new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

So,David Quantick is the latest public enemy number one,joining an ever growing list that includes Conor McNicholas ,Andrew Collins,Steven Wells,Billy Bragg,Paul Heaton,Tony Wilson and ,of course,Mike Joyce ?

The vitriol on here by people who have not even read the review is depressing but not unexpected.

No,Quantick is not " a hideous and vile little man" .He's actually rather tall and always seems friendly and humorous when I've seen him. He's not really a "twit,"twat","prick" but rather one of Britain's best comedy writers (spitting Image,Brass Eye,Harry Hill's TV Burp).

So what if he did say the things quoted by Uncle Skinny:they are his opinions (which he does seem to share with quite a few others).They're all just opinions.

So,all the bile and hatred over something most haven't read ?

Very very odd.

Oh,one more thing,he was one of the few journalists to write a good review of Kill Uncle

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/mozdisc1/uncle.htm

Perhaps,he just speaks his mind.

Hear, bloody hear.

I passed on the message - and a person with far more intelligence than I earlier in the thread pointed out that Paul Morley gave Ringleader 5/5, when most did not. The feelings of the reviewers will inevitably cloud their review. Why should we be surprised? And very few people have seen the review yet. Knee-jerk, yes. Surprising? No. We are what we are - fans of Morrissey.

Peter

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

So,David Quantick is the latest public enemy number one, joining an ever growing list that includes Conor McNicholas, Andrew Collins, Steven Wells, Billy Bragg, Paul Heaton, Tony Wilson and of course Mike Joyce ?

The vitriol on here by people who have not even read the review is depressing but not unexpected.

No,Quantick is not " a hideous and vile little man" .He's actually rather tall and always seems friendly and humorous when I've seen him. He's not really a "twit", "twat", "prick" but rather one of Britain's best comedy writers (spitting Image, Brass Eye, Harry Hill's TV Burp).

So what if he did say the things quoted by Uncle Skinny:they are his opinions (which he does seem to share with quite a few others). They're all just opinions.

So, all the bile and hatred over something most haven't read ?

Very very odd.

Oh,one more thing, he was one of the few journalists to write a good review of Kill Uncle

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/mozdisc1/uncle.htm

Perhaps,he just speaks his mind.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=80947

Did you notice the little bit in the Morrissey article talking about writers for the new album

I am a bit confused as all those new tracks talked about were supposed to be Alains.:confused:

That HAS to be a mistake. The BPI and Warner Chappel sites have Alain as the main writer for the new songs. Two of which we have already heard - Something Is Squeezing My Skull & Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed.

Peter

That HAS to be a mistake. The BPI and Warner Chappel sites have Alain as the main writer for the new songs. Two of which we have already heard - Something Is Squeezing My Skull & Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed.

Peter

That's what I thought after looking at that website. Journalists do make mistakes sometimes.:p

Quantick always comes across as an arrogant prick to me when he's been on telly and I've never seen him talking about Morrissey.

Sorry if that offends people who have personal knowledge of him, but then, some people will have personal knowledge of Morrissey and get offended when Quantick slags him off.

They are both public people, they both have to take people drawing conclusions from stuff they come out with on TV.

Peter

I would assume they meant that he had left the touring band "temporarily or not." I honestly think Morrissey would be hard pressed to do a session for an entire album without Alain's contributions at this point.

It's interesting to wonder if there will be significantly less touring for the next campaign, i.e., the new album. He did all this megatouring since 2006 that I would think he'd pull away a little bit and slow down next time. If there were a more limited set of dates and the album is heavily dependent on all the players, perhaps this could mark Alain's return to the live band?

Cheers,
Jamie

That Quantick 'Review' - Here It Is

While you're reading this article (from the current 'Word' magazine), bear this in mind. By the way, Flickr resizing strikes again, I hope you can read it.

2265464688_694801a8a1_b.jpg

2264674103_7b76acf826_b.jpg

Peter

Re: That Quantick 'Review' - Here It Is

While you're reading this article (from the current 'Word' magazine), bear this in mind. By the way, Flickr resizing strikes again, I hope you can read it.

2265464688_694801a8a1_b.jpg

2264674103_7b76acf826_b.jpg

Peter

thanks Peter and also thanks for the little reminder, I think that nob followed through on his threat. :mad:

Thank you very much again, Peter. :)

Shame about the article, but the photo is very nice.

What an article. Laugh after laugh after unintentional laugh. Followed by a yawn. This article will be tomorrow's chip paper, Quantick will make himself thousands of enemies and Moz will carry on guzzling champagne, playing concerts and buying Gucci shirts by the shedload wherever he happens to be in the world. Hardly something to get aggravated over.

Hmmmm. He really needed to let that out, didn't he?

I wonder what else troubles him quite as much as Morrissey.

That's a really funny article. :D

Surely if they want to do a hatchet job on Moz they should have asked someone who can write well? There must be a good writer out there somewhere who hates Morrissey surely? :p

i think this twat is after being made famous in one of morrisseys songs, i think hanging is to good for this bitter sad wanker .. f*** him

It is impossible to read this type of objective journalism . Which is the school of the British journalism? To read an article with so much love or hatred on someone, this removes objectivity, it is not possible read because, the journalist does not leave of side his feelings to write , this not allow that I should form my own opinion, he to impose his thoughts not deservedly with feeling and passion. This supposition " power fourth" they are become discredited, they cannot decide when a this dead person but only to commit his own journalistic suicide

I was listening to Greatest Hits while reading the article. It's a good compilation for a new fan, like me. It's an introduction to his latest body of work. While it may not be on the same level as The Smiths it isn't as dreadful as the writer makes it out to be. Too many critics forget to do what is necessary, just simply listen to the music.

My opinion of the article?
sFun_blahblahbig.gif

Last edited:

I thought the "chicken in a basket" metaphor was especially awful. Considering.

OUCH! A lot of that article gets a bit too near the truth....

Thanks for scanning, Peter

Thank you very much for scanning it. I was expecting something worse to be honest.:rolleyes:
This article is so full of bias that it's almost funny.:rolleyes:

While you're reading this article (from the current 'Word' magazine), bear
Peter

I stopped reading this after the first paragraph. Was Morrissey supposed to write about the awkwardness of teenage life forever? Yes, he came to fame singing about this theme, but time waits for no man. Get over it! If you go into your review expecting to hear "Rushmole Ruffians" in Morrissey's recent works (which the reviewer seems to expect), then yes I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

The irony of course, is that all the songs in on Greatest Hits achieved very respectable chart positions, something The Smiths rarely achieved.

If you want to convince someone of your point of view the best way to do it is at least show the appearance of being able to see both sides.

I think the man is just full of hatred and needed a rant. I'm sure there will be people queuing up to agree with him on the main page of this site though, as they always do. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom