new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

OUCH! A lot of that article gets a bit too near the truth....

Thanks for scanning, Peter

indeed.

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

Email sent to Editor.

you give me faith that democracy is not dead.

it's important to speak up for rich celebrities.

keep the faith.

Objectivity is important for news reporting.
Reviews, editorials. critiques should be subjective.

Nevertheless, this guys comes across as a twit. Why on earth would he compare _You Have Killed Me_ to _This Charming Man_, songs set 20 years apart? Of course they sound differently and have a different appeal.

Sadly this into a review of Morrissey's personality. How is that relevant to his music? And how are Morrissey's statements regarding immigration relevant? Moron.

Hmm so it's racist to dislike reggae? The very fact that people assume Morrissey is racist because he thinks Reggae is vile is stupidity beyond belief. it's also more likely, that the reggae comment was tongue in cheek or taken out of context in the interview, as covering Redondo, would suggest so. Also regarding Morrissey latest comments on immigration, it was hardly an attack. Rather, it was more of resigned comment on the loss of one's past, in which he ackowledges that he himself is a immigrant, and likes to travel, to explore. The author harks back to the days of the Smiths, yet Morrissey himself was much more insular, disliking travelling to other countries for gigs, and genuinely believe that England was the best place on earth. He cites the flag waving. I hope he crucifies Noel Gallagher and Geri Halliwell then for being NF sympathisers. True, this was done in the context of a backdrop of skinheads (which actually comes from the non racist Ska movement of the early 80s), but this doesn't make Moz a racist. He sings about outsider-dom, and fervent racist groups have this element - it exist in its own little bubble outside of mainstream society. If an artist comments on it, or makes a piece of art depicting this world, it does not make him / her a believer of that group core values.

My humble contribution:

Subject: questions to David Quantocks

Regarding his 'review' of Morrissey's Greatest Hits:

Was that a review of Morrissey's album or a review of Morrissey's personality?
How is that relevant to the quality of his music?
How are Morrissey's statements regarding immigration relevant?

Good enough for an editorial, but pretty daft for a review.

He sings about outsider-dom, and fervent racist groups have this element - it exist in its own little bubble outside of mainstream society. If an artist comments on it, or makes a piece of art depicting this world, it does not make him / her a believer of that group core values.

Of course you are absolutely right :D - why don't they call film directors racist or peadophiles or serial killers, or whatever -everytime a movie is done from the point of view of those characters? :rolleyes:

Anyway,my take on this article is:

1- the man hates Moz and had to get it out of his chest,because Moz just doesn't go away! :D
2- it must be really hard for him to realise that Moz is still getting new fans and is still relevant after all these years, whether he likes it or NOT! :p
3- the fact that he wrote such a "review" in 2008 proves points #1 & #2
4- Moz is beyond all that!! I suspect he knows it too -poor guy :D

so, the (highly acclaimed) two recent albuns are terrible heh?? wow!! I suppose the Critics had temporarily deafness then- eh,eh,eh thanks for the scan, I had fun reading it ! :D

I'm sure people will say that I'm trolling but I promise you I'm not, I've just finished the article and I have to say I think it was accurate, well written and funny. What does he say that's incorrect? Nothing. It's the guy's opinion (which broadly speaking, I share) and claiming to "hate him" as a result of his opinion on a pop star is f***ing retarded.

Also, to the person who so proudly claimed to have complained to the editor, what on earth did you say in you email and had you actually read the article at the point you complained? If not, you're idiot.

I've just finished the article and I have to say I think it was accurate, well written and funny. What does he say that's incorrect? Nothing. It's the guy's opinion (which broadly speaking, I share).

Really? If I agreed with the author of this review I wouldn´t be here at all because Moz and his art would mean nothing to me.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Really? If I agreed with the author of this review I wouldn´t be here at all because Moz and his art would mean nothing to me.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just sharing my opinion.

No problem, I won't take it the wrong way, I think Morrissey has written some very good songs in the past it's just a shame that very few of them are included on this cd. The Smiths are one of the best bands in history, but increasingly Morrisey's output is getting weaker and weaker, he's become a boring impersonation of himself and his increasingly ridiculous politcal opinions are repulsive.

I just come here for the lively chat.

I'm 22. you are the quarry was my introduction to morrissey. unlike the writer of this review, i'm not steeped in the past that is the smiths. i see morrissey and the smiths as completely seperate. morrissey is not the smiths. morrissey was the smiths.... 20 years ago. why these arrogant, middle-aged reviewers feel desperate to compare his material with albums released twenty years ago is beyond me. let it go. if morrissey and marr had written all the solo stuf, make the comparison. but they don't.

First of the gand to die
irish blood, english heart
all you need is me

if you can't see the true quality of these songs, you shouldn't be reviewing music for a living. and to use a review as an excuse to slag someone that you dislike personally is unprofessional and self absorbed.

Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I were better than ROTT.
Southpaw, Maladjusted and Kill Uncle were worse than ROTT.
YATQ is a five star album in its own right.

If you can't review an album/compilation honestly and fairly, son't touch your keyboard. And, for the record, all morrissey fans are NOT deluded, and obsessive. Some of us just like good songs and good gigs.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's everyone!

Last edited:

Oh, OK then.

I'm 22. you are the quarry was my introduction to morrissey. unlike the writer of this review, i'm not steeped in the past that is the smiths.

First of the gand to die
irish blood, english heart
all you need is me

if you can't see the true quality of these songs, you shouldn't be reviewing music for a living. and to use a review as an excuse to slag someone that you dislike personally is unprofessional and self absorbed.

Absolutely!! I agree 100% :D

The whole thing is such a Cliché... the truth is that he has some great songs - past & present. I don't particularly like the current single but all you need is me and specially the new songs (skull and mama) are great! I know a couple of kids who feel in love with Moz through YATQ and/or ROTT - their age? 15, 16 and 18 - :)

No problem, I won't take it the wrong way, I think Morrissey has written some very good songs in the past it's just a shame that very few of them are included on this cd. The Smiths are one of the best bands in history, but increasingly Morrisey's output is getting weaker and weaker, he's become a boring impersonation of himself and his increasingly ridiculous politcal opinions are repulsive.

So, you think his public backing for Obama is ridiculous and repulsive? I guess you must be a Billary man.

As regards to the actual music review, people have to remember that the last two albums have scored very well in terms of single chart positions, and given the long career, most of his earlier hits feature on alternative 'Best of' compliations. It is Greatest hits after all. Since 1984, for him to have remain consistent in producing good, at times great music, is the best testimony I can give. People moan and groan about his solo work, yet I can easily name a hell of lot of great solo songs to compare to Smiths stuff, albeit it over a longer time frame and less intense than the Smith (due to Marr decision to break up the band). As for latest 'Gems', I would happily included Life is a Pigsty, I will see you in far off places, Something is squeezing my skull, Dear God, Let me kiss you, and IBEH as genuine highpoints. Greatest hits may not be as 'good' as World of nor My early burglary years etc, but they have already been done. Imagine the up roar on here if half of Greatest Hits was a split between 'Best of Morrissey (american release) and half of Suedehead: Best of? Of course it's a cash in, Decca want their pound of flesh and are quite happy to flog his Arse an'all for a quick buck. I may or may not buy this album, I haven't decided yet, however, for the reviewer to say he remembers the Smiths, stones, Pixies etc, well, to be honest, in my biased opinion, only Morrissey comes close to being a relevant artist within his own right today in 2008. Much more so than Frank Black or Ian Brown.

Last edited:

So, you think his public backing for Obama is ridiculous and repulsive? I guess you must be a Billary man.

No, that's not what I find ridiculous and repulsive, it's his comments about Britain losing it's identity because of all the immigrants that are "flooding in", that I find ridiculous and offensive. I don't know enough about Obama or Hillary Clinton to have an opinion, I am not American and therefore cannot vote for either of them and as a result I have, shamefully, paid very little attention.

I'm from a place called England, you might have heard of it, it's near Italy.

No, that's not what I find ridiculous and repulsive, it's his comments about Britain losing it's identity because of all the immigrants that are "flooding in", that I find ridiculous and offensive. I don't know enough about Obama or Hillary Clinton to have an opinion, I am not American and therefore cannot vote for either of them and as a result I have, shamefully, paid very little attention.

yes, let's bring it back to racism, shall we.

Immigrants are flooding in to Britain, and will continue to do so. it's not like he's lying. and it does change the country of the culture. this is also truth.

I don't think this is a bad thing - f***, the amount of scummy things our nation has done in history, we should start being less selfish. BUT, what he said (if he did actually say that, remember please), is truthful. And has 0% to do with his music, or the greatest hits album, and review of it that is under discussion.

sheesh!

the only truly bad thing about the compilation is that all you need is me wasn't the lead single. that song is amazing. Amazing!

I think his opinion on Obama is important, as his comments on immigration (in context or not, writ pending) were constructed as racist. The fact that Obama is black shouldn't be an issue, but it is. If elected as democrat candidate, and subsequently president, it would be a big thing. Surely this lays to rest the racist issue? Or is he purely paying lip-service, and secretly hoping Billary wins? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. I didn't agree with the Love music, hate Racism campaign that was circulating around - I think such movements are idiotic. His comments on immigration wasn't that ridiculous neither as it's a logical effect on mass immigration, in that certain areas cultural identity will shift. It's not the only factor, as global media and economic globalisation can have just a profound affect too. I do believe that Morrissey was wrong in saying that England has completely lost it cultural identity, as it's still there, you just have to look for it, that's all, or you do if you live in London. There are still lots of places in england that are unmistakenly english. Whether Morrissey is right or wrong on the actual amount of people 'flooding' in, is another issue, but he is right that unchecked immigration on an area will change it cultural identity, whether it be detrimental or an improvement. We have seen this already in the 60s, 70s, and 80s when mass movement from the West indies and other colonies occured. The word flooding was earmarked as the language of Powell, and of course it is. However, should we mark that word as taboo forever? Morrissey may have intentionally used that word in relation to immigration, in a way to reclaim it from the grasp of the NF / BNP. But rather discuss it in a sensible way, the NME shout Racist (more or less so, although they claim they didn't, just that it was inflammatory - besides if Morrissey's comments do cause panic and race riots all over London, Carlisle and Humberside, at least it would get him more airtime and hopefully a subsequent number one hit single). I live in England too and they have great Pizzarias.

yes, let's bring it back to racism, shall we.

Immigrants are flooding in to Britain, and will continue to do so. it's not like he's lying. and it does change the country of the culture. this is also truth.

I don't think this is a bad thing - f***, the amount of scummy things our nation has done in history, we should start being less selfish. BUT, what he said (if he did actually say that, remember please), is truthful. And has 0% to do with his music, or the greatest hits album, and review of it that is under discussion.

sheesh!

the only truly bad thing about the compilation is that all you need is me wasn't the lead single. that song is amazing. Amazing!

You're right, it has very little to do with the quality of his music, but it a a consideration, I don't want to line the pockets of an ill informed rascist. He's one of those immigrants lets remember, and please don't try and excuse what he said by claiming that it was factually accurate, he was saying that the British identity is being diluted as a result, he was saying that this is a bad thing. He was acting like a daft racist and it's a bit embarassing that people are trying to defend that.

I think that the collection of songs on this cd is weak and that the majority of his recent output has been cliched, derivative shite, but regardless of that the moral quandry is whether or not you want to give money to somebody who you consider morally retarded.

Last edited:

The word flooding was earmarked as the language of Powell, and of course it is. However, should we mark that word as taboo forever? Morrissey may have intentionally used that word in relation to immigration, in a way to reclaim it from the grasp of the NF / BNP.

Grasping at straws much?

Back
Top Bottom