Smyths January Shows: New Cross, Hartlepool, Oldham

Smythssinger

Morrissey/Smiths tribute The Smyths play the following three shows this month:

Friday 18th January - NEW CROSS, The Venue
(2a Clifton Rise, New Cross, London SE14 6JP)

Saturday 26th January - HARTLEPOOL, The Studio
(Tower Street, Hartlepool, Cleveland, TS24 7HQ)
www.studiohartlepool.com
The band will play TWO sets for this show

Sunday 27th January - OLDHAM, The Castle
(38 Union Street, Oldham, Lancashire OL1 1DJ)
www.castleoldham.com
The band will play TWO sets for this show

For details on all Smyths show please visit www.thesmyths.net

Stay Handsome.

You would have the only show in my vicinity clashing with the Moz gigs wouldn't you. *SIGH*

Sort out some Manchester shows, Graham. I miss you. (Not just you, The Smyths I mean.)

Aziza x

You would have the only show in my vicinity clashing with the Moz gigs wouldn't you. *SIGH*

Sort out some Manchester shows, Graham. I miss you. (Not just you, The Smyths I mean.)

Aziza x

I live halfway between Manchester and Oldham so it's fine for me..... apart from today I decided to go to the London Sunday gig as I need to be in London first thing Monday morning and it would be cheaper to buy a train ticket for the Sunday + gig ticket and a hotel than to buy a train ticket for the Monday morning:eek:

Still, The Smyths are a good option for those not going to London but in need of a fix, get yourself on the 82 bus from Piccadilly to Oldham!

Jukebox Jury on his new broadband laptop:cool:

Last edited:
Choice of venue needs looking at. I went to the show in Bolton last year. No more than 30 people there to see it which whilst the set and band were great, there were not enough people there to see it. Oldham is pretty much the same for me - Difficult to get to and more importantly back from on a Sunday night from where I live without driving which I really wouldn';t want to do.

I am sure a Friday or Saturday in Central Manc would be sold out. What about the S & G? That place must hold 150 or so upstairs.

I am sure a Friday or Saturday in Central Manc would be sold out. What about the S & G? That place must hold 150 or so upstairs.

S&G's no good, they have a strict no-tribute band policy, apparently.

I was at the Bolton gig too, I know what you mean... the one in Birkenhead was probably even emptier. Yet every time I've seen them play in London the venues have been completely rammed.

I remember seeing The Other Smiths (shudder) at the Bury Town Hall back when I first moved to Manchester. Was full, good crowd and plenty of stage invaders - similar venues in other Manc towns might be worth a look?

"I was at the Bolton gig too, I know what you mean... the one in Birkenhead was probably even emptier. Yet every time I've seen them play in London the venues have been completely rammed."

Bolton's Soundhouse was a nightmare. Basically we had a promoter there who did not publicise the show and so with little or no word out there we ended up with a handful of people. Thanks to all who came nonetheless.

As for the Birkenhead show you were at (Pacific Road) - there was 180 people there! As the venue in question was very very big it made what's a good number for many venues seem small. We later played Hotel California in Birkenhead and the venue and crowd was a good fit.

We should be announcing a Manchester show this year. Our previous two shows at The Castle in Oldham have been rammed.

A good venue, like the band, gets the word out. A bad venue only comes to light on the day of the gig. Those venues that we return to time and again do the job of promoting well and the crowd follows.

Graham - The Smyths

As for the Birkenhead show you were at (Pacific Road) - there was 180 people there! As the venue in question was very very big it made what's a good number for many venues seem small.

Oops, sorry Graham. It seemed like a lot less but yeah thinking back that was probably to do with the size of the venue. I'm sure not many of us were down the front.

Incidentally myself and all my pals who attended the Bolton gig enjoyed it enormously, despite the emptiness (and having to leave before the end to catch the last train).

We should be announcing a Manchester show this year. Our previous two shows at The Castle in Oldham have been rammed.

Hooray, can't wait! x

I shall be at The Castle, easy bus for me from Failsworth.:)

I think one of the problems is a bit of an overkill.
I mean I've not seen The Smyths yet, but in December I saw The Other Smiths at the Academy for the first time.
Then there is the star and garter and there's another Morrissey and Smiths night on somewhere else in the city centre.
And Morrissey in London next week.... it all just adds up and I cant afford them all.:tears:

I think one of the problems is a bit of an overkill.
I mean I've not seen The Smyths yet, but in December I saw The Other Smiths at the Academy for the first time.
Then there is the star and garter and there's another Morrissey and Smiths night on somewhere else in the city centre.
And Morrissey in London next week.... it all just adds up and I cant afford them all.:tears:

This is what I love about living in Manchester (apart from the Moz gigs being in London bit). No such things as Moz/Smiths overkill when you've moved to Manc from elsewhere e.g. down South. Best decision I've ever made, along with changing my surname by deed poll.

PS. Are you the Raymond Marks? Could've sworn you were fictional.

Back
Top Bottom