JOHNNY MARR'S BRILLIANCE

B

Ben

I admit, I wasn't too much of a Johnny Marr fan in the very beginning, only because I thought his playing was too simple. But after listening to band after band: genre after genre (..eg. jazz, ambient, Krautrock..) I can "finally" appreciate Johnny Marr's playing--especially on Hatful Of Hollow. Less is MORE in his playing; only because he carefully chooses his notes. Take for example, "What Difference Does It Make?" It's almost like listening to "jazz scales". Amazing.

I don't mean to be rude at all, but do you play guitar? Those guitar parts are anything but simple, this charming man is so hard! who is your fav guitar player?
-jake

I've been playing Gtr for 18 years and he's the only player who really impressed me. Less is more is my Motto as well. Sometimes, an open chord using a Capo can be very effective. JM is the Capo master.

His stuff is pretty tough, especially in The Smiths. The easy crap is in The The, but who want's to learn that @#!!! anyways? Yeah, Johnny is a master, but a songwriter first. And, that's why he sounds so good.

Bear in mind, that alot of his riffs are not easy at all. Everytime I meet some guitar player that swears Marr riffs are easy, I end up laughing, finding out that they always play it wrong. He's up there with Hendrix, and somewhere online, they have a .wav of Johnny playing "Purple Haze".

JOHNNY MARR IS ONE OF THE GREATEST GUITAR PLAYERS EVER!!!!! SO REALLY I DON'T KNOW HOW AND WHERE YOU GET OFF SAYING HIS GUITAR PLAYING IS SIMPLE?!!!!!!!!

> JOHNNY MARR IS ONE OF THE GREATEST GUITAR PLAYERS EVER!!!!! SO¿ REALLY I DON'T KNOW HOW AND WHERE YOU GET OFF SAYING HIS GUITAR¿ PLAYING IS SIMPLE?!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SIMPLE--IT WAS THE OTHER GUY

And don't write in caps unless you want people to think you are some incoherent freak.

For the record, he is the greatest.

Misunderstanding

Guys, I think you might agree with me that JM is a better songwriter than he is a guitarist. And THAT is what makes him great. On the other hand, you've got guitar wizards like Malmsteen (granted, its a different style) who couldn't write a song to save their life. The Guitar God thing doesn't interest JM, don't forget that he's an equally talented Keyboard player & programmer & Harmonica player, etc, etc, etc.

Buy the New Electronic and you'll see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom