first job

morrisseychic

Seasick Yet Still Docked
My first job was at The Gap , I was 16 ( I was a Gap Girl)
SNL20Chris20Farley20-20The20Gap20Gi.jpg

Last edited:
Heh
12-14 Delivered newspapers
14 - 20 Custodial / Maintenance / Handyman of Church / Schools
14 - 16 Lifeguard
17 - 20 Retail / Training for Disney
19 - 19 Cook at McDonalds
20 - 23 Retail / Sold Shoes (Mad money was made)
23 - Present - Teaching

Point... I have held down many jobs doing various things.

My first...and sadly, my best to date, job was when I was 16 at Jim Hanley's Universe comic book store in Staten Island, right around the corner of my house.
Jim-Hanleys-Universe.jpg

It was really relaxed, you could play music, chat with people and read comics all day long.
They also had a policy that workers could *ahem* borrow new arrivals as well as the older, more pricey back issues from the basement to bring home and read. All you had to do to bring the books home was write down what you were leaving the store with and check it off when you returned. Um...we left that last part out.:D:o:p

In case anyone from JHU is reading this..I was just kidding about the last part. :rolleyes:

pre-16: newspaper delivery
16 & 17: summer camp counselor
16: busboy at a Greek restaurant
16-19: drug store clerk
18-20: dormitory food service lackey
21-23: pizza deliverer (awesomest.job.evar)
22-24: Latin teacher
24-26: Web site designer/book proofreader
24-25: computer tech support supervisor
25-34: various techie jobs
34-present: SoLow junkie

My first job (I was 15) was dressing people like you see below, before they had their picture taken. It was a summer job. It was very hectic especially if there were large families (grandparents, couple of their kids+partners, screaming grandkids...)
It wasn't easy for the photographers either, they had to make sure everybody was smiling and looking into the camera. :D

I washed dishes in a pub.

McDonalds, Budapest, Western Railway Station. I was 16 (clumsy and shy, sorry). It was a crap job but I don't mind having it done cause now I can appreciate everything else. :rolleyes:

url

16-17 I was a receptionist at an old folks home for the memory impaired.
Once, one of the old people snuck out without me knowing. She thought it was 1965 and she had to get the train home to see her family. When she was returned, and I discovered what happened I got so upset I started having a panic attack, hyperventilated, and almost had to be hospitalized.

I quit the next day.

That's a McDonalds?!?

Here on Long Island there is a McDonalds in New Hyde Park. We referred to it as McDonalds on the Green as it was built into a "historic landmark" house that dated back to the early 1800's. It is a beautiful house...when I get home I will try to find a picture of it online if you have not already by then.

Here on Long Island there is a McDonalds in New Hyde Park. We referred to it as McDonalds on the Green as it was built into a "historic landmark" house that dated back to the early 1800's. It is a beautiful house...when I get home I will try to find a picture of it online if you have not already by then.

Of course, you said 'picture' so I took that as a personal challenge cuz I'm sick like that. haha :o:D
Here's all I could find:
There's the colonial McDonald's in New Hyde Park, NY (on Long Island). The landmark commission wouldn't let them tear down the historic mansion they purchased, so they restored the outside and converted the inside to a fast food restaurant

Last edited:
Archaeologist. A digger upperer of old crap in other words.

Of course, you said 'picture' so I took that as a personal challenge cuz I'm sick like that. haha :o:D
Here's all I could find:
There's the colonial McDonald's in New Hyde Park, NY (on Long Island). The landmark commission wouldn't let them tear down the historic mansion they purchased, so they restored the outside and converted the inside to a fast food restaurant

It looks lovely. :) How come they allowed that the sign is not red?

Archaeologist. A digger upperer of old crap in other words.

Ma'am you besmirch the occupation of one of the worlds greatst archaeologists and professors.... Dr. Jones.

He was a shite Archaeologist was Mr J. He never recorded or took detailed (mind numbingly boring) plans of any of his finds. He would have been laughed out of my old office.
I wouldn't have minded him 'excavating' me though. :rolleyes:
Dx

Certainly then he was the most famous. AND he has a new movie that opens on May 22nd. . . . so there.

My first paying job was scooping ice cream at Baskin Robbins. It sucked ASS!!!

When I was in college a year or two later my mom called me one night to ask me if I had ever worked with a guy named John Something-or-another. I said, "yes, he was the shift manager when I worked there. Why?" She told me that she had just seen him on the local news being dragged off by the police. Apparently he had hidden a camera in the employee bathroom to watch everyone change, etc! :eek: Thank god it was before the internet was big!

He does? Must make a note of that.
Well I was on Time Team...so there.
Actually, fair point he is better than me, I don't own a whip.

Back
Top Bottom