Question about Jake?

Call me silly but even after all this time of being a Morrissey fan I have neevr bothered to find out who Jake is and yet there is much mention of his name, who is he?

...by the way please don't really call me silly :(

Love PTxx.

He was Morrissey's PA between (I think) '92 and '94. Apparently he used to be a boxer, hence Moz's obsession with boxing during the mid-90s.

They say they two of them lived together too, but that it ended in '95, reportedly due to Jake's drug addiction. The song Sunny is said to be about Jake.

Also, in '97 Moz said in an interview that he had loved someone, but that it had finished two years earlier, which would make it appear to be Jake he's talking about.

However, no-one knows if it was a sexual relationship, or whether it was a platonic friendship, as with Johnny Marr. Moz said several times during The Smiths that he 'loved' Marr, so anyone trying to decipher Moz's sexuality from the Jake era should think again!

Morrissey is also known to have had several Jake-type relationships with women over the years, so to say that he must be gay purely because he lived with Jake is wide of the mark to say the least.

Last edited:
He was Morrissey's PA between (I think) '92 and '94. Apparently he used to be a boxer, hence Moz's obsession with boxing during the mid-90s.

They say they two of them lived together too, but that it ended in '95, reportedly due to Jake's drug addiction. The song Sunny is said to be about Jake.

Also, in '97 Moz said in an interview that he had loved someone, but that it had finished two years earlier, which would make it appear to be Jake he's talking about.

However, no-one knows if it was a sexual relationship, or whether it was a platonic friendship, as with Johnny Marr. Moz said several times during The Smiths that he 'loved' Marr, so anyone trying to decipher Moz's sexuality from the Jake era should think again!

Morrissey is also known to have had several Jake-type relationships with women over the years, so to say that he must be gay purely because he lived with Jake is wide of the mark to say the least.

Thanks for this, I didn't know this before, it is really interesting.

Love PTxx.

There is a video somewhere from that signing where you can see him. 'The Operation' is also said to be about him, and perhaps also 'Best friend on the payroll'?

I don't know and don't care whether they were romantically involved.

Heres a good story. f*** knows if its true.... From the main site not Anno Domini (ie after You Are The Quarry..)

I spotted that old Moz sidekick Jake paying pool in an East End drinking establishment on Saturday. Despite the presence of his less than friendly looking chums I finally summoned up the guts to speak to the said suedehead. 'Jake?' I tentatively began.

'Yeah'? he responded.

So it was him! At last I was on the brink, the cusp, the very precipice of being privy to some salacious juicy gossip on the Great Mancunian Hermit himself!!! I steeled myself . . .

'Seen Moz recently?' I enquired, affecting the air of studied indifference.

'f*** off.'

I froze. Had he really told me to f*** off? or was he just coughing?

It was said as casually as on might blink or swot an annoying fly. I decided for my own safety to leave at this point when, adding insult to injury, one of his tattooed acquaintances branded me a 'f***ing student' I left in a state of utter dejection. Not only had I failed in my quest for gossip but I had been publicly humiliated into the bargain. Later however, I was proudly telling my housemates that Jake had told me to f*** off! 'Er . . . Who's Jake?' they chorused.

I believe that boyfriend Jake is a different person to photographer Jake though, right? There was a big discussion about it on here years ago.

Back
Top Bottom