ian from a depiction of him in a film, but to the point about Ian failing to live up to the image he projected in the music, his wife, ex-bandmates, and biographers all agree that Ian kept his intellectual side hidden from view. He lived a double life. Even someone like Peter Hook, who knew Ian as well as anyone, has told of his shock at his suicide because he couldn't see it coming, so convincing was Ian at making the inner turmoil he described in his lyrics seem like impersonal artistic expression and not, as some of the lyrics turned out to be, chillingly autobiographical. No one really knew Ian Curtis. We have only the lyrics to decipher for clues.

I opened this thread and I was sure I would find a link to a previous discussion we had about this, but I was wrong.

i read he made some bad comments about joy division in an tv interview in the 80 ties (interviewed by tony wilson?) and some member of J.D.-then already new order member heart that and insulted him cause of that and moz storms of...

oh this comment of the new order member on morrissey was included in these mojo/q special mag on musicians from manchester
i think it was peter hook...i will look for it and write down the part tomorrow

oh this comment of the new order member on morrissey was included in these mojo/q special mag on musicians from manchester
i think it was peter hook...i will look for it and write down the part tomorrow

Yeah, I remember that comment too although not the exact words. Hooky and everyone else in the New Order camp pretty much think Morrissey is a complete dickhead. In fact a lot of Manchester musicians seem to dislike him. The verdict is usually: yes, he's a genius, but as a person he's a real rhymes-with-bunt.

He did seem to adopt quite an awkward, cocky personality but I think he can be allowed that given his health troubles...(Ok, I don't agree with the affair though)

Love PTxx.

I was also at that gig at the Manchester Apollo and Ian Curtis had to be helped off stage during 'she's lost control'. He got right into the tune and had some sort of seizure.
As for making the Buzzcocks look very foolish. Bollocks!

I think i remember morrissey saying something about Ian Curtis killing himself. I can't give you a quote but i'm sure i read something he said something about him.

Maybe it was Morrissey's comments about Kurt Cobain you're thinking of?
I recently read it (tho too late for the Kurt Bday thread)

Q, 1995 Stuart Maconie interview

What did Kurt Cobain's suicide mean to you?

I felt sad and I felt envious. He had the courage to do it. I admire people who delf-destruct and that's not a new comment for me. They are taking control They're refusing to continue with unhappiness, which shows tremendous self-will. It must be very frightening to sit down and look at your watch and think 'In 30 minutes I will not be here'. Thinking 'I'm going to go on that stage journey.' Modern life is very presurising. We're all on the verge of hysteria."[/I]

I like what PT & Worm have to say. It's crazy not to like Ian or Joy Division. And secretly, I bet Ian/JD and Moz actually like(d) eachother.

Morrissey is not like Ian Curtis. Other than some basic similarities like a love of books and a passion for music their personalities diverge on almost every point one might name.

Out of an admirable sense of respect for the dead, and probably also out of respect for what Joy Division meant to Manchester, Morrissey has always maintained silence about Ian Curtis (although he has slagged off the music of Joy Division and New Order, usually referring to it as "boring" or, when he's being nice, he says "their music never did anything for me"). In fact I would imagine that, privately, Morrissey would be as scathing about Curtis as he is about Robert Smith. Not that he'd be correct, of course-- about Ian I mean.

For those in this thread who have knocked Curtis, I won't even bother defending Ian from a depiction of him in a film, but to the point about Ian failing to live up to the image he projected in the music, his wife, ex-bandmates, and biographers all agree that Ian kept his intellectual side hidden from view. He lived a double life. Even someone like Peter Hook, who knew Ian as well as anyone, has told of his shock at his suicide because he couldn't see it coming, so convincing was Ian at making the inner turmoil he described in his lyrics seem like impersonal artistic expression and not, as some of the lyrics turned out to be, chillingly autobiographical. No one really knew Ian Curtis. We have only the lyrics to decipher for clues.

I think the lyrics of Ian Curtis are brilliant!!
Anyway there was an article in MoJo about Joy Division, the other
band members and other friends said that he was just a 'normal
bloke', Hook said that he was "quiet and polite. Dead nice, really."

A few months before he died, he had a seizure on stage at the
Rainbow. Right after that, it happened again in West Hampstead.
It was April. On Easter Monday he went back home and tried
to kill himself with pills.

In May according to Steve Morris Curtis seemed 'content', and had
not had any bad seizures in two weeks. They dropped him off at
a Mexican restaurant on Friday night and that was the last time
they saw him, his wife found him monday morning, he had hung
himself. Bernard Sumner said he had no idea he would do that....
Steve Morris thought at first it must have been an accident.

The article also mentions that Buzzcocks show-'a Factory myth'

Anyway, great article.

I like the book Touching From a Distance because it has all of
the lyrics, including a bunch of untitled and unfinished.

Back
Top Bottom