new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

I went to buy this magazine today.The price was $14.75.That is Crazy,i decided not to buy it.

I think that was a wise business decision. Word is OK, I guess as music magazines go. Perhaps it was editorial decision to provide a point/counterpoint piece, because the month before contained a insightful piece of music journalist reminiscing about their Morrissey moments as and interview subject.

What pissed me off was his assertion that Morrissey voice is "monotone". That's an old, old criticism harking from the days of the Smiths first album and one that hasn't been repeated since until Quadnick's piece. That's a hell of a time span. In all fairness, Morrissey didnt' sound that much different from many other post-punk singer around that time and any "monotone" characteristics in his singing style pretty much had dissipated with the release of "The Queen is Dead", where he gives two of the greatest vocal performances with the Smiths; "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" and "Had No One Ever".

Morrissey is not Freddy Mercury, but he does have a natural melodic voice that has only gotten stronger and soaring in nature. Quadnick would never admit that and his other criticisms had less to do with the music and more to do with Morrissey's character. It was just an odd and vindictive "review."

I recommend the March issue of MOJO, which should be out by you soon. It was $9.50 by me on the east coast. It shouldn't be that much more from where you are.

Last edited:
Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

In view of the current Court of Appeal case, where a restaurant is trying to sue for libel for a bad review (see link below), does this mean that Moz should consider doing the same?

As an earlier post put it, it wasn't a review, it was character assasination. I think that the current trial (or court case) has said that, if a review is malicious, then that could constitute libel. It did seem to many in this thread (and I'd go along with it) that the review was just a vehicle for the author to vent his spleen on the whole of Moz's career/life.

I'm not serious, by the way - on whether or not Moz should follow suit. For the record, though, even if he could, such a move would cause more opprobrium in his direction, don't you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7286498.stm

Ummm, I think David Quantick is a bit funny. (Hey, don't hit me. Owww! :p)

Anyhow, I was listening to Quantick's "Blagger's Guide to Classical Music" the other day. Sure enough, while discussing Beethoven he had to get a little dig in, calling Moz "Idiot Boy" for the title of "Beethoven Was Deaf".

I don't know, Quanitck is so venomous about Moz, it's almost personal. I wonder if he put him on such a high pedestal at some point that he had to be disappointed by his humanity. If you don't like someone's music you generally don't get that passionate and worked up about it.

"The Word's fifth birthday edition, this issue contains one piece of writing so invigoratingly impassioned and astute that it justifies the existence of the whole magazine. The article concerned is an all-out frontal assault on the aesthetic and ethical shortcomings of Morrissey's latest Greatest Hits."

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/observermusic/2008/03/inky_fingers_2.html

Now, I will only ever buy this publication when it has a Morrissey interview in it. Why? Because I wrote to them regarding this article and they never bothered to reply. As a consumer, I feel I have no other choice left. They can ignore me and my money. Yeah, I know they are hardly going to collapse by my action but the principle matters. At least to me it does.

Hello,
in the current issue of Word mag, there is a letter (or a mail) of a guy from Reading whose name is John Green I think, and he defends Morrissey.
I haven't bought the mag, but he asks the journalist how many British singers have been the leader of a band and have after that succeeded in a solo carreer for 20 years, selling out many venues...He asks what s' the problem with not liking rap or reggae, and he says that as to immigration, Morrissey has the courage to say what he thinks. (Something like that).:)

Back
Top Bottom