What was the deal with the KROQ phone interview from 2004? Was it fake?

Patrick McGoohan

Dialing it in from heaven
I was just remembering the little 'controversy' surrounding the KROQ phone interview in '04. Does anyone still have a copy of it?

What was the deal with it, anyways? :confused: Does anyone remember?

EDIT: To jog everyone's memory, it was widely rumored that the interview was fake, but that Moz would never admit it. Some people thought the stage manager did the interview for Moz, because it didn't sound like Moz and the person in question worded things differently than we'd think Moz would, but Moz's camp always maintained it was him.

Anyone else remember this??
(Or am I going crazies? :D)

Last edited:
I was just remembering the little 'controversy' surrounding the KROQ phone interview in '04. Does anyone still have a copy of it?

What was the deal with it, anyways? :confused: Does anyone remember?

EDIT: To jog everyone's memory, it was widely rumored that the interview was fake, but that Moz would never admit it. Some people thought the stage manager did the interview for Moz, because it didn't sound like Moz and the person in question worded things differently than we'd think Moz would, but Moz's camp always maintained it was him.

Anyone else remember this??
(Or am I going crazies? :D)

No, you do remember it.... Crazies? Can't comment. :)

Last edited:
I remember it. There was a recording that was supposed to be Morrissey talking to KROQ and it was around the time of the Halloween makeup show. It was in between the time that the originally scheduled show was canceled and the makeup show happened, I think. I had a recording and I'm sure I have it around somewhere...

I thought it was Morrissey, but I don't remember what he said. I remember people thinking that it wasn't him, and I remember thinking that it was him, but that's all I remember.

I remember it. There was a recording that was supposed to be Morrissey talking to KROQ and it was around the time of the Halloween makeup show. It was in between the time that the originally scheduled show was canceled and the makeup show happened, I think. I had a recording and I'm sure I have it around somewhere...

I thought it was Morrissey, but I don't remember what he said. I remember people thinking that it wasn't him, and I remember thinking that it was him, but that's all I remember.

Thanks Dave. It sounds like you remember exactly what I do. :D
I thought I had the recording too, somewhere, but now it looks like it's on some old hard drive or other.

Does anyone have this recording? Puuhleeeze? :o

Also, was there ever any semi-definitive answer as to what happened? Or is it (yet another) forevermore Moz mystery?

Dunno. On the other hand it sounds like him, on the other hand it doesn't :confused: If it is him, he sounds kinda ill...

If you've listened recent interview with Russell Brand, you know it's not him.
Even Morrissey got a sore throat, he doesn't sound like the guy on the phone.

Mmmm, there are definitely a lot of similaities in the voice, but the differences to what we are used to make it seem not quite right... I don't think its him.

The interesting thing was (I'm sure Kewpie can dig up the thread), you can hear Moz whispering to Charlie, prompting him. If the youtube version isn't clear enough I think I have an mp3.

You can't actually hear Morrissey prompting him on the mp3, but someone from camp Moz was def. giving the cues. Hence the long, confused pauses.

The chances of Morrissey having someone do the call for him are very high -- the chances of him letting them do it without him even being there are nil, I would say.

You can't actually hear Morrissey prompting him on the mp3, but someone from camp Moz was def. giving the cues. Hence the long, confused pauses.

Mmmm, there are definitely a lot of similaities in the voice, but the differences to what we are used to make it seem not quite right... I don't think its him.

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

Something is just off. His usual 'um's' are missing and when does he ever say 'doyouknowwhatImean'? You know what I mean? And he's at "89%", shouldn't that be 5% or 95%? ;)

If you look at the youtube info, the clip is filed under: Comedy :rolleyes: :D Thanks to 9x!

if it is him, he's either sick, really tired, or drugged or something...

Eh. Whatever.

Thats not him at all. The accent is all wrong plus I've heard him with a sore throat and he doesn't sound like that. Made me giggle though.

Back
Top Bottom