new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

It could be that he genuinely dislikes Moz's art. I doubt anyone could call "Ringleader" him at his absolute best : its fair to say that Moz does seem creatively in a bit of a rut at the moment. I find the whole racism issue very boring to constantly keep exhuming. Aside from that though, the whole hes-attacking-Moz-because-he's-a-hater/ugly/etc is just a lazy patronising bullshit argument.

Do I dislike the music I dislike because I'm an ugly hater? No, its because the music is, in my eyes, rubbish. And it could be that DQ feels the same way about Moz's music currently. Big deal. Get over it. Moz isnt losing any sleep because of this.

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

I read the article. It's harsh, but it's honest, and to be fair, he does raise some incredibly valid points. Once upon a time, Morrissey TRULY DID stand for "outsiders" (define them for me, if you can), but now, we find ourselves at the stage where the likes of DAVID f***ING CAMERON can express love for The Moz (has he not listened to 'Margaret On The Guillotine'? He definitely hasn't watched the promo vid for 'Interesting Drug', with its anti-Tory graffitti at the start. Having seen him on 'Newsnight' once when questioned on his "love" of the Smiths, this wouldn't surprise me at all). How has this come to pass?
While there was clearly a cynical, ham-fisted, attempt at a stitch-up by the NME last year, Quantick has clearly done his homework and like it or not, pointed out things that a lot of Moz-heads (myself included) do feel uncomfortable about (past comments on immigration were frankly, ill-judged, if we're truly honest with ourselves, given that Morrissey doesn't live in the UK anymore). The venom directed towards Quantick plays right into his hands and justifies the prevailing attitude that Moz-haters have towards Morrissey and his fans. READ BETWEEN THE LINES, Y'ALL!

Last edited:

unfortunately in music you have to evolve and you can't stay in the same place

can you pass that on to morrissey's management, a.s.a.p.? cheers.

I read the article. It's harsh, but it's honest, and to be fair, he does raise some incredibly valid points. Once upon a time, Morrissey TRULY DID stand for "outsiders" (define them for me, if you can), but now, we find ourselves at the stage where the likes of DAVID f***ING CAMERON can express love for The Moz (has he not listened to 'Margaret On The Guillotine'? He definitely hasn't watched the promo vid for 'Interesting Drug', with its anti-Tory graffitti at the start. Having seen him on 'Newsnight' once when questioned on his "love" of the Smiths, this wouldn't surprise me at all). How has this come to pass?

Didn't you just answer your own question? Cameron, for some reason, has not really understood Morrissey's music.

Is Morrissey not singing for outsiders? Let's look at Ringleader Of The Tormentors and a few other recent songs.

"The Father Who Must Be Killed" sides with an abused stepchild. "Ganglord" with outlaws. "I Will See You In Far Off Places" empathizes with innocent Middle Easterners caught up in a war. "I'll Never Be Anyone's Hero" now is written from the point of view of an outsider ("Warm lights from the grand houses blind me/Haves cannot stand Have-nots").

"On The Streets I Ran" is about guilt over betraying his working class roots, singing of "streets of wet black holes" that always "have you" no matter how much money you make among "friends" who aren't really friends. "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" got the refrain "There is no such thing as normal" into the upper reaches of the pop charts.

"Song From Under The Floorboards" is Magazine's remake of the prototypical modern outsider, Dostoevsky's Underground Man. "Slum Mums" takes the side of welfare mothers mistreated by the state. "Teenage Dad On His Estate" mocks the middle class and (albeit somewhat ironically) sides with the "boy with the methadone grin". "That's How People Grow Up" is practically an anthem for those excluded from love.

Most of Ringleader of the Tormentors is clearly and poignantly written from the standpoint of a man on the fringes of society, a few steps beyond conventionality.

Of the new songs, "Mama Lay Softly In The Riverbed" empathizes with a "Mama" who was victimized by "uncivil servants", "pigs in grey suits", and "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" is an upbeat rocker written about a sufferer hooked on various "behavioral modifying" drugs!

This is all recent material, and the songs I didn't mention, again, by virtue of being Morrissey songs, pretty much bleed outsiderness. (I didn't even bother going back a year or two further for songs like "Mexico", championing "a small voice", or "America Is Not The World", with its line about the President never being "black, female or gay".) I'm sorry, but Quantick-- who has clearly not done his homework-- and anyone else who says Morrissey has turned his back on outcasts need their heads checked. The idea is a farce, all the more so because people saying he's turned his back on his former ideals are usually the same ones moaning about how he hasn't changed in twenty years.

Last edited:

yep and if you were to do a similar dissection of the lyrics to the Smiths first album of 25 years ago you would see a very similar outsider based point of view. He hasnt changed, he hasnt mellowed, he hasnt sold out and he hasnt compromised. Some people dont know credibility and artistic merit even when it smashes them square on the face.

I think some people have a vested interest in believing Morrissey to have "sold out" and to be only interested in the money these days. It probably validates the compromises in life they have made for money and perhaps they are secretly ashamed of.

I think some people have a vested interest in believing Morrissey to have "sold out" and to be only interested in the money these days. It probably validates the compromises in life they have made for money and perhaps they are secretly ashamed of.

I think it's probably more likely that they think his music has become dull, repetitive shite.

Just a thought.

There's hyperbole and hyperbole. I'd hardly qualify this as the most withering attack on Morrissey to appear in print. And lets face it making Daily Mail reader like comments about immigration without really being provoked... "It Wasn't Like The Old Days Anymore."

I remember Barbara Ellen (premier Observer columnist nowadays and I still would!) reviewing the Smiths Best Of 1 or whatever it was called (back in 1992 when WEA bought the rights to the Smiths records and released the Best Of monstrosities) in the NME and giving it a zero cos she detested Morrissey so much. Nothing about the quality of the music just an ott attack on Morrissey.

Quantick has a point. And The Smiths Best Of 1 has at least 10 better tracks than this Greatest Hits rip-off.

I've been doing a bit of googling. This is nowhere near the most vicious attack on Sven Mograssy, there are loads of other examples out there. Loads.

I remember Barbara Ellen (premier Observer columnist nowadays and I still would!) reviewing the Smiths Best Of 1 or whatever it was called (back in 1992 when WEA bought the rights to the Smiths records and released the Best Of monstrosities) in the NME and giving it a zero cos she detested Morrissey so much. Nothing about the quality of the music just an ott attack on Morrissey.

You still would what son? .try to be more specific please.

Now where is griff,makes mental note to look for threads with most schoolboy grammatical errors.

I've been doing a bit of googling. This is nowhere near the most vicious attack on Sven Mograssy, there are loads of other examples out there. Loads.

you could start your own website - hatemorrissey-solo.com and post them all there. Might take up alot of your time though.

You might take the article more seriously if this Quantick character didnt look so much like a kiddie fiddler in his pic.
Those who can do, those who cant write reviews.
He's obviously got an axe to grind. Maybe he was refused an interview once. And as for all the tired old 'racist' crap at the end of the review, its right-on liberal bollocks. Arselicking to the black editor of a magazine he'd like to write for perhaps?

Just doing a bit of Sunday afternoon tv hopping and came across Celebrity Come Dine with Me. Who should be mugging for the camera along with the other Z-listers but Mr Quantick himself. So far I don't think he's said one positive thing about anyone.

Who cares what he has written, i know i dont.

I read this review in the shop.

As usual, i will post the definitve response on this - Quantick is a total c***, an abhorrent little twat who has one of those faces you just want to smack.

I sincerely hope this review garners him abuse on the street & hopefully a heavy beating - i honestly wish hospitalisation on him, maybe even permanent disability.

He deserves it, the little f***ing arsehole.

Man people get so worked up over one person's opinion, i dont wish anything bad upon him or anyone else who happens to not like or write anything bad about Morrissey.Everyone is entitled to there opinon.

I went to buy this magazine today.The price was $14.75.That is Crazy,i decided not to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom