Morrissey fans boycotting Morrissey over immigration controversy

Theo

The Telegraph reports that Morrissey fans have started to boycott his music (somehow I missed that while browsing the Morrissey message boards!), and they quote one poster named Slimjim of Bradford (the rest must be in one of these threads...somewhere!).

Well, I sure won't join them, wherever they are. But...the Telegraph reports, you decide.

Morrissey sparks row over immigration
By Aislinn Simpson
Last Updated: 7:31pm GMT 28/11/2007

The outspoken former Smiths singer Morrissey has found himself at the centre of a row after alleged comments about immigration and its impact on British identity in a magazine interview.

The star, who has enjoyed a highly successful solo career since the band’s split, reportedly told the music magazine NME that Britain had suffered an "immigration explosion", adding: "England is a memory now".

"The gates are flooded and anybody can have access to England and join in," he was reported as telling NME reporter Tim Jonze.

According to the magazine, the singer - who now lives in Rome - said that while he didn’t have anything against people from other countries, "the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears".

"The British identity is very attractive, I grew up into it and I find it quaint and very amusing," he went on.

"Other countries have held on to their basic identity yet it seems to me that England was thrown away."

He said that while immigration does enrich the British identity, it meant saying goodbye to "the Britain you once knew".

"The change in England is so rapid compared to the change in any other country.

"If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won’t hear an English accent.

"You’ll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

He was challenged over the comments in a second interview, in which he insisted he did not intend to be "inflammatory".

"I find racism very silly," he said. "Almost too silly to discuss. It’s beyond reason. And makes no sense and is ludicrous. I’ve never heard a good argument in favour of racism."

But his alleged comments, published in the magazine today, sparked outrage among some fans who said they would boycott the singer’s Best Of album due to be released in the new year.

One, named Slimjim, of Bradford, wrote on an internet message board: "It’s totally out of order. Morrissey sounds like a Tory MP these days. It’s a disgrace. I’ll think twice about buying his next album."

It is not the first time he has caused controversy, nor the first time he has fallen out with the magazine’s editors.

In 1992, he was criticised by NME after he appeared on stage in Finsbury Park to support Madness wrapped in a Union Jack flag.

Some of his song titles and lyrics have also attracted criticism, including the tracks Bengali in Platforms and National Front Disco, which included the lyrics: ‘You’ve gone to the National Front Disco/Because you want the day to come sooner’.

But his manager responded angrily, accusing NME of a "poorly thought out and terribly executed attempt at character assassination" of the 48-year-old.

"Anti-racist songs such as "Irish Blood, English Heart," "America Is Not The World" and "I Will See You In Far-Off Places" tell you the true measure of the man," Merck Mercuriadis wrote on the Morrissey fan website True To You.

Dr Rob Berkeley, deputy director of the Runnymede Trust, which campaigns for equality and justice, said that while he did not agree with Morrissey’s comments, his views were not that uncommon.

"Once, Morrissey was a hero for many young people; now he simply shows he is out of touch," he said.

"I understand Morrissey now lives in Italy. Those who would choose to agree with him should bear in mind that those who are currently migrants in another country have little credibility in condemning migration to the UK."

Morrissey’s spokesman was unavailable for comment.

Now "Slimjim of Bradford" is part of the story?

This is taking one surreal turn after another.

In a democratic society one must respect someone`s political views and disagree with them but have the intelligence not to reject them for it. A true fan would still be a fan even were he to be utterly opposed to them on every level.

I love the fact he says what he thinks.you don`t have to agree with him but you`ve got to admire him for it.He`ll never be establishment anyway.

I`m a leftie vegetarian and i`m not very well about to start loathing anyone who eats meat or votes Tory.

If people truly do boycott him for having an opinion that offends their own sensibilities then bloody good riddance.

I have to admit, I do plan to boycott the "Best Of" album. I really don't approve of yet another useless "hits" compilation; I will just buy the new songs a la carte on iTunes. Enough of your endless attempts to wring every last dollar out of your back catalog, Morrissey! (You can quote me on that, Telegraph.)

This is really laughable - ha ha ha ha ha ha

but sadly there are the sad twats that will read this and will take it as gospel...

Jukebox Jury

If there's one thing worse than NME, it's the national dailies.

Wankers

There is a slimjim user here who last logged a couple days ago, well before this story broke.

So who is this Slimjim of Bradford? A figment of some journo's imagination at the Telegraph? Well, it is the Telegraph. They can't even spell Morrissey's name correctly (see the article where they list the top 94 living genuises), can they?

It doesn't appear to be anyone who posts on the Mozzolo discussion boards, the only boards that matter when it comes to Morrissey. Wouldn't it be a scream if there really was a Slimjim of Bradford who posted on an actual Morrissey-oriented (I know the article doesn't specify Morrissey-oriented) Internet discussion board? Wouldn't it be even better if it were a posting on MOZWA.com's discussion board? :p

Last edited:
They speak of "some" fans!
How many fans has Moz got?
Tens, hundreds of thousands!
Why not write about the majority of the fans that support him?
Noho, of course not!
Sad, sad people at the Telegraph... :mad:

I don't think the music should be boycotted due to personal beliefs. We all have them. They don't really affect his music in a bad way...

Well, maybe this can work to Morrissey's favor if he decides to bring a libel suit against the NME.

"The Telegraph reported that I have at least lost ONE fan over this business..."

No fans are boycotting Morrissey's music. Oh jeez.

I hate the NME. The Telegraph is just being evil and trying to sell their product. :mad:

The only people who would 'boycott' (and I use the term loosely) Mozzer are people who wouldn't have bought his album or gone to a gig in the first place. Thus rendering the 'boycott' laughable, at best.

We love you, Moz. As we say 'round these parts: don't worry 'bout those silly mamma jammas. They're just reinforcing how much we believe in you. :D

Just I agree, I have seen absolutely no evidence that any of his fans are boycotting him. I hope he knows what a solid and unflappable fan base he has. I mean, come on. We've been through harder times than this, I've been made fun of lots of times for loving Moz: and I don't care. I think that, most importantly, his art is utter genius, and that he comes across as a good man with good intentions. The NME are a bunch of wankers just out to increase their circulation, and they know that putting him on the cover will boost it.

Viva La Moz!

The Daily Mirror had an article about Moz in this morning as well.

Music legend stirs up race row, etc etc :rolleyes:

Link?

At least they call him a music legend.

Daily Mirror

These papers make England look really bad. Most of the top news is about football stars, and then we have "Amy Winehouse: No Sleep For Three Days" :eek: (I'm worried about Amy), and "Britney Confirmed Pregnant" (I'm worried about Britney's imaginary fetus).

Daily Mirror

These papers make England look really bad. Most of the top news is about football stars, and then we have "Amy Winehouse: No Sleep For Three Days" :eek: (I'm worried about Amy), and "Britney Confirmed Pregnant" (I'm worried about Britney's imaginary fetus).

Is there a connection between Amy's three-day bender and Britney's pregnancy? Amy does have a rather husky voice...

Back
Top Bottom