New NME Morrissey interview???

dont have access to a scanner and i am at work so may struggle to type it out but if i get a chance i promise to try - at least the salient bits.

Earlier this year I went to Dublin for the first time in my life.
I had heard great stories about it about the friendly people and so on but when I got there, I felt like I was in Poland or whatever country.
I am NOT, repeat NOT a racist, quite the contrary but I didn't have the feeling that I was in Ireland/Dublin.
Everywhere you went, whether it was the hotel or a shop or a restaurant, someone who obviously wasn't Irish was working there.
So yeah I think that's what Moz is talking about.

I'm very curious whether the "original" interview will ever see the light of day, btw.:rolleyes:

Shoplifters of the world unite

dont have access to a scanner and i am at work so may struggle to type it out but if i get a chance i promise to try - at least the salient bits.

Thanks for the offer!

But if anyone can scan it sooner, then Paulc might not have to bother.

I rather like the idea of every Moz fan shoplifting (and not getting caught) a copy of this week's nme. Maybe it would serve the nme right for the stitch up.

But maybe not really. Wouldn't shoplifting hurt the newsstand merchants more? Don't most periodicals generate the majority of revenue through adverts rather than through subscription fees alone?

It's not really that exciting, but perhaps the best way to show disdain for the nme is to ignore them. It's not hard to do because if it weren't for Morrissey being featured in their pages, I'd never bother with them. They went downhill in the 90s. Recommending and hyping utterly shite bands. What happened?

Re: Shoplifters of the world unite

Thanks for the offer!

But if anyone can scan it sooner, then Paulc might not have to bother.

I rather like the idea of every Moz fan shoplifting (and not getting caught) a copy of this week's nme. Maybe it would serve the nme right for the stitch up.

But maybe not really. Wouldn't shoplifting hurt the newsstand merchants more? Don't most periodicals generate the majority of revenue through adverts rather than through subscription fees alone?

It's not really that exciting, but perhaps the best way to show disdain for the nme is to ignore them. It's not hard to do because if it weren't for Morrissey being featured in their pages, I'd never bother with them. They went downhill in the 90s. Recommending and hyping utterly shite bands. What happened?

Exactly. Don't buy it. Hopefully someone will scan it here, but if no one does oh well...

Exactly. Don't buy it. Hopefully someone will scan it here, but if no one does oh well...

Someone DOES need to scan it. Conjecture and half-truths fan the flames (and I'm half guilty)

Also £2 is quite expensive for toilet paper

Someone DOES need to scan it. Conjecture and half-truths fan the flames (and I'm half guilty)

Also £2 is quite expensive for toilet paper

I'll do it when I get home tonight. By the way, the users of DrownedinSound know exactly who's looking like a twat in all of this...

Link.

Peter

Yes, it's amazing how we are getting a lot of heated debate from people who haven't even read the interview. If someone can scan or copy it so everyone can read it and decide for themselves maybe we can have a sensible discussion. So far in the quotes reproduced I can't see anything as alarming as that cover quote makes out, but I'd rather not give the NME my money to read the full interview.

No, i don't live in London,thankfully.However,on my last three visits this year I heard PLENTY of English accents.(Mind you,what IS an English accent in the 21st century?)
Btw,I've not called anyone racist.

Then you must have stayed exclusively in south London, where I work, where all the English Londoners are! Anywhere across the river and it's hard to find many Londoners - that includes English people not from London, myself included. Again, not a criticism, just my experience of living in London for 7 years.

I've never heard it called that by someone without an agenda.

However, I agree with your preceding point. London is enormously diverse, and this by no means a bad thing; however, it's human nature to feel a degree of mistrust and discomfort when confronted with people who are 'not the same', whether this is due to accent, language, race (although I'd like to think most of us are over that one) or culture - the real sticking point. It is also only right to rationalise that mistrust and discomfort and deal with the fact that society changes, we're all human beings and we should all be able to live together. The main concern with immigration, into this country at least, is that the infrastructure may not necessarily be able to take it forever. Aside from that, it could be argued that we should be proud of living in a country, or at least a city (for the London-dwellers among us) that so many people want to be a part of.

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, I'm meant to be working and tried to write this quickly!

I don't feel one iota of discomfort about living in a city where I, as an English person, have become the minority. If I didn't like it I'd move to one of the dozens of villages and towns in England where everyone is white and speaks English. Major cities excepted, much of England is still very English, something that Moz doesn't seem to acknowledge, my only criticism of him in regard to this interview. He constantly talks about England but in fact he's talking about England's major cities. A friend of mine is from Shrewsbury, for example, and says 99% of those living there are English and white.

I love London and I love that I can hear 15 accents and 10 languages on any given day! It's a fantastic city and it's great that so many people want to live here. However, it is worth mentioning that arguably the American equivalent, NYC, has very much kept its sense of being in America despite its residents. Is there anyone who thinks immigration should not be restricted?? It seems even to suggest this makes a person a Tory, which sickens me because I'd jump off a bridge before I'd ever vote for that scum!

it will be interesting to see if conor mcnicholas recants, refutes, denies saying morrissey is the eddie booth of our times.

Why did Merck wait 3 days for Conor's reply? It makes no sense. He MUST have known that the mag was going to press and the reason he wasn't getting a reply back was because the article was going to be disparaging.

Why did he not issue the legal letter before the mag turned up on shelves? Because this is good publicity for Moz as well, he comes out of it saying nothing that bad and NME look stupid.

As Wilde said, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Here's the interview Part one

Excuse the crappy quality

DSC_0001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom