Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Re: Strange / Unexpected references

In the latest season of the brilliant The Thick Of It; Ollie is in hospital after having his appendix out when Malcolm Tucker walks in to which Ollie proclaims "Oh look its the scary Morrissey."

I think you're missing out the fact that Tucker was carrying a bunch of flowers with him at the time, hence the comparison... Just some context for anyone wondering.

Heard "Do Your best and Dont Worry" during the 7-inning stretch of a Cubs baseball game. harry carry's relative announcer whatevr even said who was singing. weird huh.

Re: Strange / Unexpected references

I think you're missing out the fact that Tucker was carrying a bunch of flowers with him at the time, hence the comparison... Just some context for anyone wondering.

Ah yeah I got that bit, but just forgot to add it here haha thankyou.
Wonderful touch that Tucker didn't even leave the flowers, he took them with him

On the channel guide for my cable TV provider, the high definition version of The Smithsonian Channel is labeled "Smiths HD".

Heard "Do Your best and Dont Worry" during the 7-inning stretch of a Cubs baseball game. harry carry's relative announcer whatevr even said who was singing. weird huh.

Baseball is on vacation now. Was this awhile ago? :squiffy:

This morning BBC 6 Music Breakfast show with Shawn Keavney featured Billy Duffy interview who talks about how he got to know Morrissey.

You can listen again from iPlayer 1:40.

Last edited:
Tonight's University Challenge's music round featured William, it was really nothing.

Contestant (Pembroke College, Cambridge) knew the answer. :)

Bit of advance notice for some Morrissey references in a new book...

Last week I went to an event at Manchester Art Gallery where Paul Morley talked about his new, as yet unpublished, book 'The North: (And Almost Everything In It)'. In the Q&A at the end he was asked if the book was finished or whether he was still tinkering with it, he said it was ready, as long as Morrissey doesn't ask for some references to be removed....

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/paul+morley/the+north/9447556/

Dave

In the new issue of 'Esquire' magazine (UK edition ~ Jack White cover star) as part of their 'Music Issue' they ask 20 celebrated musicians to select one criminally underrated album by another artist that they recommend everyone should own. Immediately.

Cutie-pie Killer Brandon Flowers offers the following ~

" 'Maladjusted' by Morrissey (1997, Island) ~ Morrissey made a comeback with his album 'You are the Quarry', but for me the album that came before it, 'Maladjusted', was Morrissey at his best. It was the soundtrack to me becoming 16 and getting a car - the album was on heavy rotation on the stereo. A few months later in 1997, I saw Morrissey on Halloween in Salt Lake City, and it was incredible. He previewed songs from '..Quarry', but for me the highlights were the songs he played from 'Maladjusted'. I stood right there, you know, to songs like 'Alma Matters', 'Trouble Loves Me', and 'Roy's Keen'. 'Trouble Loves Me' is such a perfect pop song, and quintessentially Morrissey. I remember doing interviews when I was young; pop became such a dirty word. We should never be ashamed of a great pop record "

Words to live by indeed.

The fact that Flowers loves 'Roy's Keen'... it just makes me happy today to know that. I'm not alone :crazy:

Elsewhere Johnny Marr selects 'Burning Blue Soul' by The The.

And Boy George, who bows to no man in his love and worship for 'Maladjusted' (his favourite Morrissey LP), selects 'Baltimore' by Miss Nina Simone.

In the new issue of 'Esquire' magazine (UK edition ~ Jack White cover star) as part of their 'Music Issue' they ask 20 celebrated musicians to select one criminally underrated album by another artist that they recommend everyone should own. Immediately.

Cutie-pie Killer Brandon Flowers offers the following ~

" 'Maladjusted' by Morrissey (1997, Island) ~ Morrissey made a comeback with his album 'You are the Quarry', but for me the album that came before it, 'Maladjusted', was Morrissey at his best. It was the soundtrack to me becoming 16 and getting a car - the album was on heavy rotation on the stereo. A few months later in 1997, I saw Morrissey on Halloween in Salt Lake City, and it was incredible. He previewed songs from '..Quarry', but for me the highlights were the songs he played from 'Maladjusted'. I stood right there, you know, to songs like 'Alma Matters', 'Trouble Loves Me', and 'Roy's Keen'. 'Trouble Loves Me' is such a perfect pop song, and quintessentially Morrissey. I remember doing interviews when I was young; pop became such a dirty word. We should never be ashamed of a great pop record "

Words to live by indeed.

The fact that Flowers loves 'Roy's Keen'... it just makes me happy today to know that. I'm not alone :crazy:

Elsewhere Johnny Marr selects 'Burning Blue Soul' by The The.

And Boy George, who bows to no man in his love and worship for 'Maladjusted' (his favourite Morrissey LP), selects 'Baltimore' by Miss Nina Simone.

Awww, what the editor was doing?

Burning Blue Soul is released under Matt Johnson solo, not TheThe.

Last edited:
Dermont O'Leary just made a Smiths reference on the X-Factor finals. He was talking about how they're live in Manchester before finishing with the line, "Manchester... So much to answer for."

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom