OT: London Suede "Head Music"

• Thread starter John tha...well, you know
  • Start date
J

John tha...well, you know

Well, it's been out for four days now.

Thoughts?

I think it's unintentionally hilarious at points, great in others. Uneven is the keyword.

Cliche' busta

It's a great album, and I play it endlessly.....but let's be honest, 'Electricity' DOES sound like a Lenny Kravitz song, doesn't it?¿ Well, it's been out for four days now.¿ Thoughts?¿ I think it's unintentionally hilarious at points, great in¿ others. Uneven is the keyword.

gayanimalsex

> Well, it's been out for four days now.¿ Thoughts?¿ I think it's unintentionally hilarious at points, great in¿ others. Uneven is the keyword.

I don't know if it hilarious by it is uneven. I have it on vinyl and I only play the b-side. The side with "Everything will flow" and "She's in fashon".

so many illustrations

I absolutely love the album. I've had the album for over a month now and I can't stop listening to it. I mean the album filled with what one may call meaningless lyrics like "she is stupid as mouse," but so what. They complement the music perfectly creating a flawless association between the music and the lyrics. The music sets the mood perfectly for the image being depicted through the lyrics. For example, in "Down," a sorrow mood is perfectly depicted through the music. In HI-FI, there is HI-FI/ SCI-FI mood created with way the voice sounds and drums are coupled together. The music itself just ROCKS!!!! I love the new direction that they took using lots of synthesizers and other gadgets and stuff. This does not mean that there is no substance to the album, though. At first listen, it would seem that way, but there is definitely substance to it. Things I can relate like "everything will" (Oh! I just love how he sings this part and how it relaxes me. Then it makes me think/reflect/realize, you know what… no matter what happens "everything will flow" --You should not stress too much!), "All the people in your life say you're down and your down" (The entire song "Down" makes me self-reflect on what I'm all about) and my personal favorite "…and you'll se my heart is broke in two cos I'VE SEEN THE REAL YOU" (I can totally relate. It's like when you meet someone and you make stupid illusions about the person. Then you find out what they are really all about and you are completely let down). The more I listen the more I find things I can relate.

Electricity- I' m sort of sick of it since I been listening to it for months now, but it sounds great. Also, just yesterday.. it especially sounded great yesterday at indie club

Savoir Faire- reminds me of someone I know. Love the music, especially the intro. It is killer.

Can't Get Enough- Love the pumping beat to it. Can listen to it over and over forever.

Everything will flow-Great Richard song, simple yet very uplifting especially the "everything will flow" part and "life is just LUL-LUL-ABY"

Down- my favorite song when I first listened to the album… I guess because I find it very personal and I know exactly what the lyrics try to present. The music just sets the mood perfectly. Personally, the mood set by music can be either pitiful if I'm feeling sad or it can be reflective if I'm feeling happy or uplifted.

She is Fashion- It better go to #1 in the UK charts and stay there for a while.

absbestos-love it. Got to analyze it more. I think there is something neat to it especially with the title it has

Head Music-my least fav but its still great especially the "give me head, give me head.." part

Elephant Man- This song rocks!!! I just songs that are comical. Why does everything have to serious?

HI-FI- Love the music

Indian Strings- My favorite at the moment

He's Gone- Most people love this song at first listen. I did not think it all that, but I starting really get into it

Crack in the Union Jack-Perfect ending for such a marvelous album

Hopefully, the tour will be much better than the Coming Up Tour which was a total let down.

Well, I've always quite liked Suede, but this is the first time that, upon a new release, I've had a difficult time deciding something so basic as whether I even like the album or not. I've been listening since early May (got it on import), so it's not hte case that I need some time to let it absorb. Well, it is definately great music to walk to as it's real high enery ad for the same reason there are a few decent club tunes really. Okay.. I definately like some select tracks from the album, but on a whole... don't know.

Re:Suede "Head Music"...an opinion

i think overall there are too many disappointing tracks for you to call it a 'good' album. i don't like savoir faire/head music/elephant man/hi-fi/crack in the union jack and to dislike 5 of 13 songs can't really make it a special album. also, several of the songs last too long; the majority have the same structured build up: drums/synth then add guitar then a couple of minutes later the vocals come in.
the 'string' sound on the synth is totally fake and crap (i think they must have been listening to the infamous synth on the 'maladjusted' album. the lyrics of suede songs are progressively worse as they continue to the point where we have drivel like 'elephant man' and 'hi-fi'. 'crack in the union jack' a political statement???!?!? err...how much politics can you fit in 2 verses?

I prefer...

the grandiose, pretentious, melodramatic ego-mania of "Dog Man Star". Brett's lyrics on that were top...production wasn't so hot though.

jason
xoxo

> Well, it's been out for four days now.¿ Thoughts?

It's so bad and irrelevant that I'm sure it'll be the album to finally catapult them into stardom in the USA.

> It's so bad and irrelevant that I'm sure it'll be the album to¿ finally catapult them into stardom in the USA.

Ha! You're probably absolutely right, Sam.

I think they pulled off the electronic experiments better than Blur did. And the dumb lyrics, whether intentional or no, certainly give it a levity that avoids the pretensions of '13.'

I can't remember who it was at the moment, but the 5 songs they pointed out as being weak are exactly the same ones I think should have been left off. One hopes that the B sides aren't worse than these meanderers.

She's In Fashion should rightly be a #1. Asbestos would be a wise single choice; I love the muted trumpet in the middle 8. Reminds me of Pulp's This is Hardcore. Electricity is a cracking song, good choice for a first single (I've only just now heard it being States-side and all). I suppose I longed for more Richard guitar work and for Simon to be cut loose more often. I feel he operated more on the level of Larry Mullen in the U2 days of Achtung and Zooropa.

Cheers,

Jamie

It's great. Not the best, but not the worst. Veteran Suedeheads aren't going to accept it; it's not a guitar-heavy album like the S/T. And, it's not heavily composed like "Dog Man Star". But, it's pretty solid. The ones that will be quick to accept it are the ones that accept Richard Oakes.

"Head Music" really pushed their sound away from the Butler era. I see no remnaints of the sound at all. The production is great, but I miss the Ed Buller mix--this record sounds more Def Leppard than the Spiders from Mars.

"Electricity" had to grow on me; I hated it at first, but it's catchy. Brett has too many effects on his voice, and it almost disguises it. And, sometimes there is trouble distinguishing the guitar parts from MIDI. The hard-rocking songs tend to be oversaturated, and the only one that seems to be loud is "Elephant Man".

Speaking of "Elephant Man", not everyone agrees on it, but I like it. Neil came up with a good hook, but the lyrics.....uh, well, who cares! It's Suede, not The Smiths!

My favorite song is "She's in Fashion". To me, it was a departure from the typical ubpeat songs they put out. More danceable, and certainly a potential single. It think it's gonne be their next. I hope it becomes a crossover hit.

There are a few duds, though. I always skip "Hi-fi" because it's not very hi-fi. "Indian Strings" is kinda bunk. And, I was just getting into "Crack in the Union Jack" until the song @#!!!ing ended!!! What is it, a 30 second song?!?! They must've ran out of studio time or something, because the song was great, but then they pulled the @#!!!ing plug!!!

At this point, Suede has yet to release a record I didn't like. I have all of them, and they still rotate my stereo daily. "Head Music" is a good one, and you really should give it a chance. Don't waste you money on that new Gene, though. It's crap.

Back
Top Bottom