New Year's Eve/Day-traditions and superstitions

EPbabe

Do you have any traditions or superstitions that refer to any of these two days? You know, like the Spanish eating 12 grapes at midnight, and stuff like that.

We have loads, and though I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, I keep many of them.

Wearing a new pair of socks for stepping into the new year.

Eating lentils on NY's day, to get rich.

Avoid eating chicken (I don't really know if it refers to today or tomorrow. If the previous, I've just screwed it....:o), but eat pork instead because pork brings good luck.

Avoid doing the laundry and not leave laundry on the drier. It brings bad luck, but I don't really know why. I did the laundry yesterday so I shall take the clothes off the drier before midnight...

So come on, tell us about your traditions/superstitions!:D

In Japan we have tradition to eat buckwheat noodles on New Year's Eve.
Noodles are like thin and long threads which they wish longevity.

In Japan we have tradition to eat buckwheat noodles on New Year's Eve.
Noodles are like thin and long threads which they wish longevity.

Ah, I totally get it. It's like lentils for us, which refers to wealth (simbolizing coins). :)

Ah, I totally get it. It's like lentils for us, which refers to wealth (simbolizing coins). :)
None, just asking people after midnight if they had any nice presents for christmas this year? And if they don't get it, we laugh hysterically:p EVERY year

None, just asking people after midnight if they had any nice presents for christmas this year? And if they don't get it, we laugh hysterically:p EVERY year

That's cool :cool: I've almost fallen for it, ALMOST. :o

Spanish New Year's Eve (Nochevieja, or Fin de Año) celebrations usually begin with a family dinner, traditionally including shrimp and lamb or turkey. Spanish people believe that wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve brings good luck. The actual countdown is primarily followed from the clock on top of the Casa de Correos building in Puerta del Sol square in Madrid. It is traditional to eat twelve grapes, one on each chime of the clock. This tradition has its origins in 1909, when grape growers in Alicante thought of it as a way to cut down on the large production surplus they had had that year. Nowadays, the tradition is followed by almost every Spaniard, and the twelve grapes have become synonymous with the New Year. After the clock has finished striking twelve, people greet each other and toast with sparkling wine such as cava or champagne, or alternatively with cider.

After the family dinner and the grapes, many young people attend New Year parties at pubs, discotheques and similar places (these parties are called cotillones de nochevieja, after the Spanish word cotillón, which refers to party supplies like confetti, party blowers, party hats, etc.). Parties usually last until the next morning and range from small, personal celebrations at local bars to huge parties with guests numbering the thousands at hotel convention rooms. Early next morning, party attendees usually gather to have the traditional winter breakfast of ‘’chocolate con churros’’ (hot chocolate and fried pastry).

I found that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Eve

There are the traditions of other several countries as well :)

For good luck and some people also believe that it brings you love and good sex :D

That I like! :)

Spanish New Year's Eve (Nochevieja, or Fin de Año) celebrations usually begin with a family dinner, traditionally including shrimp and lamb or turkey. Spanish people believe that wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve brings good luck. The actual countdown is primarily followed from the clock on top of the Casa de Correos building in Puerta del Sol square in Madrid. It is traditional to eat twelve grapes, one on each chime of the clock. This tradition has its origins in 1909, when grape growers in Alicante thought of it as a way to cut down on the large production surplus they had had that year. Nowadays, the tradition is followed by almost every Spaniard, and the twelve grapes have become synonymous with the New Year. After the clock has finished striking twelve, people greet each other and toast with sparkling wine such as cava or champagne, or alternatively with cider.

After the family dinner and the grapes, many young people attend New Year parties at pubs, discotheques and similar places (these parties are called cotillones de nochevieja, after the Spanish word cotillón, which refers to party supplies like confetti, party blowers, party hats, etc.). Parties usually last until the next morning and range from small, personal celebrations at local bars to huge parties with guests numbering the thousands at hotel convention rooms. Early next morning, party attendees usually gather to have the traditional winter breakfast of ‘’chocolate con churros’’ (hot chocolate and fried pastry).

I found that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Eve

There are the traditions of other several countries as well :)

Oh I love chocolate con churros! :D

Ummm Don't drink too much so that the new day is not spent sick.

This is a very wise statement that I think too many people tend to ignore. I will do my best to abide by it.

Oh no... there is plenty of drinking to be done. Just don't get that hangover tomorrow or Jan 1st becomes a sick day instead of a free day.

Back
Top Bottom